Number of costumes at launch question

Landrymat

Re: Number of costumes at launch question

Postby Landrymat » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:27 pm

Either way I say Do what you can by your launch date.

More can always be added. Im all for your stance of Small launch/Large quality. More can always be added later.
Apparently I like to repeat myself Apparently!! Lol

Vertigo Blue

Postby Vertigo Blue » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:54 pm

Either way I say Do what you can by your launch date.

More can always be added. Im all for your stance of Small launch/Large quality. More can always be added later.
Apparently I like to repeat myself Apparently!! Lol
Lol, I think you're just thorough in your explanations I think! :D

Arkathos

Postby Arkathos » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:11 am

I think the most important thing for you to have on launch is well fleshed out world building, interesting story lines, and fun, interactive combat. The plethora of costumes can come later.

Strife3

Postby Strife3 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:26 pm

I liked the Idea what CoH did using icon, opening character outfit slots as they level.
Personally I think they should give 3 to start and earn up to 5 more.

Your main look, a secondary team look and if you have a normal life like most heroes a plain look.

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:59 am

I liked the Idea what CoH did using icon, opening character outfit slots as they level.
Personally I think they should give 3 to start and earn up to 5 more.

Your main look, a secondary team look and if you have a normal life like most heroes a plain look.
Sorry Strife, I believe that was a different topic - they meant here actual costume pieces like space look, cowboy look, soldier look etc. if I understood it right (if not than I would have to rearrange my post here myself ;) )
(just mentioning it, that you can give your opinion to that question too :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Warhead

Postby Warhead » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:37 pm

To me, character customization is important. it was one of the best points of CoX. I'm not expecting the game to have the expansive selection CoX did at launch; however, I would hope that there was enough variety so that mixing an matching can allow for some unique looks so that everyone does not look similar. If there is a costume shop so I can upgrade the look down the line then that would be ok, but I wouldn't want to rush out a game without adding as much as possible. The creator could be a big draw to new players.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:14 pm

More than 12, unless we want everyone to look the same. Even 12 would be low. Less than 12 seems like those joke questions professors throw in on test.

Which of these are true?

a) 1+1=2

b) I don't care

c) This is not a math question

d) All of the above

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:25 pm

A1fighter ... you posted...
Which of these are true?[/b]

a) 1+1=2 b) I don't care c) This is not a math question d) All of the above
Let me committ my self a -- c -- and d are true

B is false I do care ... :D
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:28 pm

A1fighter ... you posted...
Which of these are true?[/b]

a) 1+1=2 b) I don't care c) This is not a math question d) All of the above
Let me committ my self a -- c -- and d are true

B is false I do care ... :D
A is factual, the rest save c are subjective. I see what you are saying though.

Less than 12 is pretty low, even 12 itself is pretty low. I guess that is subjective, just my opinion.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:00 pm

Not sure how I feel about costume sets, Costume pieces however…
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:59 am

Not sure how I feel about costume sets, Costume pieces however…
I think the question if costume pieces or sets are kind of secondary, as long as you can exchange each one of them - but I believe it is easier to get concepts maybe. As I understand it CoH had mostly sets too, or do I see that wrong?
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Warhead

Postby Warhead » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:24 am

I was there from the start but i don't even remember. As to what others have said, extra pieces would be the key for the mix and match. CoX also had the patterns for the tights as well (not as many as they have now). As long as those kind of extra elements are available, there should be enough to mix and match at launch.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:10 am

We're working on a bunch of the issues listed in this thread.

I cannot tell you all just how useful it was to have a character creator alpha last year. Not only did we get feedback on what people thought of the system we had built, we also got a lot of intelligent discussion of the features we need to add.

Since the alpha, off the top of my head, we've done the following:

1. Completely re-built the character models (again) to make sure that we have them optimized, I think we've done this twice, in fact, for purely technical reasons.
2. Rebuilt the costume templates we use to build all of our costume pieces. We're actually doing that again right now, as a subtle quality improvement.
3. We've created six or seven completely new costumes.
4. We've coded two entire systems to allow players to mix and match costumes pieces in the run-time game. We about to decide which technical path to follow.
5. We hired four new costume artists, including one who was recruited away from us by a large studio because his work was so good (we still have his work products of course).
6. We've reduced and refined the list of morphs (the alpha told us we had far too many) for characters. We have one more round of this to complete, and then we think we'll have the CCT in "launch condition" for the Beta.

As I write this note we are researching and hopefully creating a new workflow to take advantage of some technical improvements in hair modeling within UE4, and to establish an upgraded workflow for the creation of new hair models.

And we have a rally cool new costume that sort of brings together many of the elements above. Actually we should showcase that one pretty soon.

Solari

Postby Solari » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:58 am

Just to add my belated voice - I'm not worried about having a limited number ofcostume sets at launch as long as there are plenty of customization pieces like spikes, fins, bug-eyes, masks, glasses, hats etc...

Mageman

Postby Mageman » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:10 pm

I voted >8. CoH released with about 10 costume sets and a lot of individual pieces, but a lot of those were not that great, and you only saw them on joke characters. I think that 8-10 well thought out costumes that are fully interchangable would be plenty to release with.
Actually, CoH was released with 4 slots. You had one to start with, and you could quest for another 3 at levels 20, 30, and 40.

Then, with the Halloween event, you could get salvage to get a 5th slot by “trick or treat”ing at doors. The Arachnos Soldier and the Arachnos Widow would get a costume slot quest at level 10. However, they were also limited to 5 slots.

The most costume slots you could get in-game is 5. Even if you switched from Hero to Villain, you could only quest for a total of 5.

When CoH shut down, you could purchase another 5 slots for a total of 10. If I remember correctly, you had to purchase those slots for each character, so this could get expensive. This is something that I wouldn't pay for, and I think that 5 is enough.

My vote was for “As many as you (can), just launch!” We only need 1 for launch, you can add more later.

Return to “Polling Discussion”