Max Raid group size

GladDog

Max Raid group size

Postby GladDog » Thu May 14, 2020 4:00 pm

Over the last 15 years, maximum team sizes in a raid have been dropping in MMOs as graphics quality has gone up. Assuming there is a good FPS, what is the best cap on raid size?

16 Players
24 Players
30 Players
50 Players
75 Players
100 Players
No cap at all, but give me at least 30 FPS on a decent computer.
Something else, I’ll tell you in the forums
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

GladDog

Re: Max Raid group size

Postby GladDog » Thu May 14, 2020 4:01 pm

I voted 50. I think beyond that it is nigh impossible to organize. Events are different, like the Rikti invasion events in Coh. Since people are not focused in a small area of the zone, a lot more people can be involved.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu May 14, 2020 5:21 pm

went with 50 also. and for the same reasons. getting 50 individuals to do different tasks is difficult to say the least.

also putting a league together with 50 individuals is time consuming.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun May 17, 2020 8:59 am

So far in the voting, 50 is the number 1 choice, followed by 30, and then by no cap at all.

As I mentioned in another post, we are doing invasion testing. We're pretty confident that we can get 50 or even 60 heroes fighting in tight quarters (which is the worst case scenario for FPS), with quite a few more enemies on the map. FPS seems to be in the range of 25-35 most of the time, with obvious benefits to more powerful computers. But we seem to be there.

All of these tests are out in the open, in our worst spot in the city. In a special raid map, we can likely do more.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun May 24, 2020 11:56 am

Yep, more votes but pretty much the same results, with 50 being the number one pick. This sounds good, we will be able to do this.

RonnyRulz

Postby RonnyRulz » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:24 am

Most players never even participate in raids, and MMOs which focus on raiding end games are horrible IMO.

Since this is a small team game. I strongly prefer if there is 0 focus on raiding. It takes away from what matters (everything else).

I love major zone wide events though. Invasions, holiday events, etc. I will never forget playing Everquest and seeing the gnolls attacking Qeynos, in multiple zones. I love holiday events a ton.

Natural forming raids are also awesome because they dont require organization, guilds, VOIP, seriousness, and all that other immersion breaking stuff. Rift's Rifts (and other MMO's equivalents), huge powerful super villains or monsters rampaging the city, etc.

The only raids I have ever enjoyed is LOTRO raids, which arent raids. They're 6 or 12 man dungeons which you can set the level of. So I can solo or duo a 12man raid by lowering the level (or just having a harder fight). I still dislike that compared to more focus on events and random boss/invasion spawn rampages. The latter just seem very MMO.

All gamedevs should look into what % of the playerbase actually does raiding or organized play (guilds / serious raiding). I guarantee the % is very very low. And I think it is poor design to spend dev time on any system that only a minority will ever experience.

Oh, and with that said, I picked the smallest number, 16, but should have voted "Forums". However after reading about invasions in this thread and remembering how great those are, I'd have to vote no limit. Invasions are just so organic, natural, and MMO.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:07 pm

I think I've been using the wrong language about raids. What we are actually looking at are big battles, which are open to everyone, not end-game content, and can work out differently depending upon how many players participate.

You just come and join the fight (or do not). Very casual. Very fun.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:08 am

I think I've been using the wrong language about raids. What we are actually looking at are big battles, which are open to everyone, not end-game content, and can work out differently depending upon how many players participate.

You just come and join the fight (or do not). Very casual. Very fun.
Bit like Guild Wars 2's world bosses? You can either join in or walk away regardless of your level. I liked those when I played the game. I don't know what the maximum number of players in a zone was in GW2 but it seemed quite high and almost everybody joined those battles. Probably not easy to design though, having to cater for all those different levels to ensure that low level people who actually participate but do little damage get a reward while those high level ones who ride by, shoot a single arrow at the boss and move on, don't. Also support characters to take account of that do hardly any damage at all but do a lot in the fight. When it comes to sorting that lot out - rather you than me lol
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:27 am

Yes, like that. And we are specifically desiging so that teams benefit from having support characters on them. Rewards are provided based on the number of plyers on the team, not on damage delivered. So adding a support player to a team increases the rewards everyone receives, and the reverse also applies.

Return to “Polling Discussion”