The Positive Gamer Asks -

Blaze Rocker

The Positive Gamer Asks -

Postby Blaze Rocker » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:03 am

Recently found this video by The Positive Gamer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVRisutJQLI

Pretty sure I know how the majority feels to the question of "if CoH were re-released today" but it's still a good video. Such a shame NCsoft doesn't see things like the rest of us.
How many people telling the same lie does it take for that lie to become true?

Odee

Re: The Positive Gamer Asks -

Postby Odee » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:20 am

Recently found this video by The Positive Gamer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVRisutJQLI

Pretty sure I know how the majority feels to the question of "if CoH were re-released today" but it's still a good video. Such a shame NCsoft doesn't see things like the rest of us.
Yup... And now I hear that with their Star Trek franchise failing, as well as that flop they replaced CoH with, NCSoft is having some money problems. That's what happens when you get schmucks with more money than brains, running things.
Odee says,
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:32 am

Star Trek Online and Champions Online are both Cryptic Studios projects that they made after disconnecting from NCsoft.

That said, NCsoft's decision to focus on the Korean market and only soft-changing Korean projects to the west is biting them in the butt. They make games for a market that is 1/5th the size of the US market that are heavily focused on PvP endgame and esports, and then scratch their heads trying to figure out why there aren't more loyal players in the west... Their financial difficulties in the west are their own doing. Their only real attempt to make a western focused MMORPG, Wildstar, failed because they were not paying attention to the western market, and by the time they were, it was too late. Also, they pissed off a large portion of their potential audience when they closed the game most closely related to Wildstar, which of course, was City of Heroes.

---------------------------------

Star Trek Online isn't a bad game, but definitely not a great game. I'm playing it right now to kill time until the Supporters beta for SoH starts. The potential for a great game exists, but they really need to get more invested on expanding storylines. Star Trek was always about the story, and the writers at STO just recycle what they have, rather than making new stuff. Case in point; The storyline for the Discovery expansion is almost exactly like the storyline from the 23rd Century (TOS universe) expansion.. That said, STO is a rare game under the Perfect World Entertainment umbrella that is not pay to win. If you are willing to spend $100 and invest the time needed, you can be a competitive top tier player. You can spend more, and many do because of the intelligent way they construction their store and store inventory. But you don't need to.

Champions Online isn't bad. It's not good either. But, it does have a lot of good things, like an excellent character creator if you are subscribing or have bought enough costume packs. What it also has is a HEAVY pay to win environment. There are people that have spent thousands of dollars on that game. But, not so much any more. The game is definitely in a downward spiral. The storylines run out too fast, and there is not a huge amount of stuff to do at endgame other than PvP. PvP, however, is definitely hit with the P2W bug. You can spend yourself right into the top 10% with PvP. So with P2W PvP being almost the only thing to do after you make a half dozen characters, a lot of people quit. Some come back, but most don't. A-1 Fighter likes the game, and truthfully I played it on and off for a year. But the server is empty, and the only way to advance to a certain performance level is to pay for it.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:15 pm

It will be a good game, albeit subjective. Will it be profitable enough to a company to keep open? I don't know.

The thing with CoX, people seen that is was profitable, but how profitable? Will NCSoft shutdown a MMO that is making them a boatload of money? Absolutely not. What company would? Obviously, CoX was not profitable eough. NCSoft does not have a vendetta against CoX, it was all about money. If CoX was highly profitable, it would still be live today.

Keep this one thing in mind in regard to any commerce, the goal is to make money, period. No company would cease production of something that made a killing. No mmo would shutdown a title if it were making a killing.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:23 pm

To answer Blaze Rocker's original post;

If they put the CoH servers back up in total maintenance mode set at issue 23, I would be playing it a lot, at least until SoH released. As long as they made enough money to support a skeleton support crew, I would be fine with it.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”