February Activities

Consultant

February Activities

Postby Consultant » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:24 am

It seems like we gave a summary at the end of January of what we have going on. I thought I would add some details to it since today is Monday (in my time zone anyway), and Monday mornings are a good time to review the plan for the week.

1. We're hoping to begin recording the superspeed video today or tomorrow. This video has some other stuff in it too, so it is not simple to record. Still we have a decent shot at publishing a video before next weekend.

2. We're reviewing some additional animations for the spear powerset. The rate at which powers and powersets are developed is mostly determined by the production and polishing rates for their animations. So we are not on the verge of showing this one off, but all of this work has to go on for months before we can show it. We like where we are with this one. Many western MMOs neglect a spear power, so this is another fun feature of SoH.

3. We are continuing to work on the level-up process. You might think this is easy -- just a flash of light and some text on the screen saying you have leveled up...but it is actually a fundamental system. Level up changes hit points and other ststs instantly, heals and recovers a player instantly even if they are in combat. And it makes changes to their other stats, allowing them to go to a trainer and get either a new power or some augmentation slots. Augmentation slots are particularly tricky. Coding all of this is really complex. We are not done with this, but again, we like our current situation. We definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel.

4. We offerred a postion to an experienced artist to add to our team, and we hope he takes the spot. We'll keep the community informed on this, but probably we'll wait until we can show some of his work in a newsletter.

Anyway, that's most of my Monday morning. I hope that is not too dull, as a report.

Golden Ace

Re: February Activities

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:09 am

3. We are continuing to work on the level-up process. You might think this is easy -- just a flash of light and some text on the screen saying you have leveled up...but it is actually a fundamental system. Level up changes hit points and other ststs instantly, heals and recovers a player instantly even if they are in combat. And it makes changes to their other stats, allowing them to go to a trainer and get either a new power or some augmentation slots. Augmentation slots are particularly tricky. Coding all of this is really complex. We are not done with this, but again, we like our current situation. We definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Don’t forget the sound. Whatever you come up with has to be iconic. I.e. memorable. Even if I’m not looking directly at someone who is leveling I want to be able to hear it and it should be something awesome sounding.

The overall effect of the level up animation should make people think “Oh wow that’s COOL!”

Oh and Don’t forget a resurrection. And perhaps a 3-5 second immunity to damage and status effects upon leveling up. Also removal of all status effects on you.

If you’re on a team and you die but you’re close to leveling and your teammates earn you enough XP to level you should be able to resurrect During the fancy sound and flash of the leveling animation.

All told an awesome post. Looking forward to seeing the spear power set and the superspeed animations.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

POSSUMNUTS

Postby POSSUMNUTS » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:30 am

Very exciting news. Can’t wait to see a video Of green pants man exploding as he gains another level!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:02 pm

Good comments -- we do not have the sounds added at all. Much of the rest that GA mentioned has been worked out. But we do have a professional sound FX guy going through our placeholder sounds and improving things, so we will get sounds into the mix for level up.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:11 pm

👍🏻 :D
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:32 pm

If I'm going to level up...

IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:23 pm

If I'm going to level up...

Indeed.

Strange story:
I was out eating with my father yesterday and the TV in the restaurant was tuned to some downhill skiing. Well, it appeared that somewhere near a microphone an attendee was ringing a cowbell as their method of cheering-on the skiers as they got near the bottom of the course.

The effects of the cowbell sketch continue to live on. :D
Truth > Propaganda

Odee

Postby Odee » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:42 pm

Cowbell, Shmowbell... I just want to make cool costumes, and horsey things.... with sprinkles. :lol: :lol:
Odee says,
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Arterius

Postby Arterius » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:31 pm

Can. Not. Wait

Odee

Postby Odee » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:38 am

It seems like we gave a summary at the end of January of what we have going on. I thought I would add some details to it since today is Monday (in my time zone anyway), and Monday mornings are a good time to review the plan for the week...

3. We are continuing to work on the level-up process. You might think this is easy -- just a flash of light and some text on the screen saying you have leveled up ...but it is actually a fundamental system. Level up changes hit points and other stats instantly, heals and recovers a player instantly even if they are in combat. And it makes changes to their other stats, allowing them to go to a trainer and get either a new power or some augmentation slots. Augmentation slots are particularly tricky. Coding all of this is really complex. We are not done with this, but again, we like our current situation. We definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel...

Anyway, that's most of my Monday morning. I hope that is not too dull, as a report.
Regarding the underlined above; Please say we do not automatically get a new power dropped on us, and that wel have to visit the trainer. I am still iffy with the BING! you reached a new level insta healing and more hit points. But that seems the norm, for the past few years. However, I will be deeply disappointed if a new power pops onto my powers tray, without having to visit my mentor/trainer/sponsor...
Odee says,

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:30 am

It did say "And it makes changes to their other stats, allowing them to go to a trainer and get either a new power or some augmentation slots."
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
Super Heroes in Space, a blog about heroes, space and huge ships!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:40 am

Yes, you need to go to the trainier and select your new power (or on alternate level-ups, where to place additional augment slots).

There's a process for this, and we're coding it now. I guess to be completely fair we've been coding it for quite a while. But it is advanced now. This is a fundamental part of the Ship of Heroes. I'm reminded of the old saw that the hip bone is connected to the leg bone...everything connects on this process. Inventory, powers, stats, vendors, etc. It all has to work perfectly. And of course, there is special UI to enable choices.

We have a bunch of new people reading on these forums, so for them let me remind that our process is that a player gets to choose some of the powers from a powerset, but not all of them. And he/she gets to decide which powers get extra augment slots, thereby making some powers more effective (with damage, accuracy, reduced energy drain, etc.).

If you think of SWTOR as an example, a level 30 Sorceror has exactly the same powers as every other level 30 Sorceror. You do have to visit a trainer to activate them, but they drop in the order that the devs decided, and they cannot be meaningfully customized, except with gear. That's not our system. In SoH every fiery blast devastator can be menaningfully different. Obviously with appearance, but also with powers. You design your character for your play style, or for one of your playstyles.

It's all about you, not about us.

Odee

Postby Odee » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:14 pm

It did say "And it makes changes to their other stats, allowing them to go to a trainer and get either a new power or some augmentation slots."
it also said We're looking at... before that. TYVM
...our process is that a player gets to choose some of the powers from a powerset, but not all of them. And he/she gets to decide which powers get extra augment slots, thereby making some powers more effective (with damage, accuracy, reduced energy drain, etc.).

If you think of SWTOR as an example, a level 30 Sorceror has exactly the same powers as every other level 30 Sorceror. You do have to visit a trainer to activate them, but they drop in the order that the devs decided, and they cannot be meaningfully customized, except with gear. That's not our system. In SoH every fiery blast devastator can be meaningfully different. Obviously with appearance, but also with powers. You design your character for your play style, or for one of your playstyles.

It's all about you, not about us.
This is true customization at all stages of a player characters life in a game. 🤗👍🤘x💯
Odee says,

sensible

Postby sensible » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:04 pm

Return to “General Discussion”