All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Turtlesandwich

Re: We have SS!!!

Postby Turtlesandwich » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:31 pm

It looks very good, didn't see what happens with multiple jumps. Does the landing animation get cut if you immediately take off again?

And hi Golden.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:23 pm

it looked like it did to me. so I'm thinking the jump animation supersedes the landing animation when you do multiple jumps.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:00 pm

I think it does get cut off.

But it may not matter quite so much since you jump much farther if you run a tiny bit first, building momentum.

But perhaps we should ask, how do you want it to operate? :)

brando81373

Postby brando81373 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:06 pm

The super speed animation looks great, and the city is really looking awesome!

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:21 pm

It's looking great. Really good looking characters now and they're moving nicely as well. And the city is looking fantastic. Course now I want to get to that hazard zone!

Does the landing animation freeze you in place till it completes or does moving cancel it? It'd be nice if the transfer between landing and continuing on with superspeed was seamless. In the video, every time Snow Drift landed, she was standing still so we can't tell.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

nekollx

Postby nekollx » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:33 pm

looks good but i've been spoiled by DCUO where super speed let you run up walls. Don't suppose wall running is in the docket as a extension or separate power is it?

Odee

Postby Odee » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:56 pm

And it looks great! Love the sit move too. It looks so smooth and natural. :D :D :D
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Tomblady

Postby Tomblady » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:05 am

Please do not combine Superjump with Superspeed or let us at least have both separately if we want to.

I love Superjump, but I get lasting vertigo problems when I use a Superspeed like ability in game.

But the animations of SS look great.
Only the SJ flight animation looks still a bit stiff to me.

Your first cave in the hazard zone look promising.

Keep up the great work.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:00 am

Thus far on the poll, there is a strong preference for separating superspeed and superjump.

Is this how the community feels?

Major Victory

Postby Major Victory » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:05 am

Having extra leaping distance due to momentum of superspeed is good but having a separate super-jumping power with all the extra vertical and diagonal distances is even better. The Hulk, Spider-man, The Tick all have super-jumping but no superspeed. Heck, Superman and the original Captain Marvel both started out with only super-jumping ability.

Let's see, other superjumping folks would be: The Bouncer [a little known 40s hero], Bouncing Boy of the LSH [alright, that's superbouncing but if you do a special animation, it could be superjumping], The Beast from the X-Men, every ninja in Naruto and most other ninja movies and manga, Aquaman, and Power Girl was originally introduced as having only superjumping. There are probably others that I can't think of but other folks will.

And having the ability to run up and down buildings and across water is what makes superspeed special. I would also add my vote in to having that being part of superspeed.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:18 am

Personally, I like the combined power. SS has a lot of limitations, which is why it saw limited use in CoH, which is the game SoH is based on. DCUO used an entirely different approach to solve these limitations, i.e. running up walls. But combining SS and SJ solves limits with both powers.

There is another travel power to consider, and that is DCUO's Acrobatics. My gosh, this travel method is fun. It is kind of a combination of all of these travel powers, but with parkour and grappling hooks! Even if you hate the overall game, making a DCUO character with Acrobatics will keep you coming back, just for the fun of going someplace.

Having the SS/ Sj combo, along with some form of Acrobatics would be better IMO, and help set this game apart from its spiritual predecessor.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Meridian

Postby Meridian » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:00 pm

Although SS is awesome in COX because it is so fast, it's super annoying when it's your only travel power.

Try climbing stairs with it, especially fire escapes...it's impossible. When CoX included click-to-move I thought this would solve it, but their pathing was only A to B (unlike the mobs).
For example getting to rooftops to find Clockwork or Circle of Thorns.

Also some zones where you get stuck at the bottom of a platform or elevated highway (etc) and can't get back up except by running a half mile out of the way (each way)...

I'd love to see something implemented that makes SS viable. Pathfinding would be fine with me. I don't mind running a half mile out of my way sometimes, but if it could be done hands-free then I could do something else with that time. Flight is the ultimate auto-pilot, and I'm not trying to take that away from it. But SS was sometimes very frustrating and I don't think that should be part of any power/set.

Or on stairs, implement a "lip" that prevents you from falling off the edge of stairs (this would actually help everyone, not just SS). SS in CoX was kind of springy so you had a tendency to bounce over the edge even though you weren't hitting the Jump key.

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:51 am

Personally, I like the combined power. SS has a lot of limitations, which is why it saw limited use in CoH, which is the game SoH is based on. DCUO used an entirely different approach to solve these limitations, i.e. running up walls. But combining SS and SJ solves limits with both powers.
Maybe SOH should copy the travel power system of CO then? :|
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

Return to “Announcements”