Things I want and don't want, what about you ?

POD

Things I want and don't want, what about you ?

Postby POD » Wed May 30, 2018 8:57 pm

I am a junkie for collectables, I loved the badges in CoH, but if there is going to be something similar I really hope that they are attainable in a pleasurable way.

I hated it when CoH introduced a badge for discovering a game error/glitch, and then the error had to be looked into and approved before you got it, if there are to be collectables they should all be realistically attainable by everyone playing who wants to put in a reasonable amount of effort to get them, please don't introduce something that only a handfull of players can get. You only have to look at the trophy sites for the consoles to see there are thousands of players who thrive on being able to get 100% on collectables

Also, I don,t mind a "bit" of grind for some things but I hate it when repeated monotony is required to the point when it becomes a bore. For example, in the Star Wars game you could spend hours/days/weeks on your own making millions of buff cakes to level up cooking skills at a snails pace just so you could eventually make a buff cake that was useful, or you could engage with other players by doing missions with them, there wasn,t enough hours in the day to do both, so please keep the grind stuff below insanity level.

Blue Yankee

Re: Things I want and don't want, what about you ?

Postby Blue Yankee » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:18 pm

I am a junkie for collectables, I loved the badges in CoH, but if there is going to be something similar I really hope that they are attainable in a pleasurable way.

I hated it when CoH introduced a badge for discovering a game error/glitch, and then the error had to be looked into and approved before you got it, if there are to be collectables they should all be realistically attainable by everyone playing who wants to put in a reasonable amount of effort to get them, please don't introduce something that only a handfull of players can get. You only have to look at the trophy sites for the consoles to see there are thousands of players who thrive on being able to get 100% on collectables

Also, I don,t mind a "bit" of grind for some things but I hate it when repeated monotony is required to the point when it becomes a bore. For example, in the Star Wars game you could spend hours/days/weeks on your own making millions of buff cakes to level up cooking skills at a snails pace just so you could eventually make a buff cake that was useful, or you could engage with other players by doing missions with them, there wasn,t enough hours in the day to do both, so please keep the grind stuff below insanity level.
I agree with you. All badges should be realistic to earn, and multilevel badges for the same thing be limited to three. We do not need 20 badges for for defeating a particular type of enemy.
Also, it really made me mad when COH took away my mission architect badges. I know of people exploited those badges, but I earned most of mine. I want my mission architect badges back!

Holechek

Postby Holechek » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:21 pm

I feel like there should definitely be some badges that are extremely difficult to get, but everyone can achieve them if they try hard enough.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:46 pm

I feel like there should definitely be some badges that are extremely difficult to get, but everyone can achieve them if they try hard enough.
Zookeeper- kill 10,000 monkeys. I got it. Then a few years later they lowered it to 1,000. Hated that.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Dragonnas Xavier

Postby Dragonnas Xavier » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:56 pm

I understand the sentiment of wanting everything to be "reasonably" attainable. I also understand the need for a grind. With crafting being an example that is used, I myself on Uncharted Waters Online spent months grinding certain skills going from port to port. It felt like an accomplishment when I mastered out the level. And even then, I had the option to reset it to rank 1 and start the process over again with new bonuses! While "reasonably" attainable goals are nice, there is also something very attractive about the special feeling when you complete something that takes a lot of time and focus,

brandoncomputer

Postby brandoncomputer » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:38 am

OK, one time I was logged in and witnessed some GM event or whatnot, and I earned a special title.

Although I was glad to be there, the special title, for a one time world event... I'm going to say no.

Have the events. Offer a monetary reward to the players for being there for world events, or some other consumable, "here's 1,000,000 credits, go influence the game!" but no. All rewards should be obtainable by all players. Fair is fair. Unfair isn't.

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:21 am

Well, I generally agree with the oppinion, which is being stated here, that all should be achievable for all who put there effort and mind into it.
I also had the feeling of huge frustration hearing, that there is a special piece of equipment or badge for something which was one of a kind and I couldn´t get it, because I had to be somewhere else because of work or I was on vacation (I generally do cultural travels and don´t have any computer with me) or because I just missed the info, that it will be there (or whatever reason there may be).

So my idea would be that all special event badges are for yearly intervalls (so you have a christmas badge, helloween badge, new years badge, easter badge, holiday badge or whatever you would like) - so if you miss it this year you can get it next year
And about the repeating something endlessly - I would just think about a typical stages principle like
bronce, silver, gold, platinum or
3rd to 1st Class
or military rankings if somebody cares for that (I don´t care/mind)

but I also would put a limit to it of 3 to 5 lvls of something - so that it does not end up as a neverending story so to speak ;)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Gilbegger

Postby Gilbegger » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:36 pm

I want the last level of each badge to be a GRIND...after all...we are going to be playing SOH for MANY years to come.....

We have time.

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:17 am

I agree with the OP, except one thing- beta testing and supporters should have their own badge that cannot be earned later.
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:40 am

Gilbegger you said ...
I want the last level of each badge to be a GRIND...after all...we are going to be playing SOH for MANY years to come.....We have time.
you moved my heart hearing that you would not mind a GRIND... I know now that you want ... what we achieve to have meaning
grinding brings that ...
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:05 am

Gilbegger you said ...
I want the last level of each badge to be a GRIND...after all...we are going to be playing SOH for MANY years to come.....We have time.
you moved my heart hearing that you would not mind a GRIND... I know now that you want ... what we achieve to have meaning
grinding brings that ...
I am with you two in that one - the final level should have that great finish after which you are like "Wow, I finally did it, this one is really something special!" So up to gold lvl it is the regular work and the platinum lvl takes real work :)

To the other point here - yes I think supporters and the first generation should have their own badge which is unique, but only those two are the ones, where I agree with having one of a time opportunities - the rest I am for yearly intervalls
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

zombiegod420

Postby zombiegod420 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:50 pm

I see all the archatypes you have set up. Just curious, will there be a controller class

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:00 am

I see all the archatypes you have set up. Just curious, will there be a controller class
Yes. No need to worry.
Time to let Ol' Painless out of the bag.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:16 am

To expand on Blaze's post;

Originally the dev team was planning to release 4 ATs, with Controllers and Commanders (Masterminds) coming in later patches. However, an overwhelming number of players wanted Controllers ASAP! So now they are working on the Controller AT as well. The odds are better than even that the game will release with Controllers, and even if they can't get them ready by release they will be in the first major patch.

A few caveats;

1 - They may only release with 2 or 3 Primary powersets - like I said, they were not planning to have Controllers in at release, but they were swayed by followers. So, whatever they have ready is what they will have ready.

2 - There are no plans to release any more ATs other than the six (Tankers, Brawlers, Devastators, Defenders, Controllers and Commanders) in the game description. There will not be Dominators introduced later. So don't be surprised if Controllers have 2-3 ranged attacks in their primary set.

3 - Pets will not be released until they are ready, and it is highly unlikely they will be ready at release. Much more likely that pets will be added when they introduce Masterminds. So a Controller will probably not have pets available until at least 6 months after release, if at all. Obviously this means they will not play the same as CoH Controllers, another reason why they may have ranged attacks available.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:56 pm

One of the things we've been discussing internally is whether all badges need to be achievable for a player that absolutely does not want to be on a team?

What about badges for completing task forces and similar content that require teams (there will be some)? Are we, as devs, obligated to create "easier" version for players to complete in solo mode?

We'd love to hear the community's view on this issue for badges.

Also, we've said in the past that we would like to have some badges for players who have helped new players get started, get skilled, etc. We have not done much more than declare our intent on this matter. But what does the community think would be appropriate activities to reward for this kind of community action?

Return to “General Discussion”