The ONLY thing I care about.

SweetSugar

The ONLY thing I care about.

Postby SweetSugar » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:50 pm

...is the projected launch date. I can't be a supporter in advance, but I will happily sign up once it's out. The projected launch date should be at the top of every page - even if you have to change it 50 times before the actual date comes.

Otherwise we wait 3 months, get a progress video about re-tiling the landscape, and think to ourselves: This is gonna be 25 more years.

Blaze Rocker

Re: The ONLY thing I care about.

Postby Blaze Rocker » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:16 pm

Or they keep setting launch dates and keep running into issues they need to address/fix/modify and they keep pushing the date back each time, thus causing us to think "When are they ever gonna stop with the work and just launch this thing? This is gonna take 25 more years. They'll never launch like this." Launch dates are meaningless if they can't get to a satisfactory Launch-State with which to actually launch, and continuously pushing back launch dates reeks of either unexpected trouble (money, equipment, drama) or a notable lack of skill, experience or direction and it turns people off.

How are 'Valiance Online' and 'City of Titans' coming along? I haven't heard anything out of them in a long time. I wonder if those studios are having any of those troubles I just mentioned.
Stop the spread of fake news. Don't share anything produced by CNN.

SweetSugar

Postby SweetSugar » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:41 pm

I agree, but without a launch date and just getting an occasional video that shows some minor feature they worked on, like

07/04/19 Auction House 6 days
06/28/19 Superspeed 32 days
05/27/19 Levelling/Augments 30 days
04/27/19 Sword Blossom 8 days
04/19/19 UI 18 days
04/01/19 City Improvements 60 days

It's a seemingly endless list of little tasks, and without ANY IDEA when they are even targeting for a release, I can imagine it becoming:

3/27/2099 tripping on shoelaces attack
4/12/2099 dimples on youthful superheroes
5/9/2099 improving footstep dust clouds on grassy surfaces

All I really want to know is when they are shooting for. This page: https://www.shipofheroes.com/schedule-to-release/ gave me hope but it has not been updated in FOREVER, and ENDS 6 months ago.

Look. I know this is an active project, they are clearly working on stuff, and I know ALL SOFTWARE PROJECTS release well after their projected release dates. There's always SOMETHING (like when the red cross sued video games for using the red cross on health packs) that makes everything take longer.

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:22 pm

You're right. It is a seemingly endless list of tasks. Sometimes those tasks take longer than expected. Sometimes those tasks mount so high that a projected release date must be pushed back. BOOM! A release date is officially pushed back. (refer to my previous post)

This time last year there were some people expecting SoH would be able to go into open beta phase by the beginning of this year. That was months ago and now it's looking to be the first of next year or very late 2019 before that happens.

This is not a AAA studio, crap happens and crap is going to happen. Frankly, I'd prefer the dev team not to be announcing release dates that they have no idea whether or not they can reasonably reach. I've waited through 6+ years of CoH withdrawal for a successor game and I've come to discover that I can wait just a little bit longer if that's what it takes to get it and get it in at least as good a shape as CoH was when it launched.

Chances are, nothing I've said will affect you. So, you just go right on bringing up setting launch dates. When they finally set one you can see if and when, and why, they set it back . . . and then probably watch as it happens again . . . and then start to wonder if it was ever worth caring about to begin with.
Stop the spread of fake news. Don't share anything produced by CNN.

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:23 am

This discussion is held in nearly every kickstarter project today. We all want to know the final release date but it`s too early to tell even for the devs.

As a backer you need patience and trust.
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:12 am

SweetSugar, I'd like to offer a few thoughts about the launch date. I do not know if this will help you or not.

First, sometimes we get people (not you) asking why we don't post the launch date, with the apparent belief that we know the launch date with absolute certainty, but we're just withholding it for ... well, reasons.

No we do not know the launch date with certainty. And you are right, the schedule to complete is out of date.

So let's talk about that.

Here's what we are trying to do, and also the dates associated with it:

1. We're trying to enable $50 and up donors to join a CCT Beta, and we'd like to pull this off in late August. From where I sit right now, I can see this slipping into September, but we will definitely get this done. Some activities are on the critical path, and several of them have piled up on a single dev -- and we cannot take those activities from him because he is our expert. Still, this is going to be a big deal, because the participants in the CCT Beta will be able to do the following:

A. Pick one character name and hold onto it for the game.
B. Create a character using what we think is the best character creator in any MMO today.
C. Take their time -- the Beta will likely last for a week or two.
D. Run around Apotheosis City and see the current city build for themselves.
E. Assuming that we do not find some horrible flaw in the CCT during the Beta, we hope that the participants will be able to use their characters in an invasion test (Combat Beta) later in 2019.

2. Which pretty much means we plan to have an invasion test or combat Beta later in 2019. Which month, you ask? That depends on how the CCT Beta goes. Again, we expect things to work very, very well. They worked well for us when we were testing this week, as a single player. But sadly, in the history of game devleopment, disasters have often followed successful internal testing. So we are cautious about overpromising. There is far too much overpromising going on in game development already.

3. After the invasion test, in early 2020, we want to set up a series of live Beta tests of the whole game, beginning with mission testing. And we need to establish (by talking to the community) how many missions we need to have before we should launch. We're told COH had approximately 380 mission at launch. That's a lot of content -- far more, in fact, then most games are launched with today.

So those are the highlights for perhaps the next 6-8 months of development. Could we launch next summer? Yes, if everything goes really well. Or at the end of 2020 if something goes wrong, or we lose key people, or the community wants something changed and we think we can do it...

But in the meantime we plan to let the community do a lot with SoH. Character creation, invasion testing, followed by mission testing...and then launch when we we are sure how much minimum content we need to have. You could be playing/system testing, and giving feedback for development, on and off for a lot of the next 8 months.

Hopefully that addresses your question, even if it does not answer it directly.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:22 am

Well said! need an MMO article on this one. Suzie Ford I'm looking at you.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:24 pm

Sadly, Suzie Ford is stepping down from MMORPG.com to work on another project with Bill Murphy. Both of them are leaving at the end of the month.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:04 pm

Sorry to hear that I liked her articles

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:06 am

Suzie and Bill are leaving? Oh no! They're great.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:40 pm

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:53 am

Here's the current update (monday morning, eastern US time).

We just finished some testing on the FPS for the CCT Beta map of Apotheosis City, and it looks pretty good. As always, we have a few spots with lower FPS that we're looking at. And we added emissive windows to the City Hall and to a large building in the Science Park so it is easier to run around the city at night. And we're testing withcars and civilians all over the city. It looks really good, at least to us.

We're working on a "beauty pass" for the characters. Females are done and males are bieng worked on. One thing we decided to add was a slider for raising the position of the eyebrows a bit. This makes a difference in how the face looks -- intent or happy or surprised -- so we thought players would want to have this option.

We have a good deal of work to do but we're on track, at least right now, for a late-August CCT Beta. We're also working on a few surprises for the Beta, in terms of exploring the city. :)

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:19 pm

Ooooh baby! I can't wait!

Arterius

Postby Arterius » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:54 pm

Here's the current update (monday morning, eastern US time).

We just finished some testing on the FPS for the CCT Beta map of Apotheosis City, and it looks pretty good. As always, we have a few spots with lower FPS that we're looking at. And we added emissive windows to the City Hall and to a large building in the Science Park so it is easier to run around the city at night. And we're testing withcars and civilians all over the city. It looks really good, at least to us.

We're working on a "beauty pass" for the characters. Females are done and males are bieng worked on. One thing we decided to add was a slider for raising the position of the eyebrows a bit. This makes a difference in how the face looks -- intent or happy or surprised -- so we thought players would want to have this option.

We have a good deal of work to do but we're on track, at least right now, for a late-August CCT Beta. We're also working on a few surprises for the Beta, in terms of exploring the city. :)
Can't wait how much did you have to pledge to test this feature?

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:59 pm

I believe you need to be “stylish” Allowing you to make and save both a character and a name for when the game goes live.

Return to “General Discussion”