Dual Boxing

Parabola

Dual Boxing

Postby Parabola » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:36 am

Hi All,

Something I used to love to do in CoH was dual box. It added a whole new level of complexity and often chaos to play in those times when I wasn't teaming (and occasionally when I was - apologies in particular to the teammates who had the dubious pleasure of seeing what my pair of bots/traps masterminds could do to their framerates!).

Will SoH allow dual boxing? I suppose the better question is will there be anything in place specifically to prevent it?

Mechanically there were a couple of things that CoH allowed that really made dual boxing work. The /follow command was vital, as was the ability to target through another character. Also the ability to autofire a power had it's moments - not just for rocking the aura, I found autofiring provoke with a secondary mastermind to be really useful for example.

The other big thing that made it so worthwhile was stacking buffs - will the same buffs in SoH stack if they are from different sources? This of course was also the foundation of all those glorious defender and controller superteams, I still have very fond memories of the time myself and a couple of friends ran five /rad controllers and melted all before us.

I hope these sorts of things will be possible in SoH. I'm in either way but these kinds of mechanics open up an extra layer of enjoyment for me and my slightly obsessive system analyst brain!

Consultant

Re: Dual Boxing

Postby Consultant » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:01 am

Could you take a moment and define dual boxing? Were you logged in using two accounts?

Parabola

Postby Parabola » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:35 am

Yes of course. I was running the game twice on the same computer logging in with two separate accounts. I would have two screens with a game instance in each (graphics turned down a bit so the gpu didn't melt) and flit between the two to fire powers off. I did the same thing with two computers at one point but when my main pc became beefy enough to run the game twice it was more convenient to use one.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:21 am

Ah, now I got you.

I did the same thing. I acquired a second account and would power level a character on the second account that had a leveling pact with a character on my main account.

Never teamed while I was doing it though.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Parabola

Postby Parabola » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:57 am

You had to give any potential teammates fair warning. It was impossible to play two characters anything like as well as those piloted individually and the potential for utter disaster was always high. I never set out to team while dual boxing and if someone asked to join I would always explain what I was doing upfront. If they still wanted to join me then that was on them!

Return to “Ask the Devs”