Selectable Location/Item for Powers F/X?

Odee

Selectable Location/Item for Powers F/X?

Postby Odee » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:50 am

It would be great if we could select where our super powers came from on our characters. Hands, Mouth, Eyes, Chest... But what about Guns?

Say I have a Devastator with Electric Blast, that I want to have come from a device instead of the characters body. So I select this nifty Steampunk looking rifle for my Electric, or Ice, Fire, Plasma, whatever power to shoot out from, and set off vanquishing villains. Is this likely to be seen at launch, or will it be developed later down the line?
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

MrLazyRiczu

Re: Selectable Location/Item for Powers F/X?

Postby MrLazyRiczu » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:33 pm

I'd love to know the answer for that question too!
Haven't I killed you before? Or maybe you're the one who killed ME...That one time in my... -thinks- 16th life i think... Ughh, this whole resurrection thing is complicated. - Empties another bottle of beer.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:35 pm

So your question is "Can you change my blast source (i.e. from hand to a weapon), while keeping the same animation?"

It's not really that easy. I'm not going to say it's not possible, because nearly anything is possible in a computer game. but the cost in FX, and animation time right now is prohibitive.

Say you want to change your fire blast power from coming from your hand to a gun. that would not only require animation for the gun, (as well as making the gun and possibly animating it when it fires) but it would also change the animation of the power itself. now you need to draw a gun and fire it not just raise your hand and fire. there is also a slight variation of arm angle between the two powers and where the FX comes from for the blast and possibly new sounds effects. There are other subtle changes that need to be done with character pose when firing the gun. So we will need new animations, perhaps new animation timing for setup, drawing, firing and recovery. also the stance could be different as well. both when firing, and after. and possibly before firing as well.

can we do this? Yes, will we? not now. once the game gets up and running then yes we can possibly do some of this stuff.

but if you are already a gun or sword wielder changing weapons on an already weaponed character is fairly simple compared to what I wrote above. (unless we want to do oversized guns or swords and or change out a small handgun for a rifle) changing a gun to a wand see the paragraph above. different stance, different timing, different effects, different body position etc.

so you will probably see the ability to choose different weapons on an already weapon carrying character before seeing a change from openhanded powers changed to holding weapons and vice versa on a character.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Odee

Postby Odee » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:28 pm

Of course I realized this about a day late. Should have taken it down before Consultant responded. :oops:

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:54 pm

Of course I realized this about a day late. Should have taken it down before Consultant responded. :oops:
it was a good question and I know Consultant already responded to you in the other thread. so I knew you knew already. but MrLazyRiczu also wanted to know.

If it's an honest question it's a good question.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Odee

Postby Odee » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:41 am

it was a good question and I know Consultant already responded to you in the other thread. so I knew you knew already. but MrLazyRiczu also wanted to know.

If it's an honest question it's a good question.
You sir, are far too kind. Makes me wonder if I should be looking over my shoulder now? :lol:

Return to “Ask the Devs”