Which subscription plan will you start with?

GladDog

Which subscription plan will you start with?

Postby GladDog » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:07 am

When Ship of Heroes launches, it will be a subscription game. Longer subscription commitments will accompany lower prices per month. As a guess, how many months will you choose for your first subscription period?

Month-to-month (most expensive)
Three months
Six months
12 month
24 months (least expensive)
Something different, I’ll tell you in the forums
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

GladDog

Re: Which subscription plan will you start with?

Postby GladDog » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:09 am

I chose two years, which probably surprises no one :)

This will be my game when it releases. The only other game I may play, depending on what happens after the passing of Brad McQuaid, is Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen.

Red5

Postby Red5 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:07 am

To be fair and honest...

I do not relish the ideal of subscription during Beta phase. I have Donated and was a decent amount. I can see myself donating again...just for some reason it feels (to me) wrong to have to pay to play something not yet finished.

I get it, donate a lil over time or a lot in chunks = all the same really. The end goal is worthy cause, I am in agreeance.

I digress. I will probably forgo beta mostly and might just donate again later.

Leaving paying subscription when the game goes live. I will probably do 1 month just to see the state of the game. Is it fun, does it catch and keep my interest, etc.

After that initial month is when I'll decide if I want to devote more blocks of time. I'd recommend a 3 month block as well. You'll catch more fish with that imho.
...reporting in.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:39 am

This is really just being honest. Almost all games for the PC, and many for consoles, are being released when they are in a beta state. When City of Heroes was released, it was a mess. A whole lot of the costume pieces clipped really badly, although at that time people gave that a pass - they had never seen a character creator like that! The real problems were bad mechanics, not nearly enough content, and nothing, I mean nothing to do after level capping. At that time, after they fixed tanker resists, there was no way to beat the Hamidon, which was really the only thing for a level cap to do, before issue 2 fixed that raid.

When the game released (with a level cap of 40), Invul, Stone and Fire tankers could all reach 100% damage resistance to all damage types except psionic, which means they NEVER took damage. This should have been fixed in beta. Instead, they fixed it about 4 weeks after release, and before Issue 1, by putting a cap on damage resistance of 90% for tanks and 75% for everyone else. Some bad guys literally could not die, no matter how much DPS you laid on them. Speaking of DPS, the damage mechanics were such that Blasters could wipe the floor with everything in the game - especially Assault Rifle/ Device Blasters. And that was what most of the active players were. These mechanics were fixed in issue one - the fix was so harsh, that suddenly Blasters disappeared from the game, and City of Blasters became City of Tanks.

Some missions were not finishable. You had to get a GM to finish the mission for you.

I could go on and on. The point is that the game released at least 8 weeks (probably more like 12-15 weeks) before it should have. So the people that bought the game and subscribed were paying to beta, it just wasn't called a beta... SoH is being honest. They know the game will be in a beta state, but they need the income to finish it. While CoH's reasons were different (NCsoft had allowed Cryptic to delay the game twice, and were getting antsy to get some income flowing), it doesn't change the fact that the initial purchasers were paying to beta. SoH is just letting you know that fact BEFORE you start your sub!

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:25 am

Gonna have to go month to month at first. Not a problem because 1. I have money and 2. even MMO subscription models of the past 15 years are still cheaper than renting physical games the old way from 2005 all the way back to the 80s. Yeah, I'm entering into my old-fart years and still think back on driving a few miles on a Friday to rent a physical game from a gas station or movie rental store that I have to return by Sunday.
Lets check some of the prices that I think I remember from my old school gaming years. (sales tax excluded)

Late 80s - 2-day rental average $3.50 comes to $17.50 for ten days.

Early noughties - 2-day rental average $6.00 comes to roughly $18.00 for six days. (inflation sucks)

CoH 1-month subscription launch till close, IIRC, $15.99.

As long as you like the game you're playing the 1-month MMO subscription model wins-out every time, and even more-so if you pay for several months at a time.

I've been away from CoH for so long that a significant part of me doesn't want to return to anything similar. If SoH hooks me then I'll probably go for the 3-month plan more often than not as that was my preferred plan for CoH. We'll just have to wait and see.
Stop the spread of fake news. Don't share anything produced by CNN.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:32 am

In the near future we will once again be polling how much content we need to have (perhaps measurted in hours of playing time for a "typical" player?) when we release.

This relates, obviously, to the question about duration.

We're trying to work it all out. :)

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:26 am

In the near future we will once again be polling how much content we need to have (perhaps measurted in hours of playing time for a "typical" player?) when we release.

This relates, obviously, to the question about duration.

We're trying to work it all out. :)
I think the higher subscriptions like 1 or 2 years will increase after the first year of launch. The most important to keep an mmo alive is content, endgame content and season content (like a halloween event).
I have no doubt that SOH will be the most interesting superhero mmo for a very long time.
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

Odee

Postby Odee » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:52 pm

I'll start with 3 months, and go from there.
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

drbuzzard

Postby drbuzzard » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:48 am

I'll probably do a year.

Return to “Polling Discussion”