Planning Game Mechanics for Missions

Consultant

Planning Game Mechanics for Missions

Postby Consultant » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:41 am

We are working on the code for missions, and this reflects our plan for the mechanics of how missions should work. I thought that perhaps we should start describing what we have in mind so that all of you can weigh in before we settle on this approach. Each of these factors is more less independent from the others.

First we still plan to let characters set their difficulty level for most missions, so if you are level 20 you should be able to dial the level of the mission up or down and get level 21, or level 19 enemies to fight. And perhaps a few more levels as well.

Next we also intend to allow characters to affect (perhaps with a slider) the composition of enemy mobs. So you want more trash mobs? Fine by us. More lieutenants, bosses and maybe an Arch-Villain? Again fine by us.

Enemies need to scale to the size of the hero team, so a mission that has a solo hero obviously needs to spawn fewer enemies and lower level enemies than the same mission being played by a team of 10 heroes.

These factors do all interact, and we are planning this out right now, in detail. And some mission types begin at higher levels of difficulty than others. So any given mission can deliver a totally different player experience, depending upon how the player makes his selections and forms his team (or does not form a team).

GladDog

Re: Planning Game Mechanics for Missions

Postby GladDog » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:25 am

Yep. Looks good to me!

If I could make a suggestion; this is something that could probably be added later, so no rush on deciding yes or no! At the end of some random missions, the leader has the opportunity to choose a timed mission arc. Maybe there would be 10-20 mission arc stories that would play with randomly generated missions. Of course, the bad guys would be predetermined, The big deal about these arcs is that they give a task force level reward, so they are desirable, especially by casual players! These arcs are on a timer, so the team has to be in agreement to do them. There would be no penalty if you don't choose to do the extra arc, but if you choose to do it and then quit before the arc is finished, you have to deal with a randomly generated debuff that lasts for an hour.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:52 am

speaking of missions. could we have a tracker to show us how many and which missions we have completed? something similar to the way badges are tracked. that way we can go back and see that we missed the 'Robot Menace' mission(s) and could go back and do them. or see that we are 90% done with the "Ambassador's Challenge".

also ambushes. please put ambushes on that slider. I love ambushes.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Novaterian

Postby Novaterian » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:29 pm

I absolutely love this idea! And I agree with the ambushes. Anything that would make players stay on their toes would be great. Maybe even throw in some bombs to diffuse or other objectives the team has to handle. But it does makes me wonder how many will be allowed to be in a group? 5 or 8
I Shall shed my light over dark evil.
For the dark things cannot stand the light.
The light of the Green Lantern

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:45 pm

Can we spawn enemies for higher than the maximum team size? So if the game allows teams of 10, can we spawn enemies as if there were 12 of us?

And for GA: are you talking about in-mission ambushes (like the quantum rush at the end of the first ITF mission), or open-world ambushes (like the Kronoss Titan on the second to last mission of Operation: World Wide Red)?

For open world ambushes, can we get a warning of some kind? Many of the ambushes spawned by high level teams would get left behind simply because the team wouldn't realize they were there; which caused some headaches for lower level players, especially if it was in a low-level zone like Kings Row.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:03 pm

both. I loved the open world ones the most though because they caught you off guard. and yes I know it was a pain in the butt when a level 50 ambush spawned in kings row or the hollows. however. I saw my first Devouring Earth as a low level because of an ambush while I was in kings row (trust me I avoided it). but seeing it just made me want to level all the more.

and as a level 50 I was helping a low level in the hollows and my level 50 Malta ambush surprised me after we exited the mission. I had a Zeus Titan in it. you should have seen the comments in broadcast. most were curious what it was. Yes it brings an added risk to the low levels. but unless they attacked them they generally left them alone and went after the target. even if they didn't we are heroes. we adapt, and we overcome or at least we die honorably against overwhelming odds.

if you got a warning it wouldn't be an ambush.

Von

Postby Von » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:15 pm

I like all the ideas. I agree w/ GA on ambushes. Even if the hero had a warning, they might feel overwhelmed at that moment and bravely run away just like Sir Robin.
You can run, but you'll just die tired.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:44 pm

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:04 am

OK, first one answer, then more. :)

Everyone gets a mission diary that tells you what missions you personally have right now, and the next location where something should happen (like you going through a door or clicking a glowie) shows on the mission map. It always makes me a little nervous to write something like that sentence. It was true last week. Is something broken right now? Not that I know of. I have a powerful desire to not overpromise anything. But we have that feature already coded.

As for having a measure like "90% done" with a particular mission, we are not coding that right now. It's kind of hard to say when 90% done might occur. We're going to have to think about that some more. And a tracker that tells youthat you missed some missions? Hmmm, I'm thinking this could be hard. I read that at the end, COH had 6,000+ missions and the WOW has more than 50,000 missions... that would be some tracker.

Also, can you spawn more enemies, so it's crowded with 12 players worth of enemies for a ten man team? Yes.

Ambushes? In missions, we like this idea. When people ask for ambushes what we hear is a larger request for unpredictable enemy attacks, on occasion. There are several facets to this, or at least related to this. First, you know how the big boss is always in the same spot on the map every time you do the mission? Well, don't count on it. Secondly, it is much cheaper (as in FPS, or server load) to have mobs standing around than to have them walking around. But in an instanced mission, we think we can afford to have them walking around too. That makes it more dangerous and less predictable. Remember the Fire Farm in COH? Big mobs walking around would join a fight unexpectedly.

Another thing we like is the idea that in some situations, you go into a big room full of mobs, and attacking the first mob might activate the second mob a few seconds later, and so on. Can your team be overwhelmed by eight mobs? Oh yes. Can you work around this in multiple ways? We think you can...you might want to have some crafted stuff, like grenades and temporary AOE attack tools to raise your damage for a short time... just sayin'

Another element of unpredictability (and this is NOT coded yet, but it is on the list of features), is to give the players the ability to add random superpowers to the enemies, or at least to the lieutenants and up. Think you're fighting Nagdellians with energy guns? Maybe the bosses pull out the immobilzation grenades they bought from the Yekus mercenaries...or their bio-weapon debuffs from another alien civilization.

Not all missions will have this possibility -- we are palnning missions that are specifically designed to support repeated play, and those missions especially need to change content to be interesting.

Parabola

Postby Parabola » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:53 am

Just a quick thought on the mob composition slider. In CoH it always seemed more profitable to blow through masses of minions and lieutenants rather than fighting bosses. If this feature existed on CoH nearly every one of my characters would have run with bosses off.

It was a little frustrating that playing a single target focused character wasn't more rewarding though. I had a blaster who went through a couple of incarnations but was always based around the 'ranged stalker' idea. It would have been great to have been able to set missions to have a low number of high value enemies for her to assassinate but only if the rewards for killing bosses were a bit more enticing.

It would be a shame if this feature led to you rarely seeing bosses when in groups because 'they aren't worth the time'. It would lead to less diversity of character builds as everyone would gravitate towards aoe minion sweepers. Careful balancing of the rewards will be key!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:01 am

As for having a measure like "90% done" with a particular mission, we are not coding that right now. It's kind of hard to say when 90% done might occur. We're going to have to think about that some more. And a tracker that tells youthat you missed some missions? Hmmm, I'm thinking this could be hard. I read that at the end, COH had 6,000+ missions and the WOW has more than 50,000 missions... that would be some tracker.
I was more or less thinking kill all type missions or kill a certain amount of X Y and Z. your mission is to kill 100 Nagdellians, 100 Prometheans, 100 Rogue Robots, and 100 Yekus etc.

Odee

Postby Odee » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:19 am

...First we still plan to let characters set their difficulty level for most missions, so if you are level 20 you should be able to dial the level of the mission up or down and get level 21, or level 19 enemies to fight. And perhaps a few more levels as well.

Next we also intend to allow characters to affect (perhaps with a slider) the composition of enemy mobs. So you want more trash mobs? Fine by us. More lieutenants, bosses and maybe an Arch-Villain? Again fine by us.

Enemies need to scale to the size of the hero team, so a mission that has a solo hero obviously needs to spawn fewer enemies and lower level enemies than the same mission being played by a team of 10 heroes.

These factors do all interact, and we are planning this out right now, in detail. And some mission types begin at higher levels of difficulty than others. So any given mission can deliver a totally different player experience, depending upon how the player makes his selections and forms his team (or does not form a team).
1. Cool idea, for those of us that enjoy the challenge. ;) 🤜🏽🤛🏽

2. Very much cool customization for us challenge prone players 👍🏽👍🏽

3. On the fence with this one. I would think that with the customization of #2, this would nerf that feature. Still not a bad idea at all. 👍🏽🤜🏽🤛🏽
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:32 pm

Thank you Sensible. I appreciate you finding and linking these. I love to read these articles. okay, sometimes I just go strait to the comments. :oops:

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:33 pm

First time I have seen an article from invisioncommunity