Can you be a Villain?

CErickson

Can you be a Villain?

Postby CErickson » Sun May 12, 2019 6:47 pm

Hello and sorry if this has been asked before, so if it has if you can redirect me to the question I'd greatly appreciate it.

But anyway what I need to know is this:
Can I play as a villain?

That's what drew me to CoH, well not initially but once CoV was released THAT'S what drew me to the game. I love playing as a villain and once CoH was ended I couldn't get that anywhere other than SWTOR when it released where you can do evil deeds and be as truly evil being in the game but even then their expansion had both sides joining instead of continuing the evil route.

No matter what game I played even if you were "evil" you were still good in it's own way, the antihero so to speak. What I am seeking is a TRUE villainous character, one driven by greed, selfishness, envy, power, etc. Someone who doesn't care what happens to the world as long as they enjoy themselves, or someone who wants to destroy or conquer it. I want a game where I can join the bad guys, or the good guys, or say eff all of you and do my own thing where I'm not good nor evil, but I am hunted by both.

I'm not thinking this game will have all of that, but if I CAN choose between the heroes or villains, that's something I am desperately seeking in a game.

Golden Ace

Re: Can you be a Villain?

Postby Golden Ace » Sun May 12, 2019 7:10 pm

no, not at first. we are going to have heroes only for at least the first year after launch. after that we will have villains. kind of like the way CoH did it.

right now we are not even seriously looking at how we are going to implement villains. there have been several suggestions. myself I'm partial to having a second ship full of villains. but that is a decision at least several years down the road.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Odee

Postby Odee » Mon May 13, 2019 12:45 pm

no, not at first. we are going to have heroes only for at least the first year after launch. after that we will have villains. kind of like the way CoH did it.

right now we are not even seriously looking at how we are going to implement villains. there have been several suggestions. myself I'm partial to having a second ship full of villains. but that is a decision at least several years down the road.
A second ship is intriguing, GA. Would it be one Like the Justice, that they captured. Or something more sinister looking like the Buster Crabbe Rockets of Flash Gordon?
Odee says,
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon May 13, 2019 2:27 pm

A second ship is intriguing, GA. Would it be one Like the Justice, that they captured. Or something more sinister looking like the Buster Crabbe Rockets of Flash Gordon?
There is no lore, at least not yet. but my thought would be that the villain ship, "Protector" (private joke), had a lot more problems than the justice, and things took a slightly darker turn when the original captain and crew all died during an invasion. Then the less heroic super-powered individuals took over the ship.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Tue May 14, 2019 1:01 pm

myself I'm partial to having a second ship full of villains. but that is a decision at least several years down the road.
A ship full of villains sounds awesome to me. I second your idea. 8-)
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

Gilbegger

Postby Gilbegger » Tue May 14, 2019 10:02 pm

Why not be on the same ship?..Maybe a few levels to separate the two sides...so we don't smell the roses coming from the good guys.

Are you guys too goody goody to have a few bad guys lurking around your "good ship lollypop"?!

Mutiny anyone?

:twisted:

Ajaxis

Postby Ajaxis » Fri May 24, 2019 2:46 pm

I like the name Truth for the hypothetical villian ship. The villians see "the truth." Power controls. Humanity is doomed. The people are sheep, and the wolves get ahead. The check is in the mail.

From a metagame standpoint, "Truth & Justice" go together, or from the 1950's Adventures of Super-Man TV show, "Truth, Justice, and the American way."

OnePunchMan

Postby OnePunchMan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:00 pm

This makes me incredibly sad as a player, one of the greatest drives for me personally as a player is that threat of challenge and danger. What is a hero without a villain. Many times I wondered what it would be like to have superhero’s in our world today, and the thought always ends in boredom unless of course there is an equal threat against those with power. I had dreamed for many years of making my own superhero game and spent countless days and nights thinking of vast scenarios. One thing that has always drawn me to this genre of game has been the feeling I get when I play as a hero. In all the hero games I have played I have never been the villain, however the villains in allot of the cases was always my drive and purpose for being a hero. Any hero can fight swarms or weak npcs and potentially even difficult raid bosses but at the end of the day I would never feel like my life as a hero matters. Every game has enemies. But the drive of being a hero is that strength that comes from fighting to keep the world you live in, to keep it from those who have equal potential, capabilities and intent to take that world away from you. Something about the players being in control of the good and the bad of your world has always been what’s driven to me. I’m not even talking about pvp. I’m talking about my entire gameplay as a hero, effects my world that I play in, just as the gameplay of a villain fights against it, even if the two do not come into direct contact with each other, knowing our world is effected by both a hero’s effort and a villains effort is more than enough. The thought that the main antagonist for this game at least anytime soon will be primarily computer controlled is a pretty massive upset for me.

Odee

Postby Odee » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:09 am

Actually, this idea of a Villain Ship, (Ship of Villains?), opens new possibilities for Raids, and PVP between the two factions. Then along comes the SON. A Ship of Nons, that are Neutral, or Vigilante like, and can go either Good or Bad, or maybe Both? :D
Odee says,
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

LsyaRaiya

Postby LsyaRaiya » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:40 pm

If possible, I'd like to see them on the same ship for the social aspect of it. Not necessarily PVE/PVP settings, but just the fact that the players can see each other doing what they do. There could be cities where it's PVE only, and cities where players can PVP if they want to. Or, let them co-exist in all cities and use PVP flags, so players can PVP wherever they wish without forcing PVE only players into the fray. Players would have a choice to opt-in for PVP or not based upon how they wish to play. However it's implemented, I'd like to see heroes and villains be able to interact.

It may take longer to design, but I'm willing to wait. I'd rather it be put together with some good thought process and planning than thrown together quickly and be so-so.
Lsya Raiya

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:15 am

If you think about COH, a hero is not fighting villains right away, so much as criminals. The hero vs villain thing is a higher level plot twist.

For us, the main issue is scope control. We're a small team with an incredibly tiny budget. Most of us are volunteers.

We need to get a fun game out there to play, and then expand it. Waiting to build some huge, perfect game with enormous scope and multiple ships, before launching, is not really an option for us. We're not EA.

But we will ge there eventually, with the support of the community.

Return to “General Discussion”