Crafting

olepi

Re: Crafting

Postby olepi » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:42 am

I guess the first question to ask is: what is there to craft? Is this going to be a gear game, with armor and weapons to be crafted?
Or is it like CoH where you really don't have armor and weapons, so crafting is basically for stims and enhancements? Can we craft badges?

The next question is: how important are the crafters? In Ryzom for instance, weapons, armor, etc do not drop from quests or mobs. Only mats drop, and *everything* in the game is crafted. Or do the quests/mobs drop stuff that is just as good as what is crafted, so that crafting is just a personal hobby?

And what materials will be used for crafting? Are there special mats that require hunting down? Or will mats just drop from mobs or be found just lying around? are there real "gathering" professions? For example, in LoTRO the mats are just lying around on the surface, but you have to have the right profession to get them. In Ryzom mats have to be prospected for with skills and then dug up with different skills.

Also, what are the mechanics of crafting? Just hit a button anywhere? Do you have to be at a crafting table? Is crafting a mini-game where you have to interact to get the best output? Does crafting have levels of skill? Different recipes or blueprints to learn? Different professions? and how many can you learn at once? What about deconstructing items?

Finally, what kind of economy is there going to be, and how does crafting fit into that? Can we make profits from crafting? Or do we have to spend money to craft, making it a money sink?

My votes would be:
1) no gear crafting, just stims and enhancements, with some possible special temp powers or badges
2) the best items are crafted, but getting to that level will take a long time. Dropped items are 85% as good.
3) have a combination of dropped mats, and special mats that have to be searched out (maybe as part of a quest)
4) crafting is just hitting a button at a crafting table, except for special items like temp powers. that could require a mini-game to get the best result. Crafting skills are limited to one or two per player, crafting does level, and blueprints have to be discovered or bought. Some items can be deconstructed to get mats.
5) the economy should allow a crafter to make a profit, not just be a money sink

Example: with a technology background, I joined the Engineering Section and can find Engineering mats and items to deconstruct. I can make simple stims and basic enhancements for all types. Using special mats, I can learn to craft special items like temp powers in Engineering, or special Engineering stims with extra bonuses. Crafting the special things requires a mini-game at an Engineering crafting table. Running missions in the Engineering section and defeating certain bosses in Engineering grants special mats for these special items.
2019: 42 years on the Net.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:07 am

I guess the first question to ask is: what is there to craft? Is this going to be a gear game, with armor and weapons to be crafted?
Or is it like CoH where you really don't have armor and weapons, so crafting is basically for stims and enhancements? Can we craft badges?
Like CoH - enhancements are called Augments for SoH, but are otherwise the same concept. Other craftable things include temporary powers and boosts.
The next question is: how important are the crafters? In Ryzom for instance, weapons, armor, etc do not drop from quests or mobs. Only mats drop, and *everything* in the game is crafted. Or do the quests/mobs drop stuff that is just as good as what is crafted, so that crafting is just a personal hobby?
Well, that was kind of one of the original questions - how important do you want it to be? :P
And what materials will be used for crafting? Are there special mats that require hunting down? Or will mats just drop from mobs or be found just lying around? are there real "gathering" professions? For example, in LoTRO the mats are just lying around on the surface, but you have to have the right profession to get them. In Ryzom mats have to be prospected for with skills and then dug up with different skills.
Mats will drop from mobs. Harder mobs drop rarer mats.
Also, what are the mechanics of crafting? Just hit a button anywhere? Do you have to be at a crafting table? Is crafting a mini-game where you have to interact to get the best output? Does crafting have levels of skill? Different recipes or blueprints to learn? Different professions? and how many can you learn at once? What about deconstructing items?
Again, this is potentially one of the open questions, though I imagine most people will be leaning towards somewhere in the direction of "how CoH did it" :)
Finally, what kind of economy is there going to be, and how does crafting fit into that? Can we make profits from crafting? Or do we have to spend money to craft, making it a money sink?
You can make money from crafting if you want, though to do so you'd have to spend time killing things for the mats.
My votes would be:
1) no gear crafting, just stims and enhancements, with some possible special temp powers or badges
2) the best items are crafted, but getting to that level will take a long time. Dropped items are 85% as good.
3) have a combination of dropped mats, and special mats that have to be searched out (maybe as part of a quest)
4) crafting is just hitting a button at a crafting table, except for special items like temp powers. that could require a mini-game to get the best result. Crafting skills are limited to one or two per player, crafting does level, and blueprints have to be discovered or bought. Some items can be deconstructed to get mats.
5) the economy should allow a crafter to make a profit, not just be a money sink

Example: with a technology background, I joined the Engineering Section and can find Engineering mats and items to deconstruct. I can make simple stims and basic enhancements for all types. Using special mats, I can learn to craft special items like temp powers in Engineering, or special Engineering stims with extra bonuses. Crafting the special things requires a mini-game at an Engineering crafting table. Running missions in the Engineering section and defeating certain bosses in Engineering grants special mats for these special items.
Sounds like you'll like what's planned then :D
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

SweetSugar

Postby SweetSugar » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:41 pm

Oh yeah and 2 things I hated in SWTOR crafting.

Being forced to create hundreds of low-level junk gear to level crafting. You can't sell 50 level 2 gauntlets in the store when the drops are better, and the characters will only be level 2 for 8 minutes.

Also materials that only drop in multiplayer dungeons - you can't make blah because you have to play some 8 player dungeons 24 times and win all the rolls.

One thing I do like in SWTOR is a recent change. You can do all your low level crafting making "Assembly Components" - which are parts needed to make higher level stuff. No more making 20 grade 1 lightsabers, 20 grade 2 lightsabers, etc.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:54 pm

One thing I do like in SWTOR is a recent change. You can do all your low level crafting making "Assembly Components" - which are parts needed to make higher level stuff. No more making 20 grade 1 lightsabers, 20 grade 2 lightsabers, etc.
have not played in a few years, but this is new to me. so are the low level components used in all high level crafting? is it a tree where you build 5 low level components to assemble a medium level component? then 5 medium for one high level? etc?
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

SweetSugar

Postby SweetSugar » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:17 pm

have not played in a few years, but this is new to me. so are the low level components used in all high level crafting? is it a tree where you build 5 low level components to assemble a medium level component? then 5 medium for one high level? etc?
The crafting components are used in new items like Conquest items - things your guild needs to take over a planet. (like vehicles or command items) There is also some high level gear that needs components.

For instance, if you know the system, you can have 1 crafting skill and 2 other skills. Most crafts need a gathering mat (like archaeology) and a mission skill mat (like underworld trading). You can make grade 1 through 9 or 10 assembly components with your mats. Then as you get into the high level crafting, you start needing these components as materials. You can't just take the assembly components and make an item out of them, nor do I think you can upgrade like 10 grade 1's into a grade 2 or anything like that.

Also, each of the 6 crafting skills makes different assembly components. The crafting skills generally need the same assembly components they themselves can craft.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:32 pm

This is my crafting idea, submitted a couple of years ago...

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=668&p=7739&hilit=crafting#p7739
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Return to “General Discussion”