The day CoH Shut Down

Strife3

The day CoH Shut Down

Postby Strife3 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:19 pm

I got an email today from NCSoft. I was wondering what it was about. I tried out WildStar so they gave me a shout out. Well Folks, NCSoft is at it again. Most of you should remember this date. Nov 30th 2012. The date NCSoft shut down City of Heroes and took away the best game ever made. They say all good things come to an end but thats not exactly true. World of Warcraft is going on 14 years now and they are bringing up Classic servers. Yes I know many hate wow but the point is that a good company keeps a great game going. NCSoft aparently does not know this concept. Getting back to the Mail I got it reads 'All good Adventures come to an end' On the 6th Year Anniversary of the shut down of City of heroes. Nov 30th 2018 NCSoft is shutting down another MMO Which is WildStar. Now this game is no where near as good as CoH was but I find it really funny that they chose this date to shut down another MMO.

They keep Guild Wars 2 running but kill off good games.

Tell everyone what you think of this!

Ravynwynd

Re: The day CoH Shut Down

Postby Ravynwynd » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:00 am

I knew it was coming, and I subconsciously left CoH like before the shut down. I was bummed, and I guess I didn't want to see the countdown of the System Message, and the Disconnected from the Server. Or the repeat attempts to log in.

Ravynwynd

Postby Ravynwynd » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:05 am

They got to feed their BABY mmorpg, GW2. Their mistake that they won't admit to. But they invested too much into it to do anything but to kill of what they think are not bringing in enough to feed their baby.

What they should have done, is gotten rid of Lineage and Lineage II; since Aion seems to have replaced Lineage.

Not to mention other open mmorpgs that might not be big profits; EverQuestII and Anarchy Online. Look how long those have been around. And lot's say that EA really hurt EQ and SWG.

brawlizard

Postby brawlizard » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:29 am

Wildstar was why they shut down CoH.
Im not upset it is shutting down. It was a pretty crap game

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:29 pm

The remaining Wildstar players are hurting right now. Let me just say to them -- come look at Ship of Heroes. We'll welcome you. Different game, but at least we feel your pain.

I also don't like that NCSoft chose to use the anniversary date of COH closure for Wildstar. It just seems kind of insensitive. They couldn't have chosen one week later? Or even better a month later?

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:10 pm

Insensitive is kind of ncsoft’s thing. I swear to God they do stuff just to rub it in to the old City of Heroes player base.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Actjcksn

Postby Actjcksn » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:14 pm

Maybe it's just an end of quarter or fiscal year thing and not just vindictiveness. Either way, they still suck!
3) Expect the Plan to go off the rails...
4) ...Throw away the Plan

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:46 am

so just ignore them - it does not pay watching for their stuff
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:55 am

It proves one thing, NCSoft see their games as nothing more than money making exercises. They make hard nosed business decisions, which you can't blame them for, but the way they do it is something you can definately castigate them for. They forget that customers, once lost, very rarely return.

I used to play GW2 as well but I've lost any faith in NCSoft's ability, or willingness, to keep a game going. I won't touch any of their offerings now. They're not pulling the rug from under my feet again.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Zagadka

Postby Zagadka » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:39 am

But Aion is still going. For some reason.

Also RIP Tabula Rasa. So much promise... you can't trust them.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:51 am

While NCsoft gets no sympathy from me, I did find out something new a few weeks ago about the CoH debacle that in my mind, changes everything. I really don't want to believe it, but the source was credible.

NCsoft was quite happy with CoH, and it was making enough money that they supplied Paragon with startup funds to begin work on CoH2. This is where the rumors of CoH2 started. However, the dev team took the cash and used part of it to fund another project that would not be an NCsoft game.

Shocking.

NCsoft was suddenly left with no way to win with CoH. They could not reward a subordinate company that did what they did with more money to re-fund CoH2. In fact, they really had no choice but to close Paragon. HOWEVER...

Now the one-off engine used by CoH became a huge liability. There were very few devs that could continue running the game, and almost all of them were Paragon employees. So it would take well over a year to bring a new dev team up to speed. So CoH would become a huge money loser until the new dev team was at full speed. Now factor in a year to get the people that would quit back, and now you are looking at a 10 year old game that has lost money for two straight years. And, Marvel Heroes was releasing in June of 2013. So who knows how many people they would lose permanently?

Could they call out the Paragon dev team and call them thieves? They could, but back then it would have been a HUGE backfire, making NCsoft look like villains. So instead, they decided to shut down Paragon and had no choice but to shutter CoH.

The only real choice left with CoH was to port the game to a more modern engine. But remember that one-off game engine? It meant that there were no tools to do the porting. All aspects of the game would have to be manually inserted into a modern engine, with brand new animations, effects, and so on. So a minimum of 20 million USD to get the same exact game ported to a new engine. Probably more. And, porting to a modern engine means that a lot of former players would need to upgrade their computer or stay out. Wow, what a can of worms opened up!

There was another choice; forgive the Paragon team and pretend nothing happened. Then they could keep CoH going and continue work on CoH2, But with that much trust thrown in the garbage can, I can't really see a large company like NCsoft going that route.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:47 am

Where did you hear that?

this is the first time I ever heard such a thing.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:26 pm

So, I went back to the post I was originally referring to, and it is gone. It was on Reddit, but referred to other, more credible sources.

So maybe this article sums it up best.

https://www.mmobomb.com/features/heres ... s-popping/

In summation: I may have been wrong about believing the source. That said, we may never really know everything that went on.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:19 pm

Thank you for the info.

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:01 am

GladDog
So, I went back to the post I was originally referring to, and it is gone. It was on Reddit, but referred to other, more credible sources.
So maybe this article sums it up best.
https://www.mmobomb.com/features/heres ... s-popping/
In summation: I may have been wrong about believing the source. That said, we may never really know everything that went on.
GladDog, you missed the article about that on mmorpg.com and the discussion that followed. https://www.mmorpg.com/news/rumor-city- ... 000049799

You will find that someone posted that the story was already debunked. I will also give you my take on it that I posted there.

The first is that this was the very first time I had heard the story, and I have heard several since CoH's shutdown nearly six years ago. If any part of this story had just a shred of validity to it I'm sure that many of us would have heard of it many years ago.
Second is that it is all anonymous sources. There are too many of those being cited by the lamestream media these days without enough facts to back up and fully validate their claims.
Third and most importantly would be the almost certain results of the actions taken by NCsoft if the company actually discovered Paragon developers doing what poster exChua claims they were. Now GladDog, you and I both know NCsoft well enough by now to know what they would most likely have done based on their history. If NCsoft ordered Paragon Studios to work on CoH 2 and later caught them NOT working on CoH 2 and instead working on another game with NCsoft's money that was meant for the development of CoH 2 we both know that the sh*t would have hit the fan. NCsoft wouldn't have laid off the entire studio, they would have fired those most responsible to make an example out of 'em. This would have been rather big news and tarnished a lot of names, and yet here we are with this story just now getting around.

The application of a little bit of logic and reason should lead us all to the conclusion that exChua's claims are nothing but a load of bull and we shouldn't take them seriously. This story probably got started by either a disgruntled NCsoft employee, which isn't hard to believe, or some troll that wanted to rile people up just to get a reaction. - Well, the story certainly got a reaction.
Time to let Ol' Painless out of the bag.

Return to “General Discussion”