MISSIONS & RAIDS

Odee

MISSIONS & RAIDS

Postby Odee » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:53 pm

Is there any new news about how these will be given, and/or handled? What can we players expect, in character advancement, as we travel with SoH the next 2, 3, or even 10 years down the road? 👍🤜🤛👍

Yes, yes my life expectations for SoH might seem grandiose, but we already have mmos that have passed, or are very close to the 10 year mark. So why not believe that SoH can do the same?
Odee says,
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

GladDog

Re: MISSIONS & RAIDS

Postby GladDog » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:38 pm

I agree! I could see SoH being the last subscription game I play in my life, and I expect to live at least another 30 years!

There are going to be several sources for missions. Everyone gets a JOB, such as working for the Justice Corps or working for the Healing group, or the Engineers. Each of these will give a long mission arc to set you up with your job. Having a job specializes what you are good at doing other than combat, such as crafting. If you are planning to craft a lot, like me, you may want to get more than one job. Also, there will be a core mission chain, just like most games have. There will be mission arcs you get from civilians, and there will be missions assigned by the ship's command group. Beyond this there will be Task Forces and missions from the Random Mission Generator, like the radio and newspaper missions from CoX. There will be lots to do!

However, most of these missions are going to be unavailable until game release, so they will be fresh and fun. Beta testing will be mostly random missions and street sweeping.

I expect that the beta will include;

The Tutorial mission arc, although this will likely change as the beta matures.
The first arc from your job, just as an intro. This may not be in place when the beta initially starts, but should be in the game as the beta matures.
Random missions from the RMG.
Street sweeping.
Invasion events.

As the beta develops, eventually we should be able to get into the Hazard Zone area to fight.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Odee

Postby Odee » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:14 am

I agree! I could see SoH being the last subscription game I play in my life, and I expect to live at least another 30 years!

There are going to be several sources for missions. Everyone gets a JOB, such as working for the Justice Corps or working for the Healing group, or the Engineers... ...There will be lots to do!

However, most of these missions are going to be unavailable until game release, so they will be fresh and fun. Beta testing will be mostly random missions and street sweeping.

I expect that the beta will include;

The Tutorial mission arc, although this will likely change as the beta matures.
The first arc from your job, just as an intro. This may not be in place when the beta initially starts, but should be in the game as the beta matures.
Random missions from the RMG.
Street sweeping.
Invasion events.

As the beta develops, eventually we should be able to get into the Hazard Zone area to fight.
Yeah, same here about the last subscription game to play in my life.

Engineer job sounds great for crafting... Hand me that spanner, mate! I need to upgrade my nano spear.

You have me drooling in anticipation of testing. ;) :) :)
Odee says,

Odee

Postby Odee » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:03 pm

Okay... now, for the hardball. Will we have interactive terrain features in missions? Things like being able to pick up benches, barrels, cars, to be used as thrown weapons and things like that?
Odee says,

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:29 am

We have always answered this question of interactive terrain with a clear negative. Having a character pick up something and hold it in their hands (or throw it) in a video game is one of the most difficult technical challenges there is. Multiple dev teams from other games have promised and failed with this feature and we do not want to be on that list.

Recently our lead coder told me he could see a way to do this, but only in special circumstances. So we added to our code to allow us to develop this in the future, but it is not in our launch scope. So please don't imagine we can do it this year or even next, for sure.

What we're looking at would be something similar to the bank robbery missions in COH, where a special version of the level is filled with destructible objects like cars, mailboxes etc., except updated for the future. That sort of thing should be possible down the road, and since we figured out how to do it in SoH (we think we did anyway), we're coding to retain that option for the future.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:18 am

That was an interesting mission. I liked all the stuff you could destroy
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Odee

Postby Odee » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:08 am

...Recently our lead coder told me he could see a way to do this, but only in special circumstances. So we added to our code to allow us to develop this in the future, but it is not in our launch scope. So please don't imagine we can do it this year or even next, for sure.

What we're looking at would be something similar to the bank robbery missions in COH, where a special version of the level is filled with destructible objects like cars, mailboxes etc., except updated for the future. That sort of thing should be possible down the road, and since we figured out how to do it in SoH (we think we did anyway), we're coding to retain that option for the future.
Hot dang on the destructibles! Which was going to be my next question, you mind reader. Blowing up cover, or even protecting certain items from being destroyed, like in some XCOM missions, sounds like the makings for great missions. :D Thanks too, for your continued openness and honesty with us all. I am sure the lot of us can wait for the many improvements, and updates throughout SoH's life.
Odee says,

Return to “Ask the Devs”