October Outlook

Consultant

October Outlook

Postby Consultant » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:03 am

I thought our community might like to hear what the outlook is for October and what we're working on, and planning to work on. So here it is:

1. We started our first, small scale Alpha test at the end of September, as scheduled. Currently about a dozen people (none of them are devs) have unrestricted access to the Character Creation Tool (CCT) for testing. We've already had a huge amount of feedback and more is coming in. We're planning to publish a newsletter on the results during October, so everyone can see what we've learned. Also, we'll be doing more of these Alpha tests in the future, so stay tuned. We will be looking for more volunteers.

2. We're still digging out from under the mountain of work that hit us over PAX, but we're planning to release a new video showcasing the Lightning Blast powerset within the next week. With any luck we'll also be showcasing the current status of the Dark Magic Blast powerset later in the month.

3. We're going to be upgrading to Unreal Engine 4.16 shortly as part of our continual drive to stay one version behind the most current Unreal 4 engine version. We already know that 4.16 is very stable, and adds more features for us as devs.

4. We've added a couple of additional people to the team, and we'll be announcing them and adding their photos and bios to our website.

5.We're doing some interesting stuff to prepare for sharing one of our network tests next month. I can't say what, exactly, because we're not done. but it has us excited. We think you will be too.

Really, we are making a lot of progress, and much of it is the invisible kind -- tools and systems and upgrades for the development team, that allow us to push forward on our current schedule.

Pyrion

Re: October Outlook

Postby Pyrion » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:18 am

I guess that the external testers are under a kind of NDA? If yes, disregard this post. If not, please share a few things that you have learned :).

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:32 am

Yes, they have some restrictions on them. But in the big picture:

1. The CCT works really well. But we have a long list of small improvements to make.

2. We need more costumes and clothing, and more variety in the hero costumes.

3. Each tester has preferences for how to best expand the stock of things in the CCT. We're consolidating these ideas and plan to report back on specifics. When we get feedback that is general, we will take action on it if we can.

4. Specific items are being called for quite often -- big shoulders, and more masks, face and head costume pieces, for example.

5. No one has reported a failure of the CCT on any device, which is kind of heartening. The CCT seems to be very stable and very robust.

We'll have more on this later, but by and large, the Alpha is a rather stunning success. :)

Warhead

Postby Warhead » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:25 am

This all sounds great. I will say that this is one of the main things that really set this project apart from the others. Your timetable calendar and monthly updates are clear and concise and always present a clear picture of the state of the game. Myself, and the others here in the forum I'm sure, really appreciate your open communication. Not all the updates have to be flashy. It is probably those non-flashy updates which can be the more important. Keep up the great work. Look forward to seeing what the testers have been coming up with on the CCT and hope to get a chance myself sometime.

Country Strong

Postby Country Strong » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:00 am

Thanks for the updates and Oct goals, helps keeps me focused :-P

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:22 pm

Great news. Sounds as if things are going well :)

I do like the way we're being kept informed so well of progress. It really helps to increase confidence in the team and the project. There's nothing worse than deathly silence ;)
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
Super Heroes in Space, a blog about heroes, space and huge ships!

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:56 am

The up dates are grate and welcome ... hoping for a couple more of the Utube interviews ... just relaxing on the couch and watching the city Apotheoses scroll be for me on a 50 inch flat screen and here Mr. McGeever talk about what is getting developed ... well that is just ... ooooh...
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:16 am

Great news. Sounds as if things are going well :)

I do like the way we're being kept informed so well of progress. It really helps to increase confidence in the team and the project. There's nothing worse than deathly silence ;)
Indeed updates are always looked forward too. :D
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:05 am

OK, we have some good news. We're going to release a progress report on the CCT Alpha Test this morning, along with some characters created by our testers, and some early conclusions.

There is a quite a bit of effort going into this Alpha behind the scenes, including that we are getting a lot of incredible feedback. So much so that I am wondering how the dev teams at other games handle it all. In our case, we are reading it all, thinking about it, adding it to a single giant document and then parsing it for a few things:

1. Common requests, made by many testers, about the system (need more cameras, etc.).
2. Bugs that need to be fixed.
3. Items that need to be added.
4. Easy things that we should just add because it is obvious, once you hear them.

So we'll be putting out a newsletter this morning that everyone can comment on. And a press release, just so we can keep up with the media too.

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:43 am

OK, we have some good news. We're going to release a progress report on the CCT Alpha Test this morning, along with some characters created by our testers, and some early conclusions.

There is a quite a bit of effort going into this Alpha behind the scenes, including that we are getting a lot of incredible feedback. So much so that I am wondering how the dev teams at other games handle it all. In our case, we are reading it all, thinking about it, adding it to a single giant document and then parsing it for a few things:

1. Common requests, made by many testers, about the system (need more cameras, etc.).
2. Bugs that need to be fixed.
3. Items that need to be added.
4. Easy things that we should just add because it is obvious, once you hear them.

So we'll be putting out a newsletter this morning that everyone can comment on. And a press release, just so we can keep up with the media too.
Awesome!!!!!
Nuff Said
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

Parkhyeyeon

Postby Parkhyeyeon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:43 am

Oh boy! This should be good! ;)
Join SoH Discord!
Backer #9
CoH mains(Freedom server):
Angel Irene - Energy/devices Blaster
Seraph Irene - Energy/Radiation Corrupter

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:38 pm

Park, I love your new icon!

NightWolf

Postby NightWolf » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:46 pm

Great work so far guys! Keep it up!

Parkhyeyeon

Postby Parkhyeyeon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:24 am

Park, I love your new icon!
Thanks! I wonder where that came from! :P
Join SoH Discord!
Backer #9
CoH mains(Freedom server):
Angel Irene - Energy/devices Blaster
Seraph Irene - Energy/Radiation Corrupter

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:53 am

We'll be publishing the lightning blast powerset video later this morning. Stay tuned. :)

Return to “What's Cooking”