Superspeed

AxerJ

Re: Superspeed

Postby AxerJ » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:20 am

Agreed with gemini!

Hadder

Postby Hadder » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:10 pm

Yes, for FX there are five options: fire, ice, darkness, lightning, and nothing at all. Each character can choose one of these.

We actually discovered something while coding superspeed that we are grappling with. When a character is running along and then jumps, the jump can be extremely powerful. Or not. We can code the time in the air, more or less. So when we show the video, we'll be showing some jumps from rooftop to rooftop. This is superspeed without an explicit power of superjump.

What we're going to do is to let the community weigh in. Is this the way it should be? Should superjump be coded separately? Should the combination of the two be required to jump from rooftop to rooftop?

Once you see it, you'll have have clearer idea of what I'm trying to convey.
Superjump should be separate for those without superspeed but superjump should go hand in hand with speed.

Maybe a superspeed superjump, there should be a distance threshold to achieve to make the jump? Whereas superjump as a skill would let you jump from stationary position but with superspeed you can't superjump from standing still?

Also. An idea? Can you run up sides of buildings with superspeed? Also, can you run along the sides of buildings with super speed and jump from building to building on their side. See where I'm going with this? :lol:
Hadder

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:47 pm

As an update on superspeed, we decided to polish the animations a bit more. Just a bit. then we found something that was not quite right and we coded a change for it. And we decided the superspeed should look a bit different for the female character. Just a small change. Then our FX guy said that since we are taking a couple of days on the animations, he wanted to make a few changes on the FX. Just a couple.

Well since we're changing the FX, the anomators sort felt a challenge. They would step up as well. Then our lead coder got into it, helping them. Then he was helping the FX lead.

It's sort of funny if you are sitting in my seat. I just wanted a couple of little things polished...

Now it is two weeks later. In the next three days we're hoping to re-install the completely revamped set of superspeed FX. And we're looking at changes to our master animation blueprint. Everyone wants it to be great, not just completed.

On a related note, physics engines don't like the idea of running up the sides of buildings. Superspeed jumping from one to another, now that is really cool. And I'm a flight guy myself, but I know cool when I see it.

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:05 am

Awesome, Consultant - sounds like greatness at work!

Itlandm

Postby Itlandm » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:19 am

On the other hand, this is why alphas take three years. But as long as I can celebrate the holidays in Apotheosis City, I am not complaining.

Return to “What's Cooking”