City Upgrades

Consultant

City Upgrades

Postby Consultant » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:50 am

One of the things that is happening in the background of SoH development is that we are making use of the fact that Apotheosis City is not flat. this gives us a lot of room to make small, but very immersive changes to the arrangment of buildings, and to the three dimensionality of the city in a way that real people would create, but that automated programs for world-building can rarely achieve. This is why virtually every game in development has artists to drive customization.

We're going to show off some of this in the next video (fingers crossed), but I thought you might like to see one example this morning. Notice there are overhangs in both the foreground and the distance in this picture, as well as the tables with umbrellas.
Attachments
Apotheosis City Improvements.jpg
Apotheosis City Improvements.jpg (159.87 KiB) Viewed 3411 times

GladDog

Re: City Upgrades

Postby GladDog » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:06 am

The vertical changes are not as extreme as in a city such as Seattle or San Francisco, but they do add some interest into the background and seem more proper for a game. I'm happy with what has been done so far!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:22 pm

I kind of want to ignore the railing and jump from the upper level down to the tables...

Looks great!
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:12 pm

Beyond the table area there is an interesting addition with a lot of space which is "protected" from above by the extended patio, or whatever it should be called. Good place to duck out of sight of alien ships beamed in to bomb the city, it and when...

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:36 pm

adding a few more pics for the forums.

Hold on? is that my sword?

YES! You found my sword!!

To whom it may concern. The Giant Golden Sword located just above Victory avenue between science park and Heroic Plaza is mine. keep your grubby fingers off of it.

I'd like it returned. also it needs to be polished. :/

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:12 am

adding a few more pics for the forums.

Hold on? is that my sword?

YES! You found my sword!!

To whom it may concern. The Giant Golden Sword located just above Victory avenue between science park and Heroic Plaza is mine. keep your grubby fingers off of it.

I'd like it returned. also it needs to be polished. :/

You know, you really are obsessed with Gold :D (got to admit, your name would have been what crossed my mind, when seeing it too ;) )

But now to a more productive part here ;) - I couldn´t see it here on the picture so I just share that tought. I think it would be good/making sense when places like that one, where just any kind of Statues or architectural things stand around quite meaningless would also receive some kind of sign in which the reason for it being around is written on (like acknowledging some person or event as a memorial or whatever)

But by the way, it may be hard to polish your Sword without touching it - except the Devs come up with decent telekinetic powers :D
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Odee

Postby Odee » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:53 am

The vertical changes are not as extreme as in a city such as Seattle or San Francisco, but they do add some interest into the background and seem more proper for a game. I'm happy with what has been done so far!
Or Goldbug, Kentucky ;) :lol:

Oh, and Golden Ace, you cannot haz sword. Must haz coffee & donuts first. ;)
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:34 am

But now to a more productive part here ;) - I couldn´t see it here on the picture so I just share that tought. I think it would be good/making sense when places like that one, where just any kind of Statues or architectural things stand around quite meaningless would also receive some kind of sign in which the reason for it being around is written on (like acknowledging some person or event as a memorial or whatever)
With a nice badge if you read All of the plaques in the zone.

sensible

Postby sensible » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:16 pm

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:45 am

With a nice badge if you read All of the plaques in the zone.
yep that definitely is a must have! I loved going badge hunting :D
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:30 pm

We agree. Historical signs and badge for reading them all is a great thing.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:48 am

OK, for about third time we are starting to record the superspeed video this afternoon, so hopefully we can actually publish it sometime next week.

This particular video, which has a bunch of interesting things in it on top of superspeed, has been sort of cursed with odd technical issues -- as when our production guy found that his video rercording software required a (purchased) update to function properly. That was another half day lost while we identified the actual root problem. But that kind of stuff does happen.

As we head into the weekend, I thought I'd let you all know that there will be something to look forward to next week. Hopefully. Because stuff does happen. :)

Von

Postby Von » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:53 pm

OK, for about third time we are starting to record the superspeed video this afternoon, so hopefully we can actually publish it sometime next week.

This particular video, which has a bunch of interesting things in it on top of superspeed, has been sort of cursed with odd technical issues -- as when our production guy found that his video rercording software required a (purchased) update to function properly. That was another half day lost while we identified the actual root problem. But that kind of stuff does happen.

As we head into the weekend, I thought I'd let you all know that there will be something to look forward to next week. Hopefully. Because stuff does happen. :)
Ain't technology grand?
If you can get the subject to run fast enough, you can post the video last week...
You can run, but you'll just die tired.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:51 am

That's all looking very good. There were a few places in CoH that had you scratching your head a bit if you were a superspeeder but, overall, they did a pretty good job of ensuring access to important areas for everybody. I still preferred flight though ;)
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:14 am

Yes, we have a related issue with superspeed. Controlling your character'smovement requires skill (which is not the best thing to say about a travel power). For example, sharp 90 degree turns are not easy. We're fiddling with it, but we expect some good suggestions to emerge when we get to the point of Alpha testing superspeed.

Return to “What's Cooking”