short story based on Your Fantasy Book Title

Re: short story based on Your Fantasy Book Title

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:42 am

The House of Shadow, Wind and Smoke Part 6

Tyreen woke up this morning believing he must be at least 500 years old. At least that was what his burning muscles and hurting bones made him think. But he knew, that the Masters wouldn´t accept any aching muscles as an excuse for coming late and so he took a deep breath and got up. But something was missing! He couldn´t put a finger on it but he simply knew something was different then the days before. How was it, that his days do begin regularly? First, Gareans smile shocks him out of sleep when he opens his eyes in the morning then he gets up, going to the bathroom. Wait! That´s it! Slowly Tyreen got up and sneaked to the other side of the room „Good Morning Garean!“

His eyes met the gaze of his roommate who had a suffering look as if he would die any moment, his voice echoing every aspect of pain „Morning Tyreen! I think I am injured! Everything is hurting when I just move my finger! I think I need a Doctor.“ He looked at him, pushing away that feeling of malicious joy and grabbed his arm, checking and feeling is bones and muscles. No, definitely just the same as himself! For a Moment he thought about what he should do. Then his hand moved behind Gareans back and with a sudden move he pulled him up ignoring Gareans shriek who asked him to stop „You just have aching muscles, nothing more! Congratulations – here you have at least the proof, that you got them! Now get out of the bed, if you do not want to go into class without breakfast and remember: The best you can do when having hurting muscles is to use them!“

During breakfast Tyreens thoughts where wandering through the last few days. They mainly consisted of different types of physical training which was only interrupt by short periods of time in which they received explanations, about what they where supposed to learn at which Master in the following years. At the beginning he was surprised about the intensity and variety of it and wondered what that was supposed to be good for. A question which disappeared two days ago. Not because he got an answer but simply because he just got no energy left to waste on unimportant thinking procedures. Spontanously his eyes wondered to Sareja. That girl was simply unreal. She never wasted a word, look or any movement at all on anything. She just spoke when she was being asked, she just looked at somebody when being in the center of attention and just moved when there was a reason for it. But then – Wow, how she moved was impressive! It seemed that she didn´t tire or feel any pain in her body at all. But that couldn´t be. Sure, he himself didn´t show anything of that neither but he certainly felt it nevertheless. Obviously Sareja was even more headstrong than him in that matter. Now she looked up, raising one of her eyebrows. One of her favorite reactions as it seemed. But Tyreen suddenly realized, that he had been staring at her and so he forced his eyes back on his plate.

Tyreen was on his way to the training room when Garean grabbed his arm, making him realize that he just had been drowning in nothingness „Tyreen, thank you for helping me! You know, I did not expect you to do that and therefore I am really grateful for it. I have to admit, I did not expect the training to be so physical and exhausting. How do you do it?“ Tyreen slowed down a bit „Well, you know I grew up under more or less poor conditions, so I had to work whereever I could when I wanted to have something. And the only work a kid can get, without knowing anything or anyone is simple physical work. So I carried around stuff, polished and things like that. And that gives you some strength and endurance over a time I guess. It was no fun but now it helps me through the day so far. That, and the fact that I am pretty sure, that this kind of training won´t last fort hat long!“ The blonde boy looked somewhere between hopeful and fearful „How can you be sure oft that! When they really want to forge us that way, how would you know, it will not go through the whole education?“ Now it was on him to smile „Simple! Just look at the other apprentices here! When should they be able to train as long as we do, without us noticing, when we are always in there? Oh and I also start to think, there is also a mental component included. I believe, they want to find out, how much we can take before we would give in!“ That last thought just occured to him that moment. But while he spoke it out loud, it dawned to him that this might indeed be the major lesson here. A lesson, which separated the blue-eyed dreamers from those being really useful for the Missions which where given to the House of Shadow, Wind and Smoke!

to be continued next week :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:02 am

The House of Shadow, Wind and Smoke Part 7

It was another morning through the wood just outside the city when it finally happened. Tyreen saw it coming but it was still kind of a shock when he saw Garean actually collapsing. He stopped in his track looking down on his roommate. Then his eyes moved towards Sareja who just went on, keeping on her moderate speed, which seemed to be her ideal method of preserving her energy reserves, while fulfilling the expectations the Master had for them. It was typical for her. No matter what they had done the last three months it was always the same. She checked the expectations, started way below them and turned up the volume until she reached a certain level and kept it on, no matter what happened. Normally he admired that ability of hers but not this time „Hey Sareja – stop there!“
She went on and he had to fight against that surge of anger flowing through him „I said stop right now! Or I will make you!“ She stopped, turned around and came back to him, meeting his gaze with her ice blue eyes „You will make me?“ Tyreen ignored it, there was no point in wasting energy on any kind of fight now. She came back, that was all that mattered! „Help me, getting him back up. We can´t leave him here.“ Sareja looked at him „Why not?“ Tyreen turned around, ready to let go of his anger but she had already sat down, next to Garean, starting to check on his vital signs so he kept his thoughts to himself „What do you think?“

Sareja stayed silent for a moment while controlling if Garean has hurt himself when he fell. „He is unconcious but seems be unhurt. Propably due to dehydration regarding the dampness of his clothes and his sweating. You realize, that we will fail our test if we help him?“ Tyreen shrugged his shoulders „I don´t care! We cannot leave him here! Even if we send somebody immidiately after arriving it will take more than an hour in which he is alone here without anybody watching over him. He is completely helpless, no matter what might happen. He is our comrade and I don´t want to pass, when it means that we leave him behind!“ His eyes met with Sarejas, who listened to him without any sign of emotion and so he prepared himself for another cold reply just to be surprised when she nodded „Good, if you think you can carry him, I will take his equipment. If not, we would have to leave our equipment behind and risk, that it is gone when we can come back.“ He smiled „Don´t worry I will manage!“

When they finally arrived back at the city gate where Master Sindral was waiting with Master Tovair Tyreen was at the end of his strength. Gathering all his willpower he did the last few steps towards the two Masters where he let Garean slide down of his shoulders before his legs gave in. The last thing he saw, before he lost conciousness was a set of ice blue eyes above him.

Tyreen woke up two days later again, still feeling a little bit exhausted but otherwise surprisingly fine. He opened his eyes noticing Mistress Kajala, the Houses Healer, holding his wrist „Oh good, so you are finally awake! How are you feeling?“ He took a deep breath trying to gather his thoughts about what had happened. Then the memory came back „Mistress, how is Garean? Is he Ok? And what about Sareja?“ The older woman smiled „Everybody is fine. They both woke up this morning too and I let them out just recently. So how are you feeling?“ He thought about it for a moment when he heard his stomache rumble „Well, I guess I am kind of hungry. Otherwise, I feel fine.“ Kajala nodded „Well, that was to be expected. Good than drink that for beginning and try to stand up. If you feel dizzy, I want to know it! If not, you can go. Get something to eat and than to the class room. Master Sindral is waiting for you.“

An hour later he entered the class room where Garean and Sareja where already waiting together with Master Sindral. The Master turned around to him „Welcome Tyreen. Sit down“ He sat and waited for the Master to go on „Good, that you are back on your feet. Now tell me about the training session in the woods, Tyreen. And tell me, how your impressions are. What should I do in reference to that?“ Tyreen looked down on the floor. It was obvious for him, that they all must have failed „Well Master, we where told to make our way through that wood in a certain time. I was not strong enough to pass your test and I apologize for failing you. I think the logical answer must be, that we would have to work more on ourselves, to improve our strength and endurance, so that we pass next time!“ The Master shaked his head slightly „There will be no other test for you!“ Tyreen looked up in disbelief. Did he hear right? Did that mean, that they where not fit, for the house and failed to be part of it? „Master, I ask you to reconsider! Sareja was on a perfect pace and her progress is flawless. She would have passed, withoug the shadow of a doubt, if I would not have stopped her. If someone is responsible for her failing, it would be me. So I beg you, to let her pass at least!“ Master Sindral shaked his head and Tyreens eyes met with Sarejas. He wanted to apologize to her but strangely she did not seemed to be upset at all. Than Sindral spoke again „I do not need to reconsider because you all have passed! Of course, Garean has to work harder on himself, but I am positive that he will improve, since the time he was able to go on was quite all right already. But you two have my most sincere and highest regard! Not just, that you did not let a comrade in need down, but you even managed to come back with all the equipment and him on your own two feet. It would have been alright already if one of you would have waited with him and the other one would have gotten help. But what you did was a really impressive show of willpower! And on top of that, you did not try to find excuse, though it would have been alright to do so, but you accepted that you did not fulfill your task and were willing to accept the consequences. I am proud of you as an apprentice! So for the record: This test was not about endurance and time, it was about team-building and responsibility for each other. So you all passed, with you Tyreen getting the perfect score here, while Sareja and Garean share the second place in that excercise. Therefore you will be the leader of your group for the next step of your training“ Tyreen looked up in shock. He the lead apprentice of their group? „But Master. My grades are not the best! I am neither as good as Garean in theories nor as good as Sareja in the practical things. Should it not be one of them?“ Sindral sighed „Tyreen! Sareja told me, that she was going on and only helped because you convinced her to do so. She realized, that she would have failed if not for you! So she already agreed, that you are the more fitting one fort hat position. And Garean also voted for you. His practical side needs a lot of work and he admitted, that he only got as far, as he did, because you motivated him. So you do not need to be the best to lead a group. You need to be accepted and respected. You can motivate them to be better than they are and they can elevate your group above what you could do – so that is what it is all about! Congratulation!“

Tyreen sat still for another hour trying to grasp what had happened here in that room. They really got promoted to the next class level after such a short period of time. He recalled Sindral pointing out, that they actually where one of the first ones, who actually passed that test on first try. He still was stunned but he also was proud. He finally and really have arrived here in the House of Shadow, Wind and Smoke!

For those interested - sorry for the wait. Had a lot on my mind with my wife in the hospital. Will post more reliable in the future again :)
Last edited by Avatar PDM on Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Odee

Postby Odee » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:07 pm

It would be a sad thing indeed, If this is not used as an Epic Story line in game! Better still, published as a serial in a Sci-Fi magazine.
Odee says,
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:28 am

It would be a sad thing indeed, If this is not used as an Epic Story line in game! Better still, published as a serial in a Sci-Fi magazine.
if that one was meant for me than I say thank you very much for that huge compliment :)

Actually that is my first try writing a little bit in english since I am regularly writing in german so I wasn´t so sure about the quality. It is kind of interesting though because I started it without any plan on what the story should be about but just the title as an anchor and every time I sit down (mostly in break time during work) to write a few sentences I let myself surprise what to write next (so basically I make up names, places, history, optics, religions, architectures and stuff like that while writing - is really great fun). So this is an interesting journey for me and I start to get the feeling that I will have a hard time really finishing it as a short story ;)

My main thing I am working on though is a Novel Series in which I am currently writing on the second book of my introduction Trilogy and parallel to that on 4 other books which I fill whenever I am in the mood for it so that is the reason why I am only writing short pieces here :)

Odee

Postby Odee » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:39 pm

if that one was meant for me than I say thank you very much for that huge compliment :)

Actually that is my first try writing a little bit in english since I am regularly writing in german so I wasn´t so sure about the quality. It is kind of interesting though because I started it without any plan on what the story should be about but just the title as an anchor and every time I sit down (mostly in break time during work) to write a few sentences I let myself surprise what to write next (so basically I make up names, places, history, optics, religions, architectures and stuff like that while writing - is really great fun). So this is an interesting journey for me and I start to get the feeling that I will have a hard time really finishing it as a short story ;)

My main thing I am working on though is a Novel Series in which I am currently writing on the second book of my introduction Trilogy and parallel to that on 4 other books which I fill whenever I am in the mood for it so that is the reason why I am only writing short pieces here :)
Ihr Gebrauch von Englisch ist viel besser als ich heute Deutsch verstehe. German Sprechen war auch meine Muttersprache. LOL

For the non-German sprecht: Your use of English is much better than my understanding of German is today. German speak was my first language too. LOL
Odee says,

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:48 am

Ihr Gebrauch von Englisch ist viel besser als ich heute Deutsch verstehe. German Sprechen war auch meine Muttersprache. LOL

For the non-German sprecht: Your use of English is much better than my understanding of German is today. German speak was my first language too. LOL
oh don´t mind that :) I think it is always nice when one still tries and I would never judge the quality of somebody using a language he/she has not used for that long as you probably have.

And by the way I have a lot of practice since I talk to my american family and friends on a regular base and sometimes even use it at work plus I read quite a bit in english and from time to time write poems in english since I feel that the english language is more poetic than the german one (I do german poems too anyway ;) )

Thinking about it, you know my Mom is a German too but has lived in the USA for the last 22 years (I stayed in Germany since I entered the Police Force in that time back then). When I call her it is always a funny mix-up of german and english. Like starting a sentence in english going on with a few german words and going back to english without even noticing it ;). Or even better - talking english with me than my Dad asks something - she answers him in german (which he can´t understand a single word of) and then goes on talking in english with me - is kind of hilarious and I just am sorry I cannot see his face when something like that happens :D

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:57 am

The House of Shadow, Wind and Smoke Part 8

„Good Morning!“ Garean was in his typical cheerful mood and once again Tyreen regretted that he didn´t leave him in the Woods a few weeks ago. Just for moments like that it would have been worth not passing the test. With an irritated groan he turned around, trying to ignore that smile right in front of his face. But it was of no use and with a last deep breath he suddenly moved up. Garean jumped backwards, startled from the sudden movement and Tyreen smiled. When he had to go up after all, at least he could give his roommate a little payback fort hat unhuman mood he showed at this time of the day.

After breakfast the three Secondlings, as they where called now after passing the Group-Awareness-Test changed into their training outfits and left the building. Now after they had finished the initial training their situation had improved significantly. Tyreen remembered the day after Sindral told them that they had passed when Dranaan appeared again and told them, that they are now promoted to Second Grade Apprenticeship and are now fit to have a certain amount of freedom and responsibility.

And that basically meant, that he had to write a weekly Training Schedule, which he had to show all Masters and when it met their expectations he was supposed to make sure that his team-mates where following it. A task which initially was something he was kind of afraid of, but to his big surprise neither Garean nor Sareja questioned him but just did what he asked them to do. And so it was part of the routine, that they did some morning sport after training, followed by training with Lord Maelian, than doing some more theory in the afternoon with one of the other Masters and finally finishing the day with Master Tovair. He just felt that was fitting because after a day of frutstrating brainstorming and learning he always had the urge to hit and smash something. In the beginning he was not to sure about him being selfish and misusing his power but he noticed pretty soon, that the other two where not really minding it but instead seem to enjoy getting some steam off themselves.

And now another day had began and again they where doing their workout through the woods. It was usually a quite and peaceful thing since Garean needed his breath for something else than talking and Sareja was not that much into conversation anyway, but this time something was different. He couldn´t point the finger on it but he had that feeling „Sareja, Garean I think something is wrong here. I want you to keep your senses sharp and try to figure out what it is. Be ready for anything!“ He did not even understand why he added that last sentence, but he always had some kind of sensitivity for approaching things and so he had learned to trust those.

And his feelings where right! It was already close to an hour later and Tireen began to question his premonition when suddenly something rushed towards them from the trees. He saw the silhouette just in the nick of time to get out of the way by jumping right into his teammates. The two where quite surpised but reacted instantly and Tyreen could feel a wave of pride going through him as he saw how both rolled with the motion back on their feet while grapping their weapons. It was instantly and obviously it was enough for their attacker to accept, that the surprise part was not working anymore. Instead they could see five people completely clothed in black fabric coming out from behind the surrounding trees. His eyes moved between the attackers and back to his comrades. That was something they definitely where not ready for yet. They would need help! But that could only come from within the city – and they still where around twenty minutes away from it. Still it was their best chance. „Sareja, you are the fastest! Get help! Garean – we need to get our backs covered!“ Both nodded and without any other words all three of them turned around towards the space which was the weakest in that ring of attackers.

To his relief it worked. The Man behind them was actually to surprised to prevent them from breaking through and after a short run back, they reached a spot, where they where covered from sight from a moment and Sareja used it, to split from them, disappearing in the bushes where they were the densest using her size advantage to get rid of her followers. He just hoped, that there where not enough to cover the whole city surroundings. Next to him Garean was already breathing hard but the regular training had payed of and Tyreen could see, that he was still completely focused. „What do you mean Garean?“ The blonde boy kept his eyes on the track but he could tell he was thinking „The lake ten minutes from here has a narrow spot. There it would be hard getting behind us and if nothing else works, we can get extra time by going into the water.“ Tyreen nodded – nothing better would have gone through his mind anyway „Then lets grit our teeths and get there!“

Tireen stared at the group in front of him preparing himself for the coming attack. Next to him Garean still breathed heavily but his stance was that of him being ready and Tyreens confidence grew a little bit. First he felt a little bit uneasy about Gareans plan where they should make their stand but deep within he knew that there was no better place in the closer surroundings and the longer they would hav run the harder it would have been for them to gather the strength to put up a fight – not mentioning for their reinforcements to find them. He was surprised how much he was thinking at a moment like that, when the first two attackers suddenly started their move on them. He reacted instinctively and in a fluent motion he circled around his attacker letting him run into the empty and with a quick stab the man disappeared in the lake behind them. Garean in the meantime took the fight towards his opponent, blocking is strikes at the beginning while measuring him until he decided, he had seen enough and started his counter attack with a fast combo of strikes and kicks until his attacker reached a well in the ground, where he lost his footing. After that it was over with another fast hit and Tyreen realized, that Garean actually had planned to use the ground to his advantage. The other three now where more careful and waited, ready to attack, when they would make there move. And Tireen realized, that their first victory was mainly because they were underestimated. These Three would certainly not make that mistake again. A feeling, which where confirmed when one of them activated his AI Bracelet, giving somebody on the other side of the transmission their location. Garean, still ready to fight glanced over to him, waiting for his signal but he just shook his head. Their best chance of getting through that was waiting for help and he did not want to risk Garean because they had a short moment of success and got reckless.

So they stood there, waiting for one of them making a move, while they themselves just hoped, that Sareja had managed to get through. Then suddenly Tireen could hear people coming and his hopes got up, that they actually managed to hold their ground long enough. A hope which vanished into nothingness when the approaching group became visible and Tireen recognized that those wore the same clothes as their opponents. „Get ready for an attack and when I give the sign you dive as deep as you can!“ he whispered. Than the attack came and Tireen ditched it, while using the speed and energy to bring es much power into the kick towards the next one as he could „Now, get into the water!“ Garean nodded, while jumping into the lake. Now it was only him left and those three in front of him. It was a fight he could not hope to win but if he would follow Garean they could not get far enough to avoid them following or attacking them with distance weapons when they would get back up to breath. So he tried to move as fast as he could to avoid giving them a clear aim towards him and somehow he managed it. On after the other attack went into the empty and he started hoping that it actually might work out, when suddenly he misread an attack and did the wrong step. The kick was powerful and nearly took him out immidiately. With the last bit of conciousness he tried to avoid the next attack but he knew it would be the last one and so he prepared for his end, when suddenly he heard the impact of objects entering bodies and people screaming in agony. The awaited final blow never came and with a feeling of great relief during his last moments of conciousness he realized that reinforcements where finally here and he actually had survived his first fight as a member of the House of Shadow, Wind and Smoke!
Last edited by Avatar PDM on Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:06 am

The House of Shadow, Wind and Smoke Part 9

It was nice, dark and warm and Tyreen felt happy. So happy, that he refused to react to the voice calling out for him. Even when the voice got more demanding he still felt like smiling and went on ignoring its meaning. A behaviour, which the owner of that voice was obviously not willing to accept because suddenly he felt two hands grapping him on his shoulders, shaking him. Reluctantly he opened his eyes, trying to figure out who it was who did disturb him, just to look into a pair of iceblue eyes.

Sareja was standing in front of him „You really should do something about that habit of ending up in that bed every time something happens.“ Tyreen looked at her unsure what kind of reply would be fitting to that kind of greeting. At least for a moment. Than he realized, that he was laying in his bed and Sareja was practically above him. Suddenly embarrased he shouted at her „What are you doing in a mens-bedroom? You should not be here! And just by the way – it is not like I would intend to fall on my face every single time something is happening, you know?“ She straighted up again, slightly raising an eyebrow „You don´t have to worry. I already had Biology Classes, so there is nothing new or shocking for me to see on a male body which could trigger my curiousity, so you can relax. I didn´t do anything to you while you where asleep. But you have been out of it for two days again and since Garean had other orders he asked me look after you while he would be gone“.

It was that kind of voice she always had. Barely no emotion, no sign of unsecurity or doubt. Like nothing could get to her. In a sudden urge of wanting that armor to crack he grapped her wrist getting her close to him again „Who said anything about me worrying about me? Maybe it is just me being worried about you? I mean, how would you know, what a young man being surprised in his bed by a woman could be capable of?“ For a moment he could see her blushing a little bit, before she regained her composure freeing herself out of his grip „Don´t do that to yourself! You can gain nothing, you can only loose by acting that way. You don´t need that! And now, since you are obviously well enough again to act stupid, you can as well get out of the bed and back to class again.“ She said that with her typical calm voice but somehow he felt there was something different in it this time and suddenly he felt bad about his behaviour.

Again he reached out for her hand, this time more gentle though „You are right! I am sorry, I should not have acted that way. You were friendly and a good enough teammate to use your spare time here and I act like a stupid kid. Thank you for getting help and thank you for watching over me. I should have appreciated it more right away. Now I am doing it!“ With that being said he let go of her hand again, while adding an apologetic smile to his words. Again he could see her get red a bit and was quite surprised that his simple gesture would make her react that way and suddenly felt kind of unsure again, about what to do. Then Sareja broke the silence „You really should get up and dressed. We paused a complete day and should not waste any more time. I will wait outside“ With that she was gone and left Tyreen behind, wondering what that was about. But since he had no idea about what was going on, he put the thought aside, deciding, that he would have to talk to Garean about it, when they where alone again this evening.

Later that afternoon, while he and Sareja where training Garean finally came back from his assignment „Hey there. Glad that you finally are back on your feet again. I was really worried about you!“ Tyreen went over to him, signalling Sareja to make a break. He saw his roommate standing there in his regular uniform and sighed „Thanks for that. I just wonder, why even though I seem to have the better endurance you are always get back up before me. Kind of irritates me that I am that weak, you know.“ Garean shaked his head slightly „Don´t worry you are in fact in a better physical condition. You are just pushing yourself way harder than I am. I should be the one being irritated because you keep on showing me how weak my will is. I actually do admire you for that, you know? You are able to push yourself beyond your limits until the deed is done. You do not allow yourself to give in before that and therefore you need more rest for me. Logical, isn´t it? So don´t put yourself down. You saved me again.“ With that he waved Sareja to come to them „Anyway, I am supposed to get you two for a meeting“.

A few minutes later, they were in the meeting room and Tyreen sat there with growing surprise while one Master after the other entered the room. Even Lord Master Gleanar and Master Willain came here. He wondered if that all would be connected to the attack from two days ago. But then again, he doubted, that an attack-unit, which was not even strong enough to beat a bunch of novices should give the Masters any concern. Then the Grand Master started the meeting „Dear Members of our Council I therefore declare this meeting to be opened. As you all are aware by now two days ago three of our apprentices have been attacked near the city. Luckily the attackers felt to secure and full of themselves and did not expect our apprentices to react in such a fine manner. Thanks to that reaction they where not just able to save themselves but also gave us the time to catch some of them alive. According to our mindscan they were just hired muscle, so sadly our opponet was careful enough to not reveal himself that easy. But we still could get some intelligence out of that questioning. Intelligence, which proved to be useful to our Master Maelian. Please, you go on.“ The old Librarian nodded and stood up „Masters of the Order. As the Grand Master already stated was there no clean Connection to the person responsible for that. Still it came to my notice, that luckily for us, our anonymous oponent was even less trusting that it would be called for. So instead of accepting, that he paid somebody to do his dirty work and wait for that person to return, he used a spell to make sure, they won´t betray him. That spell is not an absolute giveaway but they way it had been done gives us an approximate idea where that kind of spellcasters do exist.“ The Grand Master took over again „So, now that this is clear, I want to keep the rest short. Master Tovair and Master Daraan will stay here, because we have to be able to defend our Base. Master Varaoks place is here anyway and the Lord Master is out of question as well. Therefore there are only two persons left for that task. Master Willain and Master Maelian! I want you two to go there and find out, who our enemy is and if possible neutralize him. Since we do not want the word about the incident to be spread I do not want any Novices to be included and since our other Members working for Master Willain are all in the middle of appointments we only have one option! So, Tyreen, Sareja and Garean – since you three already know about that incident I want you three to accompany the Masters and do whatever they ask to support them and end the danger for the House of Shadow, Wind and Smoke!“

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:13 am

The House of Shadow, Wind and Smoke Part 10

It was an hour before Sunrise, when Tyreen got up and to his surprise this time he was actually the first one on his feet. Garean obviously was somebody who went up with the sun but definitely not earlier. He on the other hand had his AI prepared to take care of that and so he was now awake and full of mischievous thoughts. Silently he got up, crept over to Gareans bed, took a bowl of water and began to empty it right on his face. It took a moment until the blonde boy realized, that getting wet certainly was no part of his dream and with a sudden move he got up just to bang his head right into the bowl above him which made him fall right back into his pillow holding his head „What the hell, was that about? Could you not just have shaken me a bit to wake me up? Did it really have to be getting my bed wet?“ Tyreen just shrugged his shoulders „I could have but I thought this would be more fun. And by the way you won´t need your bed for a while anyway, so that certainly won´t matter. Garean sighed and went up.

When the sun rised that morning the group was already on his way and Garean actually was still savouring his bad mood. A fact, that placed a smile on Tyreens face for quite a while. Then his thoughts moved towards the reason for this journey and he turned to Master Maelian „Master, may I ask a question“? He knew the old man did put great value in respectful behaviour and since they were together with him for a while he decided, that it did not make any sense in provoking him in any way. So instead he wanted to show that he could behave right. The old man looked down towards him „What is it?“ Tyreen knew that Maelian always had been the quite type, so he guessed that that reply was alright for him, and he went on „I realize, that we are Novices, which are regularly nowhere near enough to a status to be on any mission not to mention one in foreign territory. So I kind of doubt that we could be of any use in our current state of training. That is why I have been wondering, if you are planning on teaching us on our journey?“ The Master raised an eyebrow and suddenly smiled „I see, you are starting to get used to use your head for something more than just getting food and air into your body. Yes indeed, Master Willain and me, we are planning on going on with your training on this journey! We don´t want you fail your exams, which will await for you, when you return, after all!“ He sighed. Just great, and he already had hoped, that this trip would give them a ticket for leaving some of those tests away. Then again, he should not have been surprised, that this would not work with the old man.

It was noon, when they did their first stop and Master Maelian handed them their lunch before taking the word „Well Novices. Since you already know, what this journey is all about I will use the time of this lunch break to tell you a bit about your training exercises. Of course my priority will be, making you ready, for what is to come. But that does not mean, that you won´t be getting the regular excercises too. And Master Willain will take care of your physical training, while we are on our way. He will teach you about camouflage, about stealth and about attacking. Do not worry, though we can doubt, that anyone is on par with Master Tovair he is still quite good and quite possibly the second best fighter of our order! Me, as for getting back tot hat, will take care of your Magic Abilities as priority and will take care of the rest of the necessary knowledge during our evening rest. So this may sound a little bit demanding, but you all should see it as an opportunity to learn what you never could have learned in the city. And I assure you, it will make you your progress during the coming semesters much easier!“ He smiled Tyreen and Garean exchanged a short look and then nodded obediently.

The blast nearly knocked him over and Tyreen was stunned by the swiftness, with which the old Master could move and summon any kind of magical energy. The evening before he explained them, that Magic was in fact an echo of old creative and chaotic essence from the beginning of existence and therefore it messed with the mental need for order in any mortal intelligent being. And that again would explain the need for using spells to contact the conciousnesses of the magical plane, which would in return for their energy and attention grant them what they would ask for with their spell as long as it would be within their power and nature. The only problem here was, that Tyreen would first have to awaken that latent creative energy whithin himself and secondly memorize all the names, which would bring him into contact with the spirits of the magical plane, so they would know that he would be talking to them. And now he not had to recall that lesson from last evening at all but even more within the stress situation of being attacked. Another attack came into his direction and this time he just dodged it. Just to be stuck in some kind of liquid, which made it harder to move by the second. He felt how pressure was starting to build up and tried to remember, what Maelian had explained them, when suddenly the pressure disappeared again „You three would have been dead now! The one most important thing in any kind of magical combat is the swiftness of mind. Who thinks first, wins! You have to move and think fast and flexible And you have to be able to ignore any kind of pressure, you might feel. There is never any time for hestitation, remember that!“ The three Novices breathed deeply. It was really true, what Maelian had told them. This was completely different as it was in the city! It was a thought which came with a sudden rush of excitement and with the sudden realization, what Garean had meant, when they first talked about his dream. The Houses where something great and important but it was even greater to test the horizons of everything. And here they finally could! They really where not in the House of Shadow, Wind and Smoke anymore!

Odee

Postby Odee » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:17 am

Interlude: Do you mind comments interspersed between chapters/parts? This is looking pretty good so far to me. ;)
Odee says,

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:53 am

Interlude: Do you mind comments interspersed between chapters/parts? This is looking pretty good so far to me. ;)
not at all :)

I actually have been thinking about offering that if somebody would like to give a keyword I would somehow weaving it into my plot :)
(Always was fun for me - I did that writing poems, that a person gave me a word and I wrote a poem about it - or during my pen and paper role playing time I improvised with the story asking for keywords from the other players at the beginning to form a plot with those single words ;) )

Odee

Postby Odee » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:37 am

not at all :)

I actually have been thinking about offering that if somebody would like to give a keyword I would somehow weaving it into my plot :)
(Always was fun for me - I did that writing poems, that a person gave me a word and I wrote a poem about it - or during my pen and paper role playing time I improvised with the story asking for keywords from the other players at the beginning to form a plot with those single words ;) )
That sounds great, especially as a muse for writers. We used to do that in the writer's critique group I chaired for a number of years. Give a keyword, or phrase, and go from there. Saw some pretty imaginative writing, I tell you true. Yes, the keywords... I tell you true... ;)
Odee says,

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:05 am

Gold
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Odee

Postby Odee » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:07 am

Gold
No sword for you. Hand me another donut, please. :lol:
Odee says,

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:24 am

So Odee here it goes :)

sorry G.A. I will get to yours next - first one first ;)

The House of Shadow, Wind and Smoke Part 11

„Today, we will reach the border! From that moment on, we have to be more careful and aware of our surroundings! Do not forget that. The time for careless training will soon be over!“ Master Maelian said that in an incidental way but they knew it were not. It showed Tyreen, that the Master actually were worried. Otherwise he would have said nothing at all. Still it was a day on which nothing could disturb Tyreens Mood on so he just nodded smiling. After all, today was that day, when they finally brought an attack through Maelians defenses after more than four weeks of depressing and painful defeats. Of course the old Master still beat them as easy as always. But still, they finally were able to touch him! And even better, it was him who came up with the strategy.

His thoughts went back to the last evening, when he asked Garean and Sareja for a little private talk. He explained them, that he was sure, that their combined strength wouldn´t be enough to beat somebody like Maelian for the next 50 years or so, but he still had an idea. If strength would not suffice, it had to be stealth! After all, their House Name had to have some meaning! And so he came up with the idea, that one of them should shield the attack, while the next one should put an illussion around the remainder of the magical energy, so that Maelian would believe, that he neutralized it. The plan worked and the old Mage got hit. But that was the last thing, working according their plan, because the spell still did not affect Master Maelian as hoped and stunned him, but only surprised him for a moment. And after that moment was gone he replied with a grim smile on his face and a powerful multi-attack, which targeted them all three at the same time. Still they managed to hit him and Tyreen was quite proud of himself. Nothing could take that away from them and with that also not kill his mood!

This evening they spent the night in a little log cabin in the middle of the woods. A place, which Master Willain had recommended since he felt, that it would be better that nobody along the borderlines would know about them crossing it. Silently they were sitting around a fireplace waiting for their soup to get warm, while anyone followed their own thoughts when suddenly Master Maelian started talking „You know you three, that attack this morning was pretty good thought and performed. You still lack the power of course but there was some beautiful creativity in it. I am proud of you all! Still, you still have to learn to combine spells! I am pretty sure, that the cloaking spell would not need that much of your magical pool, that it would really matter. So if the one, guarding the attack would also cloak it, you would have either have one to power up that attack or what I think would be better, protect the team from any possible counter attacks. Think about that in the following weeks and train it! The chances for practically using magic will be less, because we need to be more careful not to reaveal our presence and Master Willain and me will also be more busy with shielding us from any possible observation. Still there is much to learn and to practice without actually drawing to much attention! But still, be aware of what I have told you here at any time! We do have a peace-contract with that country we are about to enter, but the Salaar Empire is still not to fond of foreign Mages and tend to look at them as spies! So, when anything happens like Master Willain and me getting separated from you three or maybe killed, than there will be two things to be done: First you need to get into contact with the local authorities whom you will tell, that you are messengers on their way to our embassy. There you will inform the ambassador about what you know so far and secondly one of you has to get back as fast as possible to inform the Order about us, so that they will be able to react. They will know what to do! Everybody got that?“ The three nodded and the old Man smiled satisified.

That conversation at the border was something which made Tyreen and Garean feel a little bit uneasy for quite a while, since it was the first time their superiors mentioned the possibility, that they might not be powerful enough to deal with the situation. And so they avoided the topic for a while. Still it was wandering through their minds, always being present and kind of dampened the mood. So after the first week in foreign territory while the three Novices took care of firewood and something to eat, Master Willain accompanied them.

Eventually he started talking „You guys are brooding to much lately. That little monologue of our old companion must have really gotten to you. Well I guess it is about time for you all to learn a little bit about Master Maelian before the mood drops even further. I don´t like funerals and I don´t like my journeys feel like them! So, listen! Master Maelian is the oldest Member of our order by far! He performes his duty in the library now for more than nine decades and he tought pretty much anyone of the Masters you know now! But I guess that much wouldn´t come as a suprise to you, since you all got an idea how old he must be! There is way more to him though than just this! There was a time, when he was the most impressive battlemage, this order had known until then! His magical strength was overwhelming – as you surely have noticed by now – and his mental strength and knowledge of spells where just as impressive! He actually was part oft he reason, why we have that peace contract with Salaar! They sent quite a few Assassins to make sure our order would not be in the condition to withstand the Assault, which were in the making back then. And we sent Master Maelian as a reply. He burnt down their Mage Academy as to teach them a lesson. And the lesson worked! Salaar accepted our peace offer and signed the treaty. But that was only the official part, which anyone knows! One last attack had been launched by the survivors of that Academy Incident! They did not act on any order and also did not care about any strategic aspect. They just wanted revenge! And they got their revenge because Master Maelian ended up in a tragic constellation. It…“

Willain were disrupted in his tale by the voice of Maelian who had approached them silently and without them noticing „You should tell the story right or not tell it at all. Members of our Order deserve to be treated that way! So listen and listen carefully because that lesson might be the single most important one of your live. There have been many stories about that one – some official, some more like legends, made up by people who wanted some kind of spotlight for themselves. But there is only one who really can tell you and that is me: I tell you the truth! I was still young and absolutely full of myself. I had power and that power made me drunk. I just had defeated a complete Organisation of Mages and thought of myself as unbeatable. So, when I got the intelligence note of that revenge plan I did not activate the protocol to deal with such manners but wanted to take care of it myself, feeling that it was still a loose string of my former mission and it would be a stain on my reputation not having dealt with it completely. It was a mistake, which because of my arrogance cost 11 Members of our order their lives and it made me give up my position as the Master of Operations. After that I decided, that unlike my former self I really knew nothing. Nothing worth the word knowledge, at least! I was absolutely sure, that my lack of knowledge let to that failure and the death of my comrades! Therefore I pledged myself to gaining and sharing knowledge, making sure that that kind of arrogance never where accepted and ignored in those halls again!“

The five where silent for a while, sorting their feelings about that story until Tyreen looked at Master Maelian, asking him „Master, though I never knew where to put that story and back then could not really understand it, even I have heard of it, though in different versions. Still, when I hear and feel it from you, there is something which is really hard to grasp. I don´t know, but is that the reason, why you are really part of that mission? Did you not just recognize the magic behind it but did it by any chance stir up memories of that mission back then?“ While saying those last words his eyes moved away from the old man and he barely whispered the last words. Still everybody unterstood and the silence that followed was pressing down on them. Then suddenly he felt Maelians hand on his shoulder „You are right! I indeed recognized it and felt the urge to follow that because of some kind of guilt which still has to do with that experience! You are indeed very perceptive! Still, I want to tell you all something which I also believ is really important for you all: There is never a single truth because anyone has its own personal view on creation and reality. Anyone has ist own experiences and feelings and who can tell which ones are more true? So, for all you might experience in your coming live, always remember that. Never trust a singular truth. Always question and reflect it, when somebody says – I tell you true! And especially as a member of the House of Shadow, Wind and Smoke!“

Return to “The Starboard Lounge”