Going on 17 years

RoyalTree

Going on 17 years

Postby RoyalTree » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:32 pm

My first online game was Eve-Online and since then I have tested over 60 games and played at-launch around 50. At my peak I was averaging 14-17 hrs a day 6 days a week. While the last few years has seen me slow down quite a bit, I will always be interested in a superhero MMO. My greatest memories are attach to 3 games: Eve-Online, since it was my first, CoH/CoV "Superhero is my favorite type/genre" and SWG Pre-CU-NGE.

Odee

Re: Going on 17 years

Postby Odee » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:09 am

My first online game was Eve-Online and since then I have tested over 60 games and played at-launch around 50. At my peak I was averaging 14-17 hrs a day 6 days a week. While the last few years has seen me slow down quite a bit, I will always be interested in a superhero MMO. My greatest memories are attach to 3 games: Eve-Online, since it was my first, CoH/CoV "Superhero is my favorite type/genre" and SWG Pre-CU-NGE.
🤔 Island of Kesmai was my first MMO, and it was in ASCII characters only. Yeah, I go back to the caveman age of computers. LOL 😉💪👍
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

RoyalTree

Postby RoyalTree » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:03 pm

🤔 Island of Kesmai was my first MMO, and it was in ASCII characters only. Yeah, I go back to the caveman age of computers. LOL 😉💪👍
I go back that far too, but I lived in very rural farm country and at that time the only person I knew with internet was the local bank president who lived next door and his was satellite and very expensive for moderate dialup.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:36 am

Welcome aboard! My first 'real' MMO was "The realm Online." That's going back a bit as well though not as far as your text based game. I never really got into those.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Odee

Postby Odee » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:48 am

I go back that far too, but I lived in very rural farm country and at that time the only person I knew with internet was the local bank president who lived next door and his was satellite and very expensive for moderate dialup.
If I had it to do all over again, I'd have stayed with farming and horses ;) :)
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Fleurrose

Postby Fleurrose » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:24 pm

Welcome aboard! My first 'real' MMO was "The realm Online." That's going back a bit as well though not as far as your text based game. I never really got into those.
audacity temp mail origin
It's was my first mmo too haha :lol:
Last edited by Fleurrose on Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:58 pm

My first was City of Heroes. I tried to get into Everquest after it launched, but my computer of the time was too weak...

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:32 pm

My first MMORPG was City of Heroes. I swore I would NEVER play an MMORPG, after EverQuest stole virtually my entire Tribes clan. But after I tried CoH (it was superheroes, damnit, superheroes!) I realized I was really missing out and tried quite a few games of this genre.

But superhero games are where my heart is at, and I can't wait for the Ship to sail!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:52 pm

lol, My first MMO was also city of heroes. prior to that I played console games one person no internet involved. I think I picked up CoH in april / May of 2004 really excited to play, then got it home and read the box... I hated the idea that I would be online playing with others. because even back then trolls were everywhere.. and I could just imagine what it would be like to play an MMO online. so I put off installing for a few months until my desire to be a superhero outweighed my aversion of being online.

sitting back now and having played a dozen mmo's I will say that while we had our trolls our community for the most part was excellent. far better than any other I have played.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:00 pm

I remember the days of losing sleep and constantly having red eyes just so I could play CoH as much as possible.

Incredibly unhealthy but I'd give almost anything to relive them and do it all over again.
Time to let Ol' Painless out of the bag.

olepi

Postby olepi » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:12 am

I was playing Morrowind and Baldur's Gate when Everquest came out in 1999, but I didn't want to play online. DAOC came out right after that and I took the plunge to online games. DAOC was my first MMO. I still remember getting my first 50 in DOAC, a Minstrel. And the RvR in DAOC has never been topped in my gaming.

After about 3 years, CoH and Ryzom came out in 2004, and I started playing both of them. I loved CoH's quick pace and graphics, and Ryzom's crafting and immersive world. I never did play WoW.

I do remember the text-based Adventure game we had on the ARPANET Unix system in 1977. I was the sysadmin and had the source code.
2019: 42 years on the Net.

Return to “Introductions”