CoH Homecoming server costs

olepi

CoH Homecoming server costs

Postby olepi » Wed May 08, 2019 9:47 am

This was posted yesterday on the Homecoming City of Heroes website. https://score.savecoh.com/index.php/topic,1361.0.html

They are now taking donations:
---
Going forwards, our plan is to move to a less expensive, long-term hosting solution with OVH. The key reason this solution is less expensive is because it is significantly less flexible

Our ongoing costs will be roughly as follows:

Auth Server
1x A1 @ $102.99
Shard Database Servers
5x A1 @ $102.99 each, $514.95 total
Central Database
1x A3 @ 137.99
Mapservers
6x A5 @ $354.99 each, $2129.94 total
Services Box
1x A1 @ $102.99

For a total of: $2,988.86 per month before factoring software licenses. Head on over to https://www.ovh.com/world/dedicated-ser ... nce/prices for more information on OVH’s pricing.
2019: 42 years on the Net.

GladDog

Re: CoH Homecoming server costs

Postby GladDog » Wed May 08, 2019 10:29 am

I want to say that this is not a corporation you are dealing with. It is not an LLC or such. I would be very hesitant to hand over credit card or bank info to someone that is untraceable. If they want your money and you are willing to give it, I would wait until they either have a Patreon or PayPal account set up. That way your credit card numbers are going to a financial institution that is VERY interested in taking the high ground and won't be a risk to your financial future.

I'm not saying the homecoming guys are all dishonest, but all it takes in one person (and there are a lot of people involved in that project) who gets a little lust in his eyes to cause huge problems. And because they are not a traceable corporation, if you lose, you lose.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

olepi

Postby olepi » Wed May 08, 2019 10:39 am

They say they are setting up an LLC.

I agree, though. These are unauthorized servers, and you could easily lose all your characters, and money, in an instant.

Posted just as information on the costs of servers.

Apparition

Postby Apparition » Wed May 08, 2019 12:45 pm

I want to say that this is not a corporation you are dealing with. It is not an LLC or such. I would be very hesitant to hand over credit card or bank info to someone that is untraceable. If they want your money and you are willing to give it, I would wait until they either have a Patreon or PayPal account set up. That way your credit card numbers are going to a financial institution that is VERY interested in taking the high ground and won't be a risk to your financial future.

I'm not saying the homecoming guys are all dishonest, but all it takes in one person (and there are a lot of people involved in that project) who gets a little lust in his eyes to cause huge problems. And because they are not a traceable corporation, if you lose, you lose.
They accepted donations via PayPal last night, no direct credit card information was given. I donated last night, but as you rightfully state, it is still very much "Donator beware."

Cheesy

Postby Cheesy » Fri May 17, 2019 10:24 am

Donations maxed out in 20 minutes. I never got the chance to donate through PayPal. But will next time I'd I'm quick enough!
Unoriginal since 2005 (coh issue 5)...

Cheesy from Defiant.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sat May 18, 2019 7:03 am

I have not heard of anything from NC Soft on this. Since NC Soft is known to have reacted to players and not just devs, of another of their closed games on a private server, it would be good to be cautious.

Donors could be seen to be funding the illegal use of their IP. You'll notice that Massively is also warning about this.

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Sat May 18, 2019 3:49 pm

Consultant
I have not heard of anything from NC Soft on this. Since NC Soft is known to have reacted to players and not just devs, of another of their closed games on a private server, it would be good to be cautious.

Donors could be seen to be funding the illegal use of their IP. You'll notice that Massively is also warning about this.
NCsoft has been surprisingly quiet on this. Perhaps even disturbingly quiet. What's it been now since news of this finally broke, nearly two months?

From where I'm sitting I can only see two possible reasons for this. The first is that they're gathering information for a case or multiple cases and when they're ready they will come down on everyone full force. The second is that they don't plan on doing anything about it. I would say this is possibly because the code itself is outdated to the point of near obsolescence so it's not worth the trouble of going into litigation over, but I think it's something more than that.
Maybe five years back I read that NCsoft had been valuing CoH considerably higher than it was actually worth. I think this was for insurance purposes. This could have been a reason why all attempts to buy the game and property from them failed. NCsoft didn't want anyone looking too closely at their records. It could have been that they shut the game down because they were engaging in insurance fraud and shutting it all down and sweeping it under the rug was the cleanest out they had available to them. If this is the case then they've got a can of worms that they don't want opened and NCsoft will do whatever it takes to keep it closed for the foreseeable future.

I'd say we should give it one more month. If NCsoft continues to do nothing or they suddenly decide to be all friendly and accommodating with all the people they pissed off when they shut down the game back in 2012 then my money is on them being the dishonorable company that we all thought they were and the old girl is free to play for everyone from that point forward. We'll just have to wait and see.
I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

olepi

Postby olepi » Mon May 20, 2019 10:40 am

Maybe NCSoft is waiting to see how big this will get.

It may be that they don't care about it, if it stays small like it is. Even at it's peak, I think CoH had maybe 250,000 subscribers. That's small potatoes, especially these days. The Homecoming servers are around 15,000 I think. Maybe NCSoft just doesn't care.

Or maybe they'll just let it be run by the Homecoming people, and skim profit off the top. Although, with those low numbers, even that might not be worth the cost of doing it.

Itlandm

Postby Itlandm » Mon May 20, 2019 11:11 am

Heh. When I saw the headline here, I thought you were going to compare it to SoH hosting cost and how far the plans have come for that. Is that in some other thread that I have overlooked? I know I read fairly long ago that they were planning to use cloud hosting. It seems to be buyers market now, if you can transfer as easily as the Homecoming team has done with their player base in the tens of thousands.

Return to “General Discussion”