How Much Time...per Character

Consultant

How Much Time...per Character

Postby Consultant » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:46 am

Interesting, it seems that the general consensus is that we we spend 1-3 hours per main character, and also about the same for each alt.

I had guessed that the alts would receive less attention. Although, I don't know why I expected that. It's not what I actually do in other games.

Also, now that I think about it, it is not always obvious when I make a character if it is going to become my main.

Odee

Re: How Much Time...per Character

Postby Odee » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:16 pm

Interesting, ... I had guessed that the alts would receive less attention. Although, I don't know why I expected that. It's not what I actually do in other games.

Also, now that I think about it, it is not always obvious when I make a character if it is going to become my main.
It has been my experience in MMOS with Character Creators that let you save a given costume, that I can readily recall the costume for an alt, and spend less time just tweaking it here and there as I want. Then saving that one, and off to the next Alt.

Given that I rarely use more than 5 distinctive looks, and costume styles to build on, I suspect my CC time will initially be around 30 some hours total.

All told, after the DKCV has sufficient original costumes to tweak, it cuts my Costuming time down to about 30 minutes. Oh, Doughnut King Costume Vault. :) :lol:
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:37 pm

A very good point. I usually prefer playing tanks, but not for every game.

EQ2 main = Warden (healer), secondary is a Paladin (healing tank)
Warhammer Online main = Witchhunter (stalker)
Star Wars The Old Republic main = Sentinel (scrapper)
Star Trek Online main = Science (Healing Dominator)
Elder Scrolls Online main = Dragonborne (tank), secondary is a Templar (healing tank)
LOTRO main = Minstel (healer)
Tabula Rasa main = Guardian (tank)
DCUO main = Controller (Dominator)

etc...

I figure that my main will be a tank, just like in CoH, but you never know! I'll play everything in the beta to see what works best for me.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:22 pm

Interesting, it seems that the general consensus is that we we spend 1-3 hours per main character, and also about the same for each alt.

I had guessed that the alts would receive less attention. Although, I don't know why I expected that. It's not what I actually do in other games.

The poll was before the information that the character creator will be that complex! I mean THAT COMPLEX! :shock:
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:41 pm

If SoH's character creator is like DCUO or CoH? Probably 20 minutes or less.

If it is more like Champions Online? I am still tweaking characters I made this past spring :lol:

I just don't feel as if a character is ever done when a game has deep customization. One idea, or released costume set could be the piece your character needed.

This is just me, but I would guess it takes others hours/hour or less, from what i hear around the web.

Von

Postby Von » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:22 am

I really enjoy the character creating process. For games like this, I'll generally start with either the head piece or chest piece and have the rest of costume fit around that, keeping a power set in mind, while looking at each individual piece and changing my mind sometimes when I come across another piece that makes me want to change my design.

Then I play the game.

After seeing some of the power animations, I may not like how I designed the character and re-work him/her to fit the animations, scrapping the original costume design in the process. In addition to that, I may not love the power set all that much and design a new character with a completely different power set in mind. This means that, while any individual character takes only X amount of time, it may take several times that to settle on a "main".

In short, sometimes I enjoy making the characters just as much as (sometimes more than) playing the actual game.
You can run, but you'll just die tired.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:40 am

The time taken to set up a new character depends on how many costume slots it has. I have no doubt that some of us *cough* will feel a sort of 'unofficial' obligation to use all the slots :lol:
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:15 am

The time taken to set up a new character depends on how many costume slots it has. I have no doubt that some of us *cough* will feel a sort of 'unofficial' obligation to use all the slots :lol:
There are 11 slots in a costume. And yes, I would feel an obsession, er, obligation, to use them all as well.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Dome it

Postby Dome it » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:16 am

I think the question should rather be, how many characters and how much time to design a costume, rather than how much play time per character (that would be days for me) As for the costume, I would think that would be endless as tastes change, and the toon;s powers sometimes work differently than imagined so, the costume might evolve to fit the toon.

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:46 am

I think the question should rather be, how many characters and how much time to design a costume, rather than how much play time per character (that would be days for me) As for the costume, I would think that would be endless as tastes change, and the toon;s powers sometimes work differently than imagined so, the costume might evolve to fit the toon.
Absolutely. In CO all my early characters from 2009 look completely different in 2019. Oh wait a minute... oh my... it`s ten years. :shock: I`m old! :(
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:25 am

There are 11 slots in a costume. And yes, I would feel an obsession, er, obligation, to use them all as well.
I think lunawisp meant how many different costumes a character can have, rather than how many alterable bits there are on a costume :P
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Return to “Polling Discussion”