The January 2019 Plan

Consultant

The January 2019 Plan

Postby Consultant » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:39 am

We're going to outline our plan for development in 2019 in more detail elsewhere, but I thought I'd take a moment to outline the plan for January right now. Some of our main goals this months are:

1. We need to finish up the Holiday video for 2018 and publish it. This is the one with waves of monsters spawning and infusions being shown for the first time.

2. We're going to upgrade our engine versions, which is a big deal, although doesn't give us a lot to show. We have not upgraded in about 9 months.

3. We're coding some additional pieces of our mission system this month and next. This is a major effort for us. We need to find a way to show some of the progress we're making on this.

4. We're going to assemble a high-points video from the Login Tests that many of us participated in on December 15th. As always, there will be a newsletter with technical notes to go along with this.

5. We only used about half of our costumes in the Login Test, so our character art team will be working to add the rest of the costumes to CCT3, and then to make an assessment of what else we need to do so that we can plan out a beta of our character creator. If possible, we'd like to show something related to clipping suppression. Clipping suppression could show up in February, though.

6. We're working on two new powerset reveals. But we don't know exactly which month it will come out, as there is a lot of work to do.

Feel free to let me know what you'd like to see. If we can do it, we'll try to add it to the list. :)

Voidblazer

Re: The January 2019 Plan

Postby Voidblazer » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:04 am

Happy New Year, Consultant! 2019 is going to be a big year. Your team has shown a level of dedication and transparency that is so impressive and reassuring. The login test was a big and very successful milestone. It was great to experience the positive community you've fostered from the get-go from within Apotheosis City for the first time!

I'd like to start seeing bios/histories for the enemy groups we'll be fighting. That was always one of my favorite aspects of CoH: learning where the enemy groups came from, and what led them to challenge our superheroes. I remember reading the rich and wicked history of the Circle of Thorns, and would love to see some real fleshed-out details about the Nagdellians, etc.: humanity's first encounters with them, what we know about their homeworld, recent events, and bios on their leaders and noteworthy individuals. Some canon to pine over to get our imaginations running would be very much appreciated!

Wishing you all joy and prosperity in 2019! I can hardly wait to see what's next! 8-)
Life is like an anole. Sometimes it's green, and sometimes it's brown, but it's always a small Caribbean lizard.

Odee

Postby Odee » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:21 pm

HUZZAH! Thanks for the heads up, and HAPPY NEW YEAR! May it prove far more heroic, than we could ever imagine! 💯💝👍
Odee says,
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

HeroGamer

Postby HeroGamer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:46 pm

We're going to outline our plan for development in 2019 in more detail elsewhere, but I thought I'd take a moment to outline the plan for January right now. Some of our main goals this months are:

2. We're going to upgrade our engine versions, which is a big deal, although doesn't give us a lot to show. We have not upgraded in about 9 months.

Feel free to let me know what you'd like to see. If we can do it, we'll try to add it to the list. :)
Hi

I don't really know anything about programming or writing a video game. What does it mean when you say you are going to "upgrade our engine versions"? Does that make the graphics better?

And . . .

Have you guys started working on the Controller class?

Thanks!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:45 pm

The game uses the Unreal engine 4 (UE4) We want to upgrade to the most recent upgrade for the game which came out last July which is UE4 version 4.20. 4.20 is the most stable version of the engine and comes with a lot of perks from improved performance to creating landscapes and characters and everything in between.

As a bonus we can now also use any of the 12 million dollars of free assets given out by epic games from their Paragon game project (version 4.19), (An epic game that went belly up) including character models, animations, and environments. Not that we can use everything, but the generic environment assets could potentially be very useful, as well as a few models that could be used for NPCs. At the very least we could look under the hood and see how they produced what they did. Looking under the hood it a few things really opens your eyes sometimes on how to create new stuff.

I really really want to know what assets will be used from paragon. We were unable to use any of it before because our version was not high enough.

https://massivelyop.com/2018/03/19/epic ... velopment/

I’m sure others can explain it much better than I did.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:51 pm

LOL, I hope you are not going to be disappointed, but the first thing we want to look at are the hair models. Some of those are quite nice and we think we can convert them for use in our game, inexpensively.

We will also look around at the props, but we have a lot of good stuff in that regard.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:07 pm

The props are awesome

love the zen garden

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplac ... zen-garden

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:05 pm

lets not forget the special effects

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplac ... de-effects

Odee

Postby Odee » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:36 pm

LOL, I hope you are not going to be disappointed, but the first thing we want to look at are the hair models. Some of those are quite nice and we think we can convert them for use in our game, inexpensively.

We will also look around at the props, but we have a lot of good stuff in that regard.
Speaking of hair... Will there be a masking system in place that occludes/covers up, only the hair covered when using hats, and helmets? How would that affect say a Ball Cap, or Helmet, over a ponytail with bangs? Does that even make sense?
Odee says,
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:32 am

always awesome what you got to show G.A I love that landscape and of course also the energy optics :)

And for those who I haven´t talked to this year

A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL !

Consultant
About what I would love to see (if possible) - is there anything planned about auras yet?
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Dragonnas Xavier

Postby Dragonnas Xavier » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:48 am

Still waiting with bated breath for the opportunity to get in and look at what you have available for character creation so far. Combat is smooth and well optimized. Did you already answer elsewhere what machine you were using during the holiday video? Curious what we're looking at. Are the settings maxed out? Is the resolution 1080p or is it higher? Youtube can't really show me if it's up to 1440p or 4k. Kudos to you guys, and happy new year.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:06 am

I can answwer that I used my new gaming laptop, with an NVidia 1080 GPU. I was very pleased with FPS in the Login test.

As to auras, we think they are kind of simple to do, but we have not implemented anything yet. We try (and don't always succeed) to focus on long-lead-time game elements, and to do some of the hard stuff first, so it is not all piled up, waiting for us in the final year.

Just as an example, we showed Apotheosis City two years ago, took people around on tours, gave press interviews in the city, etc. But we have been actively working on improving the city continuously since then. But even when we launch the Beta, we probably will not have the Hazard Zone in the south completed. These things can take years for a small team like ours, with a significant volunteer component. That's why project planning and organization is so important.

When we get a Beta going, we expect that will generate more revenue to be dedicated to content developemnt and expansion.

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:52 am

thanks for the info -
don´t mind I just put in a thought which interests me - I am patient as long as I know that something is on the horizon :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:49 pm

Great holiday video!

How likely is it to see the rain of flaming boulders power changed to just be rain of pure fire energy? :P

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:07 am

That might be a little close to a power from another game we all played. :)

Return to “What's Cooking”