What is everyone playing right now?

GladDog

What is everyone playing right now?

Postby GladDog » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:58 am

While I am HIGHLY anticipating SoH, of course, I'm playing other things to fill the time.

Right now my list is;

ASTA
DCUO

ASTA is a fantasy more-or-less WoW clone out of Korea. It is surprisingly fun, although I have not leveled up to the 'mandatory RvR zone' level yet. It has ridiculously low system requirements for a game being played in 2017; A Pentium 4 system with a 256mb video card will play it on minimum settings. Even though the graphics are a bit dated, it still has a lot of entertainment value.

I have put a LOT of time into DCUO; it has the second most hours invested of any game I have played after CoH, and it has the most hours of any game I have every played on a console. Eulb, Penniguin and I have started playing new toons on the PC PvE server - they use the mega-server system, same as SoH will use when they release. While DCUO is fun in its own way, especially with its close tie-in to the DC universe, it is not truly the type of superhero game I want to play. CoH was the best match for gameplay to what I want out of such a game, and I am hoping that SoH will be an even closer match.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

A1fighter

Re: What is everyone playing right now?

Postby A1fighter » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:32 am

Xcom 2: I really like sci-fi games. I also like customizing dialog, text, classes, abilities, pretty much everything. Change the game into your taste is a plus.

Skyrim: Old game, can customize it to your liking. I have alts in Skyrim in the form of saved files.

Vindictus: Great combat, grapple moves and destructible environments. Gotta love suplexing an enemy on a stack of crates or through a pillar. The only mmo with grapple sets; VO is "Implementing" grappling sets in game :roll: . Sorry but they are all talk and I find it hard to take anything they say to the bank. Polar opposite of Ship of Heroes.

Marvel Heroes here and there

PSO2: Great action and customization

KUF2, great action, poor story. Shutdown in NA, but will reopen for full release late 2017.

CO: Best customization ever, no game will ever touch this, ever.

Monster Hunter Online

Mass Effect series

Sonic Generations: Huge Sonic fan after all these years

DCUO..........sometimes. This game is hard to fully immerse yourself in. They lack style variety. There are very few animal pieces, very few tech pieces, the only thing the have is ripoff iconic parts. Doing this, the players simply look like superman ripoffs.

Megaman X collection

Going to give Star Citizen a go.

broxen

Postby broxen » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:37 am

DCUO occasionally, Xcom2, Rainbow Six Siege and Stardew Valley. All on Xbox One

Less Rainbow and XCOM lately. Well, less games lately, as I've been really really busy.
-Broxen

Lazarus

Postby Lazarus » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:39 am

Right now I'm playing the Black Watchmen, which is a community spycraft/investigations game with an urban fantasy horror theme. It's not my usual thing but a friend gave me a copy when it was on sale and I actually like it.

I'm also playing The Secret World, but since it's been steadily dying since the remake was announced I'm not sure how much longer I'll be playing that.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:41 am

Xcom is pretty big eh? Mario looks to be going the X com route. Ready for the Xcom 2 expansion this August.

BEN74238

Postby BEN74238 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:36 pm

I just finished "Horizon: Zero Dawn" on PS4.
To be honest, I am not a huge fan of video game consoles, I usually do PC gaming, but this game just struck me!
ombines a beautiful, post apocalyptic setting with a massive open world. You play as Aloy, a hunter who uses an array of weaponry to combat the giant, animal-like robots that populate the world.
SO COOL! If you have PS4 I highly recommend this game!

rodkinnison

Postby rodkinnison » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:25 pm

Replayed Kingdoms of Amalur and Dragon Age, then Dragon Age 2 and just starting Inquisitions. I was in NWN persistent worlds for a long time but they kind of petered out. Play DCUO a bit but it doesn't scratch the "role playing" itch at all -- just a button masher. Do miss City of Heroes and the NWN PW community in its more active days when there was more DM'd role playing.

Penniguin

Postby Penniguin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:31 pm

We have been playing EQ2 for a few years and Archeage for about 10 months but not at all pleased with AA's 3.0 and 3.5 releases. So our days there are numbered. As GladDog said we made some toons on DCUO. Lol, and yes A1fighter, I was really surprised to of the "knock off" heroes, Superman1023, Batman989, WonderWoman786, ect. But none the less the game is scratching the super hero itch I have. But I look at DCUO like this....If I go to the market to get some soda, but they are out of Coke, I have to settle for generic until I can get the Real Thing. I will settle for DCUO until the Real Heroes can make their home on the Ship. :D
I am gonna need to stop for coffee before we head out for the battle. 8-)

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:25 am

I'm trying not play games for the most part these days - I waste far too much time on them (LoL has ~4k hours in according to Steam).

However, I do dip into:
League of Legends and Rocket League - these are my "social" games I play with RL friends with voice comms.
For solo-play I'm currently enjoying Divinity: Original Sin. I've restarted it about five/six times at this point - I'm never quite happy with my characters :P
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Spiderdad

Postby Spiderdad » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:03 pm

Currently bouncing between Destiny, Injustice 2, Diablo 3, and occasionally For Honor (though that community is the actual definition of toxic, making me play it less).

All on Ps4. Not on my Computer much these days unless its to write, sadly

Greyhawk

Postby Greyhawk » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:25 pm

I allowed myself to be conned into playing "The Secret World Legends".

Aiming with my mouse is making my wrist ache. The Q-1-2-E hotkey sequence (a godsend for WASD fans!) is driving me absolutely insane. I keep wanting to use 1-2-3-4 and dying when none of my skills fire off! :lol:

On the plus side: this is how a story MMORPG should be done! I am spending as much time reading lore and listening to friendly NPCs tell their stories as I am chasing down and destroying enemy NPCs. I'm only level 8, so I'm still in the first area, Kingsmouth, which actually functions as a sort of third stage to the tutorial progression. However, skill progression at this level is quite interesting and requires quite a bit of strategic planning, which is a good thing. Also, the enemy group has a genuine lifecycle, giving the impression of a biological entity with an innate drive to to survive and prosper. This is a huge change from the normal, "go beat up on these bad guys because we've labelled them bad guys" paradigm. There is genuine storytelling going on here and I am enjoying it greatly.

As I said, I'm still more or less in the third stage of the tutorial, so the storytelling is fairly restrictive. But the zone has hundreds of side missions and side quests, each of which tells another part of the story, so there is a freeform quality to it even though the game is still teaching me how to play.

Also on the plus side, the game runs well on my ASUS Zenbook Flip, which is designed for word processors and spreadsheets not games. I am genuinely surprised at how well it runs on this system. I guess technology is finally starting to level off.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My author page at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B000APIPZC?r ... 0_33951330

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:22 pm

I played the Secret World in beta, and did really enjoy it. I love the completely level-less and class-less character system, and the flexibility of character design.

However, the complete flexibility did sort of ruin it a bit for me - when everyone can be everything, no one is anything. That is, in CoH, if someone liked, for the sake of example, my weird Fear/Immob heavy DM/Reg scrapper build, well they'd have to roll up an alt and play it themselves. In TSW, they can just step out of combat, select the relevant powers (assuming they've learnt them) and bam, instant clone of you.

I'm simplifying a little, there's weapon skills and equipment and stuff, but it makes the point I hope. What I love about RPGs is the careful crafting and design of a character, tweaking skills and equipment to build something cool and personal. TSW didn't have that, not because you couldn't tweak and experiment with power combinations, but because it was never going to be personal.

Back to your comments though, yes, the story-telling is brilliant, the mission design is excellent and the characters fantastic.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:54 pm

I forgot about Destiny. that one is pretty good. I do not really follow the main story, just go to planets or locations and start punching stuff :lol: Actually, that is why I play Skyrim, Dragon Age or Fallout. I do not want to play the developers story, because the majority of the time, their ideals do not fit with mine.

I use the creation kits to change nearly everything about those games. More games need creation kits. I am not a main story guy. Or perhaps I dislike something, well change it, boom. Games like Xcom are pretty much the player's. We create the characters, story, weapons, armor, everything.

In this interview, Jake Solomon said something that was true and it really resonated with me. The game is not his, but the players. Are the devs going to buy millions of copies? Probably not..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI1n9HKIfG0

If anyone has never played any heavily modded games, I recommend giving them a go. it is awesome playing the game from your perspective. Like the freedom.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:42 am

Secret World would seem to be the type of game that would interest me. I like complex gameplay and difficult choices involving player builds. But I refuse to play that game, or any other game developed by Funcom.

I was an Early alpha tester for Age of Conan. I took every class In that game to at least 40 BEFORE the game released. I had written reams of information on the tester forums. When the game released, I was made a GM. I was in guild with 1400 members! But I did not realize how broken the game was above 45. No sweat, they sold almost two million boxes, and had a ton of cash, they would get it fixed. The dev team promised over and over again that they would get it fixed. Instead, after promising a lot and delivering less than nothing (they broke more than they fixed with every patch), they announced that they were stripping all extra resources from AoC and moving them to TSW. basically they decided to abandon almost two million players and almost 600,000 players that were still subscribed.

I vowed at that time that Funcom was a 4 letter word in my vocabulary, and that I would NEVER touch anything with their influence on it. And I have stayed faithful to that ever since. I invested $257 USD into that game, a collectors edition, a digital deluxe edition, and a prepaid year. And I honestly feel like Funcom slapped millions of players, including me, in the face.

In short, unless Funcom is ready to give me $257 worth of games and in-game purchases, I am absolutely not interested in any of their games, especially TSW.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:42 am

Ouch - I had no idea they'd pulled an NCsoft in that way. Yeah, that sucks, and validates my gut feeling not to trust the game would stick around.

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”