Secret real COH server has been active since 2012/2013

lunawisp

Re: Secret real COH server has been active since 2012/2013

Postby lunawisp » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:14 am

Against my better judgement, I logged on to one of the servers and made a few characters to play with. It was fun for a while but it just seems so dated now.

One thing that *does* work very well on CoH though is the snappiness of the controls. The characters respond almost instantly to any input, that gives a very nice feeling to the game. I don't know if it's possible to make Unreal Engine respond that rapidly to user input but I think it should be done if possible. Lots of modern games make you feel like you're attached to your character by rubber bands and it's not a nice feeling.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Itlandm

Postby Itlandm » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:41 am

Good for you. I haven't tested SoH, but I certainly enjoy CoH at least as much as I remember. I would be surprised if SoH will surpass it before 2025 at the earliest, but I am certainly planning to subscribe to SoH until then, if I and the game both live, and help with testing if my help is wanted. Ship of Heroes has much greater potential in the long run, the way I see it. But it has a lot of catching up to do, obviously. Eight years of updates sure add up.

ivanhedgehog

Postby ivanhedgehog » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:38 pm

I'm hearing a couple of different complaints about the COH AE system:

1. Other players are having fun their way, and not my way, and this is bad because they are not available to join my non-AE team or task force.

2. Other players are using AE as a powerleveling exploit, or perhaps only running one mission over and over again, so they lack the skills to play the game well, when they emerge from AE.

Really, complaint number 2 is a much stronger complaint, since it violates the reasonable expectations that any player should have of his colleagues in the game, at least at high levels.

Did I miss a major failing of the AE system?
the problem with number 2 is why can you reasonably have "expectations" of other players abilities. I knew a player that started in beta and played to close, that was a horrible team player. really bad. he entered AE the first couple of days it existed and never again. He didnt like it. His bad play style was just him being him, he was an awesome guy, he just didnt see things like you or me. We dont need people trying to get(and succeeding) AE nerfed just to try to get people to play with them. If people want to pl, they will do so, dont gut the game to try to enforce a social contract entirely of your own construction.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:37 am

There is an article on MMORPG.com about some of the new improvements to the game on the Homecoming servers here.

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/48 ... D7zUQDK.99

And as in just about any discussion about CoX private servers, it devolved into an argument about legality. This is what I posted on this matter.

----------------------
Copyright law is written to protect the owners of the copyright for as long as they care about their product. It does have a loophole, in that if the IP is not defended there is no law broken, and after 7 years (US; unsure about South Korea) the IP can be claimed by someone else. This 7 years starts from when the use of the IP by anyone other than the owner is known by the public. The time when the servers were working ‘underground’ does not count, since this was not known to the public. Basically the 7 years (US law; as I said I am unsure about Korean law) started this March. The actual IP, if it is not acted on by owner or ‘pirate’, is protected for a very long time, I believe it is 35 years.

If NCsoft chooses to defend their IP, then all of the private servers will instantly be on the wrong side of the law. But this does not happen until the IP owner acts.

I believe that NCsoft wrote off the value of the CoX game for tax purposes while the game was still turning a profit to maximize its value. In the US, a tax writeoff is spread over 14 years. I am unsure how Korean law works in this, but lets assume it is 7 years. Assuming the first write off year was 2013, the seventh year will be this year, 2019. So at the end of this year, the CoH game will be completely written off for tax purposes (again, I don’t know Korean law; this is an assumption). At this point in time, they may be wary of defending the IP because it may affect their writeoff (why are they defending a property that has in effect, no value?). But, once the value is written down, they would still be the owners of the IP and could defend their property without worrying about the writeoff.

They may very well have gotten an over-inflated value of the game in the order of $50,000,000 USD. That would be a SEVEN MILLION DOLLAR per year write off. That is a LOT of money, even to a large corporation like NCsoft. When you look at it that way, it is easy to see why they did not sell to Paragon Studios or the Titan Network. They got a lot more value from the writeoff. My bet is that once NCsoft files their taxes next year, we will find out what is really going on.

So I bet that the first or second week of January, the IP will be sold to another game company or the C&D letters will start flying.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:40 am

I don't know anything about NC Soft, but GladDog's thought process seems plausible to me. But if we assume that he is right and the C & D letters will fly beginning in January of 2020, then NC Soft ought to be letting people know their plan now, to minimize the negative marketing impact of what is scheduled to come.

It's their silence that surprises me. If they are going to give up their COH IP claims, they should be shouting this from the rooftops to try to get some reputational bonus points from the American market. If they are going to act to protect their IP (which they own), they should be saying so, and discouraging people from getting onto the wrong side of the issue.

Either way, they should probably be saying something about their intent to protect their IP for other games, which they are not giving away.

Silence seems odd.

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:39 am

Things *are* moving with NCSoft apparently.

Check here:
https://forums.homecomingservers.com/to ... ming-team/

Ill quote it here:
Hey folks,

We know things have been really quiet from us lately, and we wanted to provide an update on what we've been up to.

Homecoming and The Titan Network are working together and are in active negotiations with NCSoft in order to turn Homecoming into a legitimate operation, and we've been making significant strides in recent weeks. It's our intention to involve the entire community in this process when the time comes - which is not quite yet, but we'll certainly be shouting from the rooftops when it is - hopefully Soon™.

Please hang tight for the time being, and keep killing those Skuls.

EDIT: To be clear, Homecoming will remain completely free to play.

- The Homecoming Team

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:01 am

Not trying to belittle their efforts, but didn't they say the same thing back in April? And one yahoo on Reddit speaking as a joke got them to close their entire operation, costing them a fair amount of money.

I will believe it when NCsoft says something to corroborate it.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:46 am

Unfortunately, two parties saying they are working something out is not as impactful as three parties (including NC Soft) saying the same. In my view, we still do not know what is really going on, or what is going to happen in the future with the COH IP.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:48 am

There are three additional factors to consider.

1 - Because NCsoft did not protect their trademarks in the US and other countries, they may have lost the right to defend their IP except in Korea. This is a real legal conundrum. I have not seen anything in writing on any sites about this, just forum posts. Therefore, it is not fact, it is an assumption. And, we all know what happens when you ASS-U-ME anything...

2 - The server code was not purchased or given. It was stolen. However it was attained, the server code was acquired through less than legal means. Once again, though, with the squirrely laws regarding intellectual properties, there is no crime if NCsoft does not press legal action. So we will see what happens.

3 - NCsoft's quick action regarding the Tabula Rasa private servers tells me (TR was making a lot less money than CoH was) that NCsoft is likely aware of the CoH private servers. The big question is what are they going to do about it? Until they act, there is no real scenario that can be pursued other than to assume (remember that word) that things are currently legal - or more accurately, not illegal yet - for players.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:17 pm

Until I hear something from ncsoft I’m considering it all hogwash
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.