AE Theory

zombiegod420

AE Theory

Postby zombiegod420 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:34 pm

First and quickly I would like to agree with "Gilbegger" when he said we will be playing this game for years....the grind is ok with us. Lots of people like to speed through a game where as I like to take time and experience it. I've always been pro grind. Second, I want to touch on the AE theory. Fans making thier own missions is a great idea and could be fun, but I have to be honest it was the first time in COH that I was upset. A lot of people were using them to power lvl, yes could be handy iff used in moderation.. but I remember coming out of indoor missions time and time again only to see dust in the streets. All the heroes we're gone, the streets were empty. Everyone was inside these missions power leveling. This is only my oppinion but I will offer an idea. (If the architecht system is available to players how about limiting them somehow. We could use them as a contest senario. We make a map/mission and our maps are reviewed and voted on by "Dev's). The winners could have thier maps temporarily put on pedistals for people to play or even put in the games story line! Again only my oppinion. But either way I'm still playing don't worry! lol

Red5

Re: AE Theory

Postby Red5 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:14 am

me personally worries less about power leveling players...to each there own. I play my game.

I will say streets cleared up a tad before the AE...least on my server primarily because it was no longer as fun do to game mechanic changes that impeded on that fun specifically.

I won't lie...I will most likely use an AE SoH version to PL my alts...but that would be down the road a bit as I would probably first:

-try to make a main character/concept
-make alts to test the various powers

But eventually I'll want to try my hand at other alts and our SG will be pretty set...so best way to catch alts up is to PL them.

This is actually good for the game as I will now have 2 Accounts doing monthly subscriptions.

Lastly I really enjoyed running player made missions. SOme were hilarious, some really thought out and challenging and others perfect for PL'ing....All were good for a person like me at that time to solo through
...reporting in.

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:56 am

I will love having the possibility to use AE again - though I got to admit I never had the idea of using it for power levelling (guess I was a little bit naive).
But it is the only chance we had and still would have to be completely free and flexible with creating own characters, NPCs and lores and share them with others. So the storytelling is, what intrigues me and that is what I am looking forward to most!
Of course a system can always be misused - but I don´t really see it here that much, because you have to beat your enemies no matter how and where and only the ones fitting to you will be giving you XP. I understand but don´t think there will be trouble with be people not being around the real world anymore, since both aspects have their own advantages. You won´t meet new people in your AE World for example - and by the way eventually you will have all through which interests you.

By the way - I don´t mind having a score board or good ideas being taken into account - but that wouldn´t be my motivation - I just like being creative :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

zombiegod420

Postby zombiegod420 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:15 pm

yes! I totally agree with you guys. I like the chance to be creative and see other peoples creativity, and i do remember some of them being halarious! and or just fun. lol Also i too, would PL alts for teams or sg the same way. I really am not against the AE at all or power leveling. I jsut dont want it to take to much away from the existing game.

Red5

Postby Red5 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:20 pm

I will love having the possibility to use AE again - though I got to admit I never had the idea of using it for power levelling (guess I was a little bit naive)....
Some would debate whether it was or wasn't the fastest way to level up a character. I am of the school that say it was, with newspaper/radio mission clearing being close second.

The glaring problem imho with CoX was there were many fun ways to level up and they were on par with each other. Dev's then started systematically reducing/changing/nerfing those ways till there was 2 main ways left to level an alt quickly. One of which did not require running around town...making it better.
...reporting in.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:24 pm

Something similar to the Architect Edition mission creator system is high on the dev team's list, but no guarantee it will be in at release. They are trying though! This is something they really want in the game ASAP.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Red5

Postby Red5 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:12 pm

Something similar to the Architect Edition mission creator system is high on the dev team's list, but no guarantee it will be in at release. They are trying though! This is something they really want in the game ASAP.
Ya that would be an amazing feat for launch. I thought myself optimistic @ hoping @ 3 months after launch. Besides lots to do, alts to make, and powers to test till then ;)
...reporting in.

Postby Avatar PDM » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:02 am

I will love having the possibility to use AE again - though I got to admit I never had the idea of using it for power levelling (guess I was a little bit naive)....
Some would debate whether it was or wasn't the fastest way to level up a character. I am of the school that say it was, with newspaper/radio mission clearing being close second.

The glaring problem imho with CoX was there were many fun ways to level up and they were on par with each other. Dev's then started systematically reducing/changing/nerfing those ways till there was 2 main ways left to level an alt quickly. One of which did not require running around town...making it better.
Like I said, it never occured to me - me for my part, when I wanted to level fast, I asked one of my lvl50 friends to take me as a sidekick and they took me along - worked good enough for me :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Postby Avatar PDM » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:04 am

well it is great to hear that it will be around - for the time I will be patient, I mean there is so much they are working on, nobody can expect everything to be there at once when they are not planning to wait another 5 years ;)

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:32 am

Our lead coder just game me a big brainstorm paper on AE and on missions generally, which I am still digesting. But yes, we do want to have a player-created mission system.

It's funny, I used the AE missions in COH, but I never personally created one. Fortunately we do have at least one dev on our team who did use the old system to create missions, so that is a source of inspiration for us.

I particularly remember playing a mission multiple times in which the enemies were evil upright-walking cows and bulls with psychic powers...

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:34 am

Well looking at AE mission's ... for me laying out a mission arc. for others to participate in ... is ... well scary ... to me ... man I would have to put a lot of throught in what that mission would consist of ...

So this is what the DEV's are going through right now ... making mission's for all of us to critic ... making ship lvl's ... making npc's ... making the CC
wow I'm even more impressed with " SOH "
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:40 am

like I said - I have a great an optimistic feeling (working on not getting euphoric) about all the input.

You know Consultant, there are always those who create and those who use creations. I loved creating on AE and actually most times only played my own creations (except few cases when something really pushed some buttons in my head) but when you create something it is always nice to see others are using it, because it shows approval to your ideas :).
So I am really looking forward to it - and hope, that it will again be possible to see how many and often people have used something :)

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:03 am

I created my very first mission for a game with (I think; it was actually one of three games) Age of Empires, about 22 years ago. And, I was hooked. I started making missions with SimCity, SimCity2, Warcraft 1 & 2, Quake 2 (using a player developed mission creator), a game you very likely never heard of called Arch Angel, the first Unreal, and of course CoH. I LOVE mission creation!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:43 am

I created my very first mission for a game with (I think; it was actually one of three games) Age of Empires, about 22 years ago. And, I was hooked. I started making missions with SimCity, SimCity2, Warcraft 1 & 2, Quake 2 (using a player developed mission creator), a game you very likely never heard of called Arch Angel, the first Unreal, and of course CoH. I LOVE mission creation!
yep especially since you are able to include your own criminals and support teams and so on :roll:

I am really looking forward seeing your creations :)

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:16 pm

It's funny, I used the AE missions in COH, but I never personally created one. Fortunately we do have at least one dev on our team who did use the old system to create missions, so that is a source of inspiration for us.

I particularly remember playing a mission multiple times in which the enemies were evil upright-walking cows and bulls with psychic powers...
I was lazy and just had fun trying everybody else's missions. It was always a good stop gap between mission arches or if your team wasn't around and you needed some quick action.

Return to “General Discussion”