Community Priorities for 2018

Consultant

Community Priorities for 2018

Postby Consultant » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:28 am

We've made an enormous amount of progress during 2017. One year ago, we had a new website with our backstory and some concept art. Today, we've built a prototype game, published 18 videos documenting our actual development progress, conducted a successful character creator alpha, and shown a good deal of single player and team combat, along with substantial code and art development for things as disparate as mission instancing, a beautiful persistent city, fully functional combat, three enemy groups, multiple hero costumes, and about 80 distinct hero powers. We went to two game conventions (GDC and PAX West), had one open Discord discussion, and managed to meet at least a few of you in person.

With everything we did, 4,410 people subscribed to these forums, and 1,378 subscribers on YouTube, and 452 followers on Twitter. We have 1,068 following us on FB and 1,000 liking our page there.

We've learned a lot this year from the polls on our website, including the following insights:

1. We learned in poll after poll that this community wants us to add a crowd control archetype next, and a pet master after that.

2. Many players want to spend a significant amount of their in-game time on harvesting, crafting and trading.

3. The community agrees that all dev teams need to regularly show real gameplay in order to sustain belief that their MMO is actually being developed.

4. It seems that people want a second level of the ship more than any other expansion.

5. We've learned a lot about the most desired character creation system upgrades.

6. We've had a lot of feedback on combat mechanics.

7. A powerful character creator, and a positive community, are the two most important features of SoH, as judged by the voters in our polls.

8. Holiday events are highly sought after -- Halloween is most requested.

9. Details on powers and powersets are among the most desired information.

10. The thing that would best show how much fun SoH will be to play, is a mission video.

So here is the question: what would you, as a community member, most like to see in 2018? This is a forum post, not a poll, so that you can speak eloquently about multiple subjects. Tell us your priorities about what we should be doing to keep you engaged, and to get others engaged.

Golden Ace

Re: Community Priorities for 2018

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:51 pm

Not sure if this is the right place but i would like to see some priorities when it comes to Bases

Super group bases and your home lair. Superman has the fortress of solitude, Batman has the batcave, green arrow has [s]the arrowca...[/s] The Quiver, wonder woman -Themyscira?, but all are members of the Justice League where they have the watch tower / hall of justice

What I am requesting is to allow players to build their own base that they can expand and highly personalize and a base for the team that can also be expanded and highly personalized. I was a huge base builder in CoH, and bases never got the love they deserved.

so I guess my request is to see

• Personal Lair - think batcave or fortress of solitude bases (small, medium, large, extra large, huge)
  • Super Group Bases (medium, large, extra large, huge, gigantic)
  • Leagues / Meta Super Groups - your super group is aligned with several other super groups and you have access to their bases to use certain items.
  • Costume Slot for your Super Group. The Super Group leader can choose the colors and a starting costume. the costume can me modified by the individual but the colors are set so the costume is up to the individual and they have the option of where the colors will be (work in progress).

• When on a Super Group mission perhaps give extra points (points for lack of a better word) if everyone is in costume. bonus points if you are in the SG costume, extra bonus points for every SG member in costume, and even more if the entire team is filled with SG members in costume.
my two cents

Happy new year everyone.
Last edited by Golden Ace on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:42 pm

Hello and greetings to you Golden Ace... you said ...
Not sure if this is the right place but i would like to see some priorities when it comes to Bases
Super group bases and your home lair. ...
  • Personal Lair - think batcave or fortress of solitude bases (small, medium, large, extra large, huge)
  • Super Group Bases (medium, large, extra large, huge, gigantic)
I will agree with you on personal bases , or housing and what ever the DEV's decide to call then...
BUT i do not agree with super group bases ... YET ... maybe in the future after the ship gets established .
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Penniguin

Postby Penniguin » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:54 pm

Great review for 2017!
It is so funny to think this time last year, I didn't even realize that there was a Ship of Heroes. And now, only 9 months later, excitement builds with each month that passes. With the building anticipation, it seems like the waiting will be unbearable, but what fun it has been to chat, learn and laugh with you all on the forums. I am looking forward to the day I can chat, learn, laugh and battle with you all in the streets of Apotheosis!

I am really torn on Super Group bases.
I loved our Super Group base. I loved changing it around, upgrading and decorating it. One of my best memories was deleting a room in the super group base and not realizing that at the time Eulb was in the room. That was funny. And they were great for extra storage and ease of travel.
However, there is something awesome about seeing large groups of heroes at community centers for banking, storage vault, transportation hubs, ect...... to see their names, their costumes, read their back stories, start a conversation with someone I have not seen before.....

yeah I am torn
Last edited by Penniguin on Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am gonna need to stop for coffee before we head out for the battle. 8-)

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:59 pm

Wait, wait, wait...

I have to know.

What happened to Eulb when you deleted the room he was in?

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:06 pm

One of my best memories was deleting a room in the super group base and not realizing that at the time Eulb was in the room. That was funny.
lol

*stern look* Shame on you. *glare*

>>
<<
>>

did they ever find the body? :oops:
However, there is something awesome about seeing large groups of heroes at community centers for banking, storage vault, transportation hubs, ect...... to see their names, their costumes, read their back stories, start a conversation with someone I have not seen before.....

yeah I am torn
I will concur with you but there were there even though storage teleporters etc were in SG bases. Atlas Park or more precisely the globe in atlas park was a gathering place for much socialization. what we need is a large iconic area that will serve as the same thing.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:14 pm

• Advertising

not sure what you were doing in 2017 - I found you guys via youtube when I was looking at old CoH stuff and the costume creator you showed brought a tear to my eye. but you need more people to join the forums, donate, make suggestions, be pains in the ass, and get behind the project. I had no clue this was going on. but then I generally stayed away from all Superhero MMO stuff because it just depressed me after CoH.

then I had issues registering... thanks for whoever helped with that. :D

Penniguin

Postby Penniguin » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:16 pm

Wait, wait, wait...

I have to know.

What happened to Eulb when you deleted the room he was in?
Rofl- haaaaaa I was so involved in the base remodel, it took me a while to look over at his computer to see what he was ranting about. He was running around in a sea of gray nothing-ness behind the walls of the super base and could not get out. It was kind of like a seen from Tron. I just started laughing especially since he had no idea how he got there and was blaming his computer, City of Heroes, NC soft.... Which of course make me laugh all the more. I am not sure if my guilt or his frustration got the better of me, but I finally fessed up. I still get agro about that :roll:
I am gonna need to stop for coffee before we head out for the battle. 8-)

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:20 pm

I will agree with you on personal bases , or housing and what ever the DEV's decide to call them...
count me as a firm No on housing instead of a lair. did not like housing at all in... one of replacement superhero MMO's I joined for a short time.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:25 pm

Well, we were the subject of nearly 200 articles and blogs last year, we published 18 videos, and had perhaps another dozen made about us, and were active on social media, went to two game conferences... but it is simply true that with a marketing budget near zero, we are dependent upon word of mouth and free media to get the word out.

From what we've seen, most new MMOs take about 15-18 months to get a community going. We're at about month 12, and suddenly we are getting a bunch of new supporters (like you, Golden Ace -- thanks for joining).

So it may take a while.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:39 pm

6. We've had a lot of feedback on combat mechanics.
Who from? *whistles innocently* :P

I would love to see videos from the combat alpha, first, and then increasing details about both combat and crafting mechanics. I want to get stuck into breaking them thoroughly :)
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:27 pm

Well, we were the subject of nearly 200 articles and blogs last year, we published 18 videos, and had perhaps another dozen made about us, and were active on social media, went to two game conferences... but it is simply true that with a marketing budget near zero, we are dependent upon word of mouth and free media to get the word out.

From what we've seen, most new MMOs take about 15-18 months to get a community going. We're at about month 12, and suddenly we are getting a bunch of new supporters (like you, Golden Ace -- thanks for joining).

So it may take a while.
You may have a marketing budget near zero but the amount of promotion you have done in just half a year is more than Plan Z Studios (Heroes and Villains) has done since they formed five years ago. - Your community is very proud of you. :)
How many people telling the same lie does it take for that lie to become true?

Ohioknight

Postby Ohioknight » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:46 am

#1 Massive costume selection, it can be lots of variations of little things -- a wide logo selection will go a long way, for example -- to me the game is a hero creator with the chance to actually do something with your creations. Ideally it should hit all the Superhero classics. You should be able to make an homage to "The Fly" or "Timber Wolf", not to mention all the more famous examples.

#2 "Street Sweeping" -- see above. The most basic public combat function but it should feel like you're actually accomplishing something so the same "gang" shouldn't appear in the same place as soon as you've defeated them. (the AI where the victims chased you down and thanked you or made a sarcastic comment was one of my favorite things in CoH)

#3 A basic randomized mission instance -- "Hero! XXX is attacking YYY go to the door of YYY and defeat the random XXX and ZZZ attackers inside!"

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:04 am

Ohioknight -- these are all good suggestions. And we are working on them.

In fact we are working toward a goal of having a pretty good mission randomizer in the next few months. I'm just going to tease with that statement, because the coders are not done and we don't like to promise and then not deliver the goods. But we have a great plan for a mission randomizer. :)

And welcome to the SoH forums.

pahurricane

Postby pahurricane » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:40 am

Multiple gun options with maybe an option to swap between guns based on the power being used.

Return to “General Discussion”