Composition Propositions for Ship of Heroes Music.

Consultant

Re: Composition Propositions for Ship of Heroes Music.

Postby Consultant » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:19 am

Bump.

Odee

Postby Odee » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:52 am

Bump.
Parrump, Bump! ;)

I have themes in mind, but am totally a musical composition flop.

Would posting examples to draw from and alter be okay? There are several examples from Thomas Bergersen of Two Steps From Hell, and a couple other games that would fit SoH, with some alterations to avoid any rights infringements. I suppose they'd be more like inspirations for those who can write music? Thomas Bergersen is on Facebook: http://fbl.me/TJB and approachable for original music. Not sure what his pricing is, but it's worth a shot to contact at least.

Examples: Fast paced stirring music at 43 second mark for an epic battle. https://youtu.be/d2hRTLdvdnk
This piece could be slowed, with strings replacing the drums, and organ the voices, and drop the horns. I'd titles it A Battle Hard Fought.

And this one, where you could drop the Horns, or the Strings, and it would still sound epic. https://youtu.be/KjHSEzoMrSI
Odee says,
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Actjcksn

Postby Actjcksn » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:28 pm

My 2 cents is the CCT music should be epic/uplifting and not dark/depressing or too insistent in the beginning. I would prefer it start light and build to majestic heights, then maybe have a more insistent/battle portion in the middle before a light aftermath which connects back to the beginning and loops.
Some examples:

Defiance theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbpBDjW9KV0

The OA theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43zzw6keaoE

Hans Zimmer - Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuAGGZNfUkU

I hope the examples convey what I'm talking about. I'm sure Solarverse or one of the composers on the forums can come up with something great. :)
(aka GregoryKC66)
3) Expect the Plan to go off the rails...
4) ...Throw away the Plan

MsrRick

Postby MsrRick » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:47 pm

Not really an area of expertise for me but as some people have stated character creation can sometimes take a while, especially with the amount of customization you're giving us it should have a decent length before it repeats. Another option would be to start with a good paced theme to get you started and lighten up a bit say after 5 to 10 minutes. Or after a while maybe bring in music from the rest of the game. The key to me is not to listen to a loop 10 to 15 times in a half hour.

Solarverse

Postby Solarverse » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:50 am

I'm taking notes.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:27 am

sorry I just don't know music. That being said I do like the login one you suggested,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m94PsEa ... e=youtu.be

I just don't like the first 14 seconds. something about that electronic sound just grates on me. the rest of it is awesome.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

HeroGamer

Postby HeroGamer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:52 pm

Do they have the main theme for Ship of Heroes yet?

If not, I'm thinking of music like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rzaSPs__-A

:geek:

Odee

Postby Odee » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Do they have the main theme for Ship of Heroes yet?

If not, I'm thinking of music like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rzaSPs__-A

:geek:
Rise is pretty cool theme. You can almost see the HS Freedom clearing an asteroid field, entering a planetary system for orbit... And the heroes uniting in defense.
Odee says,

Solarverse

Postby Solarverse » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:27 pm

First, this is my personal opinion. My opinion does not trump any other opinion, it is simply one opinion among many. :)

A lot of my Heroic inspiration comes from Hans Zimmer. His music has darker tones, while at the same time sounding very majestic and heroic. I gain inspiration from Hans Zimmer (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman themes, all dark, but heroic at the same time), Basil Poledouris (Conan the Barbarian 1982) and John Williams (Superman, Star Wars), along with James Horner (Star Trek III, original cast).

When I think of Superheroes, I think of music that is uplifting, powerful, a tad bit dark, but not so dark that you think of death or demonics or Sith Empires, lol. When I listen to music, I want to be inspired to create a super powerful superhero. I want the music to inspire my creation ideas as I am scrolling through the options to create my character. If the music is slow or drawn out...I would probably turn off the music and create with my own selection. I want to write music that people won't turn off.

Some of the music I am hearing people suggest, in my personal opinion, seems very sluggish for a heroic game. The notes are long and long winded, the drums mislead you in to thinking the music is about to pick up, but nothing happens, the notes continue as they were. The music is good, as a fellow musician, I cannot take away from good music, but to me, it simply does not fit a heroic game with heroes who wear capes and fire energy out of their fists while defending a city upon a ship in which is deep in space.

I wrote the music with these things in mind. However, I am not limited to the types of music I can write. I started as a lead guitar player for a Heavy Metal band. Very heavy stuff. Now, I write symphony orchestra music with a background in classical. So that is one extreme to the next, if that gives you any idea of the diversity I have in music. I consider myself very lucky in that I was gifted with music running in my veins...it runs deep in my bloodline. I come from a long line of musicians, one of which who plays for a very famous alternative rock band.

I have a passion for music, and whatever type of music the Developers chose that they would like for their game, I am sure that I could rise to the challenge. If they decide to chose somebody else, then I am proud to have at least had an opportunity to introduce my ideas and be a part of this game and the community.

In my opinion, music can completely set the game's mood and put the game in motion. It's like a movie, if the movie you are watching has cheesy and boring music, it will be very hard to take the movie serious, and chances are, most people will lose interest in the movie. So when writing music for any company that I write for, I do my best to hook the listener. Music sets the tone, sets the mood, hooks people's ears, sets things in motion. The music should fit the scene. The game/movie does the rest.

With that being said, I am taking every opinion in to consideration. Just as I hope any musician/composer would, when writing musical pieces. Keep the opinions coming. I'm listening.

Odee

Postby Odee » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:30 am

First, this is my personal opinion. My opinion does not trump any other opinion, it is simply one opinion among many. :)

...In my opinion, music can completely set the game's mood and put the game in motion. It's like a movie, if the movie you are watching has cheesy and boring music, it will be very hard to take the movie serious, and chances are, most people will lose interest in the movie. So when writing music for any company that I write for, I do my best to hook the listener. Music sets the tone, sets the mood, hooks people's ears, sets things in motion. The music should fit the scene. The game/movie does the rest.

With that being said, I am taking every opinion in to consideration. Just as I hope any musician/composer would, when writing musical pieces. Keep the opinions coming. I'm listening.
What's in bold above, I have been saying about movies for decades. Look at the original Magnificent 7, for example. The movie itself was really sluggish, if not for the rousing scoring in it. Star Wars: Episode 4 would have bombed miserably on acting, were it not for the F/X, and music. Aliens, can anyone think how dull it would have been without Ripley's Rescue and other scoring? An example of an outstanding game score, for me, would be the one in Assassin's Creed: King Washington. There are so many scores in that, which enhanced my gameplay experience, and even in other games, I use the OSD from it, other movies, and scores from Thomas Bergersen, and the Two Steps From Hell series of scores.

Yes, music plays an enormous part in making, or breaking a game, or movie.
Odee says,

Actjcksn

Postby Actjcksn » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:53 pm

I really appreciate and enjoy everyone's input, and I'm impressed and like Solarverse's background and opinions.

Thinking about it more, maybe there could be a theme for each archetype and one for Space, each about 5 minutes long, which loop for the CCT. The Tanker and Devastator compositions could be more upbeat, the Tanker steady and strong, the Defender healing and protective, and Space more drawn out slightly dark. All majestic, uplifting and powerful.

Just some ideas. I know that is a lot to ask for, but that may hit all the areas.
(aka GregoryKC66)
3) Expect the Plan to go off the rails...
4) ...Throw away the Plan

KeyboardNotPresent

Postby KeyboardNotPresent » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:00 pm

I'm going to pull from the way back machine and suggest music like what was done for Football Pro 98.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

The music is a bit dated but it has the style I think should be in a super hero game--upbeat swelling music. My preference in order is Theme 5,1,2, and 3. Theme 4 doesn't really fit but that style might be okay for a zone change.

[Edit]

I found this guy's original music and it think it is perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Kqo2zKEnM

Odee

Postby Odee » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:28 am

I really appreciate and enjoy everyone's input, and I'm impressed and like Solarverse's background and opinions.

Thinking about it more, maybe there could be a theme for each archetype and one for Space, each about 5 minutes long, which loop for the CCT. The Tanker and Devastator compositions could be more upbeat, the Tanker steady and strong, the Defender healing and protective, and Space more drawn out slightly dark. All majestic, uplifting and powerful.

Just some ideas. I know that is a lot to ask for, but that may hit all the areas.
Now you're cooking with propane mate! 👍🤗💖
Odee says,

Return to “General Discussion”