UI and Related

Consultant

UI and Related

Postby Consultant » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:16 am

In the normal course of developement I see a lot of stuff that our team has worked on. Of course everyone knows that we upgraded to 4.21.2 recently. It occurred to me to go back and check on the UI and make sure it is working as planned since engine upgrades sometimes break things in the UI. As I was reaching out, one of our coders sent me his notes on some recent improvements for resizing the UI pieces (Infusions tray, power tray, chat box, etc.). He has a cool slider installed that allows resizing to be done easily by a player.

That caused me to wonder if we have ever gotten a feature (that we definitely want to have working at launch) that will allow ranged damage dealers and healers (for example) to target through another player, like the tank. And I found out that we have this on the schedule for this week. I believe we have a follow feature working as well, and an ability to pick one power and put it on auto fire.

Then I was asking about a feature that I see on some games which allows a player to adjust the volume of the main classes of sounds, like background music, foosteps, combat, etc., up or down. We have that coded already.

Really, I think we're getting to the point of having a pretty good UI, which should allow a player to get things set up the way he/she wants to have them.

Golden Ace

Re: UI and Related

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:00 am

👍🏻
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Parabola

Postby Parabola » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:35 am

Target through, follow and auto fire. That's my dual boxing wishlist taken care of :).

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:02 pm

Excellent to hear things are going well on the UI front. An obvious question from me, since the obvious sometimes gets overlooked: Sliders are generally found in options for scaling the size of all windows at once; will we also be able to resize individual windows? For example, I left most windows in CoH at default, but had my map window about 60% size and always on, undocked.

gemini

Postby gemini » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:29 pm

As a control/support player - target-through/target-of-target is my favorite part of this post

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:16 am

From our lead coder, this morning:

"Derived targeting is now working. If you target an enemy who is attacking and ally and use a buffing spell it will buff the ally who the enemy is attacking. And if you target a friend who is attacking an enemy the same will also happen."

Right now the slider is for all UI elements at once. It is complex to allow individual UI elements to be resized by themselves, but we are looking at that issue this week.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:44 am

From our lead coder, this morning:

"Derived targeting is now working. If you target an enemy who is attacking and ally and use a buffing spell it will buff the ally who the enemy is attacking. And if you target a friend who is attacking an enemy the same will also happen."

Right now the slider is for all UI elements at once. It is complex to allow individual UI elements to be resized by themselves, but we are looking at that issue this week.
Awesome news.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Kelvinkole

Postby Kelvinkole » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:48 am

All good stuff here. Along with resizing, any word on collapsible trays? It's nice to be able to hide those infusions sometimes, or hide power trays that contain things you don't use all the time; Keeps your view a bit less crowded.

POSSUMNUTS

Postby POSSUMNUTS » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:51 pm

The coder is AMAZING.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:16 am

OK, so we have a draft newsletter just showing some of the recent UI work. It's being reviewed now.

We know that UI generates a lot of interest -- and that is completely rational. All of the time a player spends in-game, he or she is normally seeing the UI. It matters.

Over a year ago we solicited feedback from the community regarding what the UI should look like, and we've been implementing that feedback ever since. It's time for a small update, which we hope to publish this weekend.

We also just got a new look at the revised superspeed animations, and we're polishing a bit more. But it is underway.

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:47 am

Awesome update!

Inkaris

Postby Inkaris » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:48 am

Thanks for this update! :D

brando81373

Postby brando81373 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:15 pm

Thanks for the update, the UI does look like the best in the Galaxy!

gemini

Postby gemini » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:56 pm

UI looking great

Odee

Postby Odee » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:17 pm

The video loops showing the rearranging and resizing of the UI is mouth watering to the point of Niagara Falls droolery!
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Return to “What's Cooking”