Go to Win10 right away!

GladDog

Go to Win10 right away!

Postby GladDog » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:12 pm

On January 22 2020 Microsoft ends all support for Win7. Not a big deal you say, isn't XP doing fine even though support ended 5 years ago?

XP, Vista and 7 are all built using the same kernel, the same engine, so to speak. Even though they are not actively supporting XP, more than half of the patches that are made for 7 don't blow XP up, so they release them in an unsupported form for XP. Well over 2/3rds of the patches work in Vista. Combine that with a good antivirus program and you are OK, more or less.

Win8 and Win10 are built on a COMPLETELY different kernel, or engine. Right now the failure rate for Win10 patches on Win7 is over 90%. Virtually all of them fail on XP. What that means is that a security vulnerability found in Win7 won't be fixed. A similar vulnerability in Win10 will be fixed, but the chances are less than 1 in 10 that this patch will actually work in Win7 without causing an OS failure. With no support those vulnerabilities are going to pile up.

So about a month or so after support for Win7 ends, everyone not using Win8 or Win10 is going to be helpless before the hackers. Antivirus programs do not fix vulnerabilities in OS's, they just react to viruses and worms when and if they find them. Without Microsoft closing the holes in the OS's, AV companies are going to get further and further behind with stopping the hackers.

It's like having a skilled brick mason trying to stop a leak in a dam. He is trained to fix and style small bits one at a time. What is needed is a stone mason, one that is used to working with large breaks. Unfortunately, all of the stone masons are working on other things. So, the leak will take forever to fix, and long before that it will be too late. That brick mason will be pulled this way and that to stop the flow, but he does not have the tools or expertise for it.

Bottom line; do yourself a favor and switch to Win10 right away. Win10 is way more secure and a lot more versatile than Win7 ever was. Get used to it, and if there are concerns you can get them addressed long before the flood occurs on Jan 22 2020, when you may have to wait days for a call back from a Microsoft tech..

I'm bringing this up because I work IT in a place with TONS of scientists. Many of them do not want to change, and are convinced that somehow they will be the 'exception'. They are not. The company we work for will shut down all of their business related internet access on Jan 22 if they have refused to switch. Many of them have managed to acquire a 'secret' laptop that they think they can use after Jan 22 with no one being the wiser. They are wrong, we know they have 2 or 3 or even more PCs in their name. Those old laptops won't get on the intranet or internet - they will be locked out. And if they keep trying, they will get locked out for good. Too much incredible data is at risk.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Apparition

Re: Go to Win10 right away!

Postby Apparition » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:37 am

With the ability to skip every other feature update in Windows 10's 1903 version, I'm tempted to finally upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro. The forced feature updates every six months were one of the two major issues I had with Windows 10. Feature updates every year instead is much more manageable. I may wait for 1909 in October though as that is supposed to be mostly a bug fix release with very few new features.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:20 am

I keep meaning to, but never quite seem to get around to it... :P

I'm going to miss the old win7 interface, I've absolutely loathed using the newer one introduced with win8. *sigh*

Anyone know if you can still use an alternate windows frontend? I imagine not, but you never know. Ah the good ol' litestep days :)

Least I have my linux laptop when I need a decent UI.... :D
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:53 pm

The interface for Win10 is much, much different from Win8. I was an alpha tester for Win8, and we told them over and over again to NOT release with that interface. The OS was great, but the GUI was HORRID. I worked with it for almost a year in alpha and beta and never did quite understand it. In fact, I was so vocal about my hate for the Win8 interface that I figured that I would never see another alpha or beta invite to OS's ever again. But, 4 days after Win 8.1 released, I was invited to the Win10 alpha. I guess they figured out that I (along with about 10,000 other testers) was right!

There are settings in Win10 that allow you to install the Win7 interface, or even the WinXP interface. I don't see why you would want to though. The Win10 interface is very refined and easy to adjust to.

Odee

Postby Odee » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:20 pm

Just another scary tech story GladDog. Hackers can't hack, what they can't see, if you aren't hooked to the net. Even on VPN's that Anti-Virus houses have, and still update their engines to protect Win7 and up.
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Odee

Postby Odee » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:27 pm

Just another scary tech story GladDog. Hackers can't hack, what they can't see, if you aren't hooked to the net. Even on VPN's that Anti-Virus houses have, and still update their engines to protect Win7 and up.
In other news: City of Titans released their Supporter Beta CC tonight.
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

olepi

Postby olepi » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:01 pm

The way we handle this is to make sure no real data is ever on anyone's laptop. At work, all of the data and programs we use are not on the laptop, they are on server machines. The laptop is only used to VPN in to the servers and for display and input purposes. We do not keep any valuable data on laptops.

Intel does the same thing. I actually had to go to laptop class when doing some work for Intel. Too many cases of people forgetting their laptop, or losing it. No valuable data is stored on the laptop.

At home, I make sure that everything on my home PC is replaceable. If my machine caught on fire and was destroyed, or locked out with a virus, etc, I wouldn't really care.

Anytime I want to browse the web, I fire up a virtual Linux machine to do it.

And I second GladDog's advice. It is best for you, and anyone you communicate with, to keep on the latest best version, and today that is Windows 10.
2019: 42 years on the Net.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:19 pm

The dilemma is that once MS quits supporting Win7, AV makers will one-by-one quit supporting 7. Why? Because they are going to get an inordinate amount of the blame when Win 7 people start getting hacked on a regular basis.

That said, you are correct. If you don't get on the net, you should be safe. But I would bet that just about everyone perusing this site spends way too much time on the internet, me included. So the switch to 10 does make sense. And especially doing it a little early. Everyone that waits until Jan 22 2020 to switch will be fighting with hundreds of millions, if not billions, of people looking for tech support from Microsoft. MS will prepare as well as they can, but we are still talking about hundreds of millions of people...

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”