Does it have to be called Unobtanium?

Kawless

Does it have to be called Unobtanium?

Postby Kawless » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:23 pm

Can't we dream up a name for it :?:

Pyrion

Re: Does it have to be called Unobtanium?

Postby Pyrion » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:53 am

Miraculum?

brawlizard

Postby brawlizard » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:00 am

In case you are worried, the term did not come from avatar.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium
It is an old engineering term for materials that are theoretically impossible.

Lazarus

Postby Lazarus » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:24 pm

I rather like Unobtanium. It looks like something that would be a new addition to the periodic table :)

Wing Leader

Postby Wing Leader » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:58 pm

I'm not a fan of the term because it is a meta-term, and should probably stay that way. It would be like calling the energy waves that Unobtanium emits Handwavium. We use these terms to speak about the genre from a meta perspective; we don't use them within the genre unless the game world is mocking itself.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:30 am

Well, adamantium, kryptonite, and dilithium were all taken...

Really there is no answer that will please everyone, and some amount of willing suspension of disbelief is required for any setting 500 years from now.

I have occasionally wondered how Stan Lee sold the "he was bitten by a radioactive spider" story.

Wing Leader

Postby Wing Leader » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:31 pm

Not sure if serious. :shock:

Surely there are sufficiently creative minds over there that can come up with new terms that sound original and cool.

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:00 am

I actually like the term Unobtanium, though I of course understand the feeling that it's a little cheesy or too obvious. I like it because it seems a bit comic-bookey - it sort of introduces a dash of humor into the setting, which I think enhances everything because the rest of the universe is so well thought out and relatively serious sci-fi. Unobtanium - kind of cheesy, but we're all superheroes, which is kind of a cheesy concept in itself, so hey. Unobtanium also seems a bit mysterious, which is good. Unobtanium seems a bit "fun" to me, and I think is a bit reflective of the underlying fun atmosphere the devs want to create with SoH. I see your point though - it could be called zirilonium or hydraxonite or furon or whatever to make it seem more like a real element in the universe. In that case, we must pretend the humans of SoH call it Unobtanium for a reason - probably having to do with them not being able to acquire or synthesize it very easily..!

Wing Leader

Postby Wing Leader » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:57 pm

I dunno. Unobtainium sounds more cartoony to me than comic-booky. And the use of "dust" as a kind of currency feels odd to me; it reminds me of Babylon 5 and makes me think the game wants to be more sci-fi than superhero in its emphasis. While it was extremely abstract, "influence", as an in-game currency, made quite a bit more sense to me in a superhero setting than even money did. But "dust" isn't even a form of money, it is a raw material, like gold nuggets, and trading in dust feels to me like my superhero is in some sort of far future Western.

Of course, I'll still play the hell out of this game. I'm just saying that the names of some of these things sound silly or out of place to my ears, that's all.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:37 am

I dunno. Unobtainium sounds more cartoony to me than comic-booky. And the use of "dust" as a kind of currency feels odd to me; it reminds me of Babylon 5 and makes me think the game wants to be more sci-fi than superhero in its emphasis. While it was extremely abstract, "influence", as an in-game currency, made quite a bit more sense to me in a superhero setting than even money did. But "dust" isn't even a form of money, it is a raw material, like gold nuggets, and trading in dust feels to me like my superhero is in some sort of far future Western.

Of course, I'll still play the hell out of this game. I'm just saying that the names of some of these things sound silly or out of place to my ears, that's all.
Crossing CoH with Babylon 5 is pretty much my idea of heaven. Just sayin' :P

Currency as a rare, hard-to-obtain material is pretty much what currency has traditionally always been. It's really only the last few decades that it's moved to be quite as abstract as it is. Unobtanium dust makes a lot of sense as a currency for superheroes, since it's the source of their powers in this setting. I'm sure there's probably credits or such that the average person on the ship uses to buy their morning coffee, but that's not the sort of thing we'll be buying.

I do feel the name Unobtanium isn't the most...original. The fact it was used in the abysmal movie "The Core" is massive black-mark against it to start with, and it has cropped up in a few other tongue-in-cheek sci-fi stories too. By this point it's no longer funny or clever, and feels like a place-holder rather than the actual term.

It's not going to stop me playing, but, yeah, I did wince a little when I saw it being used :/
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Blue Djinn

Postby Blue Djinn » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:57 am

This is a great post. It's cracking me up. I too think its a bit cartoony and comic booky. And while it may seem a bit droll, I dont think its a game breaker. I personally think it will be one of things that will either grow on you or you wont even notice once you start playing regularly.

I for one vote yea!

MrFreedom

Postby MrFreedom » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:36 pm

I did a little double-take when he said Unobtanium also. But then I thought about it.

What is Unobtanium? The "hard definition"

un·ob·tain·i·um
ˌənəbˈtānēəm/
nouninformal
noun: unobtanium
a highly desirable material that is hypothetical, scientifically impossible, extremely rare, costly, or fictional, or has some of these properties in combination.

So where does this drive my Lore Check in my head. In game is it hypothetical, no, impossible, no it's the currency, costly, yeah check. So it can be called this. Now, why do the heroes call it Unobtanium, Scientifically, they may not truly know the properties of it. Can't identify it on the periodic table. Only understand what - it's actually what, unobtanium dust is the currency? While pure unobtanium is what powers the ships systems. But then this rases a question in my head.

We heroes know how to harvest the unobtanium and turn it into power but can't identify it.

Now what I would like to see - (the lore process on why it's called unobtanium)

Long ago, before the ship was built - a earth bound genius hypothesized and drew up plans for the ship. At this time he didn't know how to power the core of the ship - so he called it Unobtanium. And once it was discovered - they "just stuck with the name."

And if something like my cheesy paragraph above happens, I would be completely satisfied with it. Otherwise, it makes no sense in my head :?: :?:

Du Hast

Postby Du Hast » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:39 pm

we can call it "Uno" for short :P

Lazarus

Postby Lazarus » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:50 am

Something tells me that using "Uno" might result in a lawsuit or two... :D

Rune

Postby Rune » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:26 pm

Something tells me that using "Uno" might result in a lawsuit or two... :D
Why? It's just a number in Spanish. ;)

Return to “Ask the Devs”