will NPC's be text or Voice ???

Eulb

will NPC's be text or Voice ???

Postby Eulb » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:17 pm

the question i'm thinking about is the NPC's that are giving out missions
will they be voice acted ??? ... or text ????

... If they are Voice acted can some of the supporters be recorded by you the DEV's to be used in the voice acting ... that would be grate and I'd personally let you use my voice for nothing in regarding payment or even compensation ... just knowing I help contribute to the game ... WOW
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Solari

Re: will NPC's be text or Voice ???

Postby Solari » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:16 pm

I'm quite happy with speech bubbles seeing as it fits in with the comic book theme.

CO voice acting was jarring to me for some reason.

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:45 pm

Voice acting is a lot harder than people imagine it is. Check out KOTOR II's fan made M4-78 to hear amateurs in action. Quite frankly, I found it painful and had to uninstall the mod as soon as I had finished it once.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:25 pm

Yeah, you really need professionals to do high quality voice acting and they don't come cheap.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:14 pm

Voice acting is expensive! If it makes it into the game, it will be years down the road.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:25 am

The combination of high expense, high expertise required to do it right, and also "one more thing to do before we launch" makes it very unlikely that we will have voice acting.

I would not rule it out in the long term. Our thinking is that once we get the game launched, the community (that all of you guys) will continue to be vocal about what you want most as expansions and improvements. We plan to listen.

So we are in a never-say-never situation. But we're not planning on it right now.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:43 am

well if you ever do decide to do voice acting I highly recommend whoever did the voice acting 'Holiday' in star wars the old republic. she was the only reason I stuck around for any length of time in that game.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Odee

Postby Odee » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:56 pm

In light of Keeping the costs down, I'd prefer text. But if NPC's are voiced, I'm available for free, if credited. Can't guarantee the quality is studio level, but it's close. 💯👍😎
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

LaughingLandry

Postby LaughingLandry » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:55 pm

I prefer text bubbles. It reminds me of the comic book style delivery from COH. And yes adding voice would
Be expensive and also complex. Maybe down the line just doing voice for major cut scenes you know like pre expansion status would be ok. But then I wouldn’t want the community to expect he devs to go back to old content and add voice all the original content.

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:26 am

I would also be for the bubbles because you have to remember, that eventually there will be translations coming for other countries and it is way cheaper having texts translated and exchanged than having to have people in the studio for any language which might eventually be interesting
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:01 pm

I prefer text bubbles. It reminds me of the comic book style delivery from COH. And yes adding voice would
Be expensive and also complex. Maybe down the line just doing voice for major cut scenes you know like pre expansion status would be ok. But then I wouldn’t want the community to expect he devs to go back to old content and add voice all the original content.
Welcome Landry! Glad you finally got an account and started posting.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Odee

Postby Odee » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:08 pm

NPC's text based please. You'll be doing the world a favor by increasing reading and spelling skills.

That said, I would love to see in-game VOICE for Teams, and SG's
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:39 pm

Text is faster and most people skip the introduction text for missions anyway when they do missions the 3rd or 4th time. So text is cheap and fast.
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:45 pm

I'm quite happy with speech bubbles seeing as it fits in with the comic book theme.

CO voice acting was jarring to me for some reason.
I recognize SOH as a game with realistic graphics compared to CO which has really an intensive comic book look. :geek: One reason I moved to SOH was the realistic graphics and you call them comic book stlyle... :lol:
Anyway I agree having text bubbles or text lines would be totally adequate. :mrgreen:
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

Return to “Ask the Devs”