Can We Have A Legacy Naming System?

Warhead

Re: Can We Have A Legacy Naming System?

Postby Warhead » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:23 pm

I like the global idea too; however, I don't want the global to show. If a learner wants to see the global, I would like it to be like CoH and they could click on info for your character and see the global. I really would think it would be rare that 2 characters with the same name would really meet up that often.

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:29 pm

At the beginning especially, with one zone, one server, and limited powersets, I think it will happen reasonably often.

Ravynwynd

Postby Ravynwynd » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:46 pm

I'm used to "Rename Token's" - a simple way for a game company to make a little bit of money.

I know that Star Wars the Old Republic has a "Legacy System" - it's an interesting concept, however, it also holds a problem.

Being a role-player, we seem to like our "Alts" - why would I want my Alt to have the same Last Name from my main character?

Unless there were some sort of check box feature.

If a Costume can be saved, why not save a Name?

Save a Character Name for your account.

Simple solution.

The End.

Mandu

Postby Mandu » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:13 pm

Well if you don't mind losing the old character then reserving the name should be relatively simple. Just have a character reroll system that reduces the character to level one and lets you rechoose everything from sex to archetype. That way the name is in no danger of being lost because the character is never deleted, just reformed from the primordial goo.

Dezzer

Postby Dezzer » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:50 am

Well if you don't mind losing the old character then reserving the name should be relatively simple. Just have a character reroll system that reduces the character to level one and lets you rechoose everything from sex to archetype. That way the name is in no danger of being lost because the character is never deleted, just reformed from the primordial goo.
Wow! Awesome idea! I like this a lot. No fear of losing your name at all and still able to recreate your hero the way you want to if you ever change your mind, or if a new archetype becomes available, or whatever the circumstance. This has my vote!
Some will say the glass is half full,
Others will say the glass is half empty,
I say just give me the drink! Cheers!

POSSUMNUTS

Postby POSSUMNUTS » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:13 pm

Can I have 1 name, the same name, for all of my characters?

Angel Phoenix77

Postby Angel Phoenix77 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:25 pm

We're still hoping the community will come up with a widely accepted naming system through discussion here in the forums.

But we agree something has to be done so that players can hold onto a name they are using and want to move to a new character.
May I make a suggestion, about the naming legacy. If we look at Star Wars Tor as an example, we could try and use that as a basis. Such as a surname, or as Secret World does it. Code name or Hero name, then first name and then lastly last name. And this what the legacy name could be. Using the last name. If people wanted their characters related some way.

Gamegod

Postby Gamegod » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:56 pm

Personally I hate having each of my characters connected this way. Its like that in swtor and BD. I sometimes want to log in and not have everyone know who I am.
Never say too much; always say enough. :roll:

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:39 am

We're hoping for someone among the community of posters here to bring this all together and write down the "proposed naming system," and get most everyone to agree.

Can that happen?

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:56 am

This is a compendium of the ideas listed.

------------------------------------------

Lots of people like the idea of global names. I do too. However, some people want to go in anonymously on occasion, so people can’t put two and two together and identify the player. Also, one of the rewards for donating is name reservation. So here is what I think will please everyone.

Use global names. This allows the re-use of popular names amongst many users. Since ‘name hording’ is a thing with gold farmers, this would solve it. The global name can only be seen if you target the character. Players can choose between listing their ‘family’ name or the numeric value determined by the order they set up their account, or a random eight-character code (numbers letters and symbols) they can request.

Let’s take an example of me and Golden Ace.

I use the family name GladDog. He uses the family name Full House. He is the 4th person to register with SoH, and I am the 17th. We both plan to use tanks for our mains, but also we both want to try other ATs. Let’s say I make a Dark/ Dark Brawler and he makes a Dark/ Dark Devastator. We both want the name Black Jack. That is fine! I can choose Black Jack@GladDog or Black Jack@17. Ace can use Black Jack@Full House or Black Jack@4. But let’s say that Ace decides he wants to solo this character and does not want to be disturbed. He requests a random code, which ends up being 1234aB~!. This code is assigned to him for 10 days. So he is using Black Jack@1234aB~!. The only people that would know who he was are the ones on his friends list, and he can ‘go anonymous; if he wants, not showing up as online to anyone. After 10 days his name will automatically revert to Black Jack@Full House. Or, he can request a new random code.

Before people grump that this is a pain, they need to realize that gold farmers hate global names. They cannot hide themselves for very long with global names, normally needing to start a new account to continue their ‘trade’ once they have been discovered. This is a no-no to farmers, as every time they have to spend money to continue, they have to earn that money back before they are making money. Considering how much time they need to invest to get to that break-even territory, it will make this game very unappealing. While some people just want a little anonymity, Farmers will ALWAYS choose a random code. If they want to keep using this character, they need to stay as anonymous as possible.

I would rather not even use the random codes, but since some people really want that anonymity, they should have it available.

There is one exception to the global names requirement. When you purchase an account, you get one unique name that no one else can choose. There is no family name attached to this. Also, donating to specific levels gets you unique names, $50 gets you one, $500 gets you two, and $5000 gets you five (this is on the donations page). These names never have a global name attached to them, even if someone targets the character. Unique names could also be a reward given with Founder’s Packs. Let’s use Ace and I again as examples. Let’s say he chooses Golden Ace as one of his unique names. His name would be listed as Golden Ace, with no family name attached. You would not see his family name even if you target him. Let’s say that I decide I want to make a character named Golden Ace, assuming it would be Golden Ace@GladDog. I would get an error message stating that Golden Ace is a reserved name and cannot be duplicated. I could use Goldon Ace, or Golden Ase, or Golden Ace1, but not Golden Ace.

What does everyone think?
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:03 pm

maybe I missed it.

I really don’t like the idea of being able to see the secondary name at all, at least in normal game play. If someone sends me a message they should see it at that point.

As for chatting

In local and team speak it should be just golden Ace without the secondary name.

In broadcast though I think you should see the full name golden Ace@gladdog

I do concur with the rest although I am ... iffy on the random code thing. Not against it. Just not 100% convinced of it.

Thanks for putting that forward GladDog I wasn’t willing to even try and put something like that together on my iPhone
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:28 pm

The team needs to be able to identify people 'not playing the game as intended' i.e. griefers, farmers and trolls. They cannot punish someone they cannot pinpoint. There are two ways to do this; all unique names, like CoH had, or global names. Since some people want to have the option to be anonymous at times, I thought of the random identifier idea.

The problem with unique names is that eventually the 'good' names are used up. This was a HUGE problem in CoH. It got so bad that some people were selling their names for real cash, because the buyer wanted THAT name. Also, it was easy to make a character with similar looks and powers that they used for griefing. For example, you could have a top notch player that is everything this community stands for, named Fire Lord. A butt head that was ticked because Fire Lord would not join their team makes a character that looks exactly like Fire Lord, but is named 'Fiire Lord'. He then proceeds to grief a group of new players, and because they only get a brief look at him report 'Fire Lord'. If there were global identifiers, this would never happen.

While global names are a bit complex, it makes it a LOT harder for people to get away with pretending they are someone else. It also means that unless Fire Lord is taken as a unique name, it is available to everyone, therefore removing the motivation to name hoard.

However, some players really want to be anonymous at times, which is why I thought of the random identifier. It is the best idea to solve this problem? Probably not. I would really love to see some other ideas. Just because random identifiers is a good idea does not mean there are not much better ideas out there to solve the problem.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:43 pm

While I agree that we should be able to identify who individuals are I just don’t want to see the tag name along with your superhero name - it just ruins the whole superhero experience. Superman is known as superman, not as superman@Clark_Kent.

As long as we have a way of identifying the individual by clicking on his name and seeing that full name I’m OK with it, but just being out in the open and running around every one should just see “Golden Ace” If someone wants know who I am they can click on my character to see the full name.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

gemini

Postby gemini » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:37 pm

You probably can't protect anonymity without making Character names unique.

For example if two people wanted to make the character "Gemini" you'd have to differentiate between Gemini@Gemini and Gemini@GladDog

That said - If you're allowing spaces and numbers and things in character names, unique naming shouldn't be a real issue; and allows for reserving names from donation rewards. I think it's fine

Would allow people to set their global status to "invisible" to play anonymously as well.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:31 pm

A simple answer to this is to hide the global name unless the character is targeted AND then the person looking needs to click 'inspect' or some such thing.

Return to “Ask the Devs”