FAQ Replies

Odee

Re: FAQ Replies

Postby Odee » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:05 pm

Everyone should remember that we cannot simply re-create powersets from COH -- we don't own that IP. NC Soft owns it. So if we have something called regeneration, it will not have the same powers.

We've not shown too many melee powers yet, but we are working on them. Several new ones will be revealed in the next few months.

Tanker primary powers (which are not offensive powers, for those who did not play COH) will also start being revealed in the next few months. :)
Longish version?
While there are certain generic gaming terms for powersets, that cross the spectrum of many games, SoH has to be careful not to duplicate what their, (SoH's) named powers do, and how they are described/defined, in order to avoid any lawsuits.

In that vein, an example might be; Uppercut, Body Blow, Throat Punch, Legsweep, and Kneecap are all generic terms for specific strikes in martial arts. The rub comes in what the results (damage in this case) are, and how it affects the target(s)

Consultant, and team might decide to name the above the same. Or they could use something like,
  • Rib Breaker, A medium damage punch to the torso, that on Crit interrupts the targets attack.
  • Gasp, A devastating blow to the targets chest, and throat that temporarily stuns the target.
  • Scythe, A spinning AOE, (or cone) attack that knocks targets down, that on Crits, knocks them away.
  • The Cap, A disabling Root, that on Crit knocks target down.
    Note: All affects, and effects are temporary, from 3-5 seconds duration.
All that said. If a company has the exact same description, and effect for a powerset, then SoH either has to reword, or go to the company for permission to use. And that, my fiends, can be very costly.
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:16 pm

I have a question (just 'cause I have a red name does not mean I know everything :D).

Will there be a dark based support set, similar to CoH's Dark Miasma?
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Ridgeman

Postby Ridgeman » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:59 pm

In looking over the FAQ, I noticed in the power sets that there are not many centered on the elements; there is Fiery Blast/Defense and Ice Blast, but a lot of missing offensive/defensive elemental power sets. I understand that this game is not going to be a COH2 or another Champions, but I really don't see IP constraints taking a nice Earthen Defense or Ice Defense set out of the mix (for example). I realize that both time and resources are limited, so please don't take this as a rant by an entitled child - I (we all) really appreciate what you guys are trying to do. Shoot, as far as I'm concerned, you could just start off with the melee defensive primaries/secondaries as Fire, Ice, and Earth (maybe what... Elec?) and call it good! That's just me, though... and I'm pretty biased. ;)

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:39 pm

The FAQ only lists powersets that are confirmed to be in the game. As more is learned, more will be added to the FAQ, including powersets.

Keep in mind that there will likely only be 4 primary and 4 secondary powersets for each AT at release. I believe there are 5 tank primaries listed, but likely only 4 will be ready at release. So if your favorite powerset is not yet listed, don't give up hope! The team plans to pump out as many powersets as they can as the game matures.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:01 pm

Speaking of Dark magic blast, was never a fan of the occult stuff. I seriously doubt developers are doing dark rituals in the office when creating their games. I just tend to keep it clean, and vague.

Example, in Final Fantasy, I simply called the magic elemental or healing instead of Black or White magic. In SoH, I will simply refer to it as Dark blast.

Again, I doubt there is any serious intent with the names developers give these. I am just choose not to delve into that stuff, any if the the intent is harmless.

str8under

Re : FAQ Replies

Postby str8under » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:54 pm

Hello my name is Nick and I have followed the progress for awhile now and was wondering if and when someone might be able to join a test server of some kind or is donations required... I am clueless in this respect so if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it!

Odee

Postby Odee » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:10 pm

Hello my name is Nick and I have followed the progress for awhile now and was wondering if and when someone might be able to join a test server of some kind or is donations required... I am clueless in this respect so if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it!
I think it is a minimum donation of $25 USD to be considered for the Closed Beta Test

Apparition

Postby Apparition » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:20 am

I think it is a minimum donation of $25 USD to be considered for the Closed Beta Test
$50, IIRC.

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:19 pm

$50, IIRC.
https://www.shipofheroes.com/member-donation/

$25 for Beta Tester - the beta has not started yet. We are currently waiting on a CCT test which requires a $50 donation to participate.

Odee

Postby Odee » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:59 pm

The FAQ only lists powersets that are confirmed to be in the game. As more is learned, more will be added to the FAQ, including powersets.

Keep in mind that there will likely only be 4 primary and 4 secondary powersets for each AT at release. I believe there are 5 tank primaries listed, but likely only 4 will be ready at release. So if your favorite powerset is not yet listed, don't give up hope! The team plans to pump out as many powersets as they can as the game matures.
Wait GaldDog, you missed the video of the Witchy dark powers last year? :oops: :shock:

Return to “Ask the Devs”