Archetypes I’d like to play... Melee/Hybrid Support/Control

Jeuraud

Archetypes I’d like to play... Melee/Hybrid Support/Control

Postby Jeuraud » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:19 am

From reading the Archetypes and Powers description, SoH is going range support and limited class options, just as CoH did, unlike say... Valiance Online,
Is this true, and if so... why?
Even the CoH Devs did not like the class limitations, taking primary and secondary powers from different classes to flesh out their characters and named bosses such as Frostfire. Hells, even a Redname in this forum talked about running a Scrap-Troller in CoH, which was usally a Controller with Melee Pool Powers, primarily Air Superiority from the Flight Pool. I thought that playing a Melee Corrupter would have been a blast, but there is no way you could replace its attacks with pool attacks. Another combo I would have liked is the Dominator's secondary, with it's mix of range and melee, as a primary, and have a Support/Control secondary.

In my opinion CoHV's tightly controlled classes were not its strong points,

Styrj

Re: Archetypes I’d like to play... Melee/Hybrid Support/Control

Postby Styrj » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:30 am

At some point, I really hope the Devs seriously consider developing a Dominator type Archetype. When CoV came out, I took to Doms like gravy on rice :D . I wound up soloing 8 of my Doms to 50, and, had an absolute blast doing so.
:D If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:40 am

There are no plans for any new ATs other than the 6 laid out already - there was a passing mention of adding rogues, but nothing further has been said.

The final form of Controllers has not been finished though, and since it may be 6+ months before we see pets, it may be likely that they add a couple of ranged attacks into the Controller primary sets.

The 6 ATs; (used by both heroes and villains when they are introduced)

Tanks
Brawlers
Devastators
Defenders
Controllers
Commanders (Masterminds in CoH)
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:34 am

sorry if I ask - what is a Dominator again?

by the way I believe I got Consultant thinking about Combi-Classes like Kheldians ;) (at least I hope so :roll: )
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:29 am

Dominator was Control Primary and Assault Secondary. The secondary was a combo of Ranged, Melee, Buff & Debuff, but mostly damage. Plenty of debuffing in the control sets!

I preferred playing Doms, even though I never capped one. I just hated having to be a wimp until you hit level 32 whilst playing Controllers.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Holechek

Postby Holechek » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:27 am

Dominator was Control Primary and Assault Secondary. The secondary was a combo of Ranged, Melee, Buff & Debuff, but mostly damage. Plenty of debuffing in the control sets!

I preferred playing Doms, even though I never capped one. I just hated having to be a wimp until you hit level 32 whilst playing Controllers.
Jack Frost was a boss when you unlocked him as an ice controller. I absolutely loved how a lot of the control sets had summons at the end of their skill lot, really allowed you to utilize your pet to tank while you could use your CC during solo.

Dragonfire

Postby Dragonfire » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:56 pm

As long as I can play a blaster, defender, controller, scrapper, and tanker, I'll be fine. A mastermind (pets) would be great for a number of concepts I have, and hopefully I can edit the pets so that they look like the hero/villain (for cloning power rpg), or for various creatures, or even like semi-customized NPCs.

I miss my claws/regen scrapper, and my claws/regen stalker. I had an energy/energy blaster that I miss also. If there's a way to recreate that in SoH, I'll be happy.

Rhydian

Postby Rhydian » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:29 am

Its a fundamental mistake to design superhero games with any kind of character roll for boss encounters. Its exactly that kind of thinking that made DCUO not near as good as it could have been on top of the lackluster character development. Alot of superheroes especially mutant or born this way types are really some sort of half and half non combat class with some powerful abilities like an Xavier any kind of empath or guys like Beast who have some physical powers but supplement it with real life intelligence. When they make these superhero games where you are put on rails with power sets that make you, Hulk, wonder Woman, Iron Man, Spider man or ranged DPS Havoc etc and made to wear uniforms that look like something out of a Golden age Fantastic Four outer space adventure it sort of ruins that. I also really hated the DCUO set in stone movement powers some guys do not have movement powers, I get the feeling this game will feel like a mission drop with a set in stone spec and a cute mailbox probably some kind of talking robot to give you available missions, no please no.

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:58 am

I am giving my regular opinion to that one again ;)
Since we cannot mix powers individually I definitely hope we will have a powerset like the Kheldians (Warshade for example) eventually (I can wait for that too) because even if some now say, they were not good as blasters and not good as tanks or scrappers because they where a low level mix of both - it doesn´t really matter for the idea!

The idea is having the ability to create characters like all those Ninja-like characters (as Batman, Moon Knight, Robin and so on) or maybe also a superstrong guy with energy beams like all those Powerhouses (Superman, Mr Majestic, Gladiator, Sentry, Martian Manhunter, Iron Man, Silver Surfer, Green Lantern you get the thought) not because of the ability to wipe everything alone but just because that is part of super heroic history
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Return to “General Discussion”