The best things about CoH

olepi

The best things about CoH

Postby olepi » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:38 am

Here are a few of the things that made me really enjoy CoH;

1) ease of grouping and the sidekick system -- CoH was probably the easiest and best grouping game I've ever played. It was so easy to gather up people for a PUG, and the excellent sidekick system made it easy to match people up.

2) different playstyles, including buffer/debuffer -- there are few games that came close to the buffing/debuffing setup that CoH had. If you could debuff the enemy's attack speed, recharge, resistance, and damage, you ended up not really needing a healer very much. A utility character that can't heal that well, and can't do DPS that well, could still be a huge part of a team's success. I'll never forget: "Hi, I'm a Dark/Dark/Defender. I'll be tanking tonight."

3) crowd control -- CoH had the best crowd control of any game. Knock-back, knock-down, immobilize, freeze, sleep, disorient, fear, slow, it was a blast to use all these powers. Used in conjunction with debuffing, you could turn an irate boss into a wet paper bag moving at a snail's pace.

4) travel powers -- no other game has anything like this., You could fly, run like the flash, surf, super-jump, teleport, etc, all around.

I'm sure there are a lot of other things people loved in CoH, and even some things we didn't like as much. If SoH can get these basics down, it will be a great game!
2020: 43 years on the Net.

Golden Ace

Re: The best things about CoH

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:54 am

I really think we had the best community also.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

olepi

Postby olepi » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:23 am

I really think we had the best community also.
I played 3 games in 2004: DAOC, CoH, and Ryzom. They all had great communities. That was when MMO's were new, before the Mortal Kombat kiddies came on the scene.

Ryzom has perhaps the best crafting of any game ever. In Ryzom, each ability has its own level, so you could be lvl 50 at melee, 100 at magic, and 150 at healing for example. You could play at the 50, 100, or 150 level. Almost as good as CoH's sidekick system.

CoH's fantastic grouping abilities fostered a lot of grouping and community.
2020: 43 years on the Net.

Theodrax

Postby Theodrax » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:37 pm

I agree with all the reasons listed by the OP.

I had small children when CoH was out, so I loved the ability to solo and jump in and out with minimal consequence. It was really easy to fit in a half hour 20 or 30 minute session while my kids napped. If some of my friends got ahead of me level-wise, no big deal. Just sidekick up and be good to go.

Blue Yankee

Postby Blue Yankee » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:42 pm

I agree with all the reasons listed by the OP.

I had small children when CoH was out, so I loved the ability to solo and jump in and out with minimal consequence. It was really easy to fit in a half hour 20 or 30 minute session while my kids napped. If some of my friends got ahead of me level-wise, no big deal. Just sidekick up and be good to go.
I hear you.
COH was the only game that was forgiving to a parent's schedule.

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:42 am

CoH was also the only game (as far as I remember) in which creating was so much fun - the characters looked believable realistic enough to see them in a real world but artistic enough to picture them as comic characters - it had this great 3D look with shadings, like I found in no other Hero MMORPG that way again - and in a variety which was so immens that you could create millions of characters (or at least thousands if you take good taste in colouring and clothing combinations into account ;) ).
That combined with the many variations in powers (which weren´t perfect - perfect would have been if you could have choosen them individualy - but still impressive) you could really create your one of a kind character
Unlike games like the games of DC and Marvel (I checked out both) you really had that great experience of creating your own individual character which was not in the shadow of huge legends but had the chance of creating its own legacy - so you could feel truly heroic :)

And of course I never found a game again in which you could create your own base and customize it as it was at CoH - and not just as a nice place to hang around but even with practical use too - you could build there, store there, have your teleporters there and all that combined with individual optics made variations possible which where worthy of the Creation System which was CoH :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

brawlizard

Postby brawlizard » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:23 am

Character creation was definitely one of the best aspects of coh/cov

Character concepts were why I made a billion alts which fed into my normal mmo behavior

Sentinel King

Postby Sentinel King » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:21 pm

Lots of good mentions here. The Costume Creator was indeed how I jedi mind-tricked the wife into playing. As soon as she sat down, saw the endless options, she was HOOKED. We spent a good number of years running around the City together being super. I wish I'd have shown it to her earlier!

I think the *BEST* thing about CoX for me was that there was no one SINGLE way to play. Depending on my mood and available time, CoX was always the perfect game.

If I was feeling particularly antisocial one day, I could street-sweep or run missions solo. If another day I was craving social interaction, I could run non-stop PuG ITFs or work on some Incarnate stuff. If I was feeling creative, I'd spend hours inside of AE making my own kinda fun. If i was feeling particularly happy, I'd run around low-level street-sweeping zones buffing/healing lowbies. Nothing says "I love you" to a level 3 scrapper or blaster like a fully slotted Fortitude (+ACC, +DAM, +DEF), Adrenaline Boost (+REC, +REG, +RECH) and Regeneration Aura (+REG). For 90 seconds, a low level toon could feel completely and utterly SUPER and pretty much could NOT die (with all that DEF and Regen) no matter how hard they tried.

The game was always just the game I needed at any particular time and that is always what I'll remember best.

Blue Yankee

Postby Blue Yankee » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:54 pm

Lots of good mentions here. The Costume Creator was indeed how I jedi mind-tricked the wife into playing. As soon as she sat down, saw the endless options, she was HOOKED. We spent a good number of years running around the City together being super. I wish I'd have shown it to her earlier!

I think the *BEST* thing about CoX for me was that there was no one SINGLE way to play. Depending on my mood and available time, CoX was always the perfect game.

If I was feeling particularly antisocial one day, I could street-sweep or run missions solo. If another day I was craving social interaction, I could run non-stop PuG ITFs or work on some Incarnate stuff. If I was feeling creative, I'd spend hours inside of AE making my own kinda fun. If i was feeling particularly happy, I'd run around low-level street-sweeping zones buffing/healing lowbies. Nothing says "I love you" to a level 3 scrapper or blaster like a fully slotted Fortitude (+ACC, +DAM, +DEF), Adrenaline Boost (+REC, +REG, +RECH) and Regeneration Aura (+REG). For 90 seconds, a low level toon could feel completely and utterly SUPER and pretty much could NOT die (with all that DEF and Regen) no matter how hard they tried.

The game was always just the game I needed at any particular time and that is always what I'll remember best.
I almost exclusively play superhero videogames. I like to feel like a superhero. Playing intellectual property characters from popular media is no where near as satisfying as playing the character you designed and built.
I felt super every time I played my main character. I am addicted to that feeling.

Gisrie

Postby Gisrie » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:14 pm

My favorite thing was by far the ability to fly, sure the other travel powers were cool too, but flying was amazing. I also loved the community, besides the, unfortunately, dying Champions Online, how many other MMOs have costume contests all the time? Being able to see other peoples creations was so much fun.

Now I need a time machine to go back and play my illusion controller, nostalgia is killing me.

brandoncomputer

Postby brandoncomputer » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:59 pm

My favorite thing was by far the ability to fly, sure the other travel powers were cool too, but flying was amazing. I also loved the community, besides the, unfortunately, dying Champions Online, how many other MMOs have costume contests all the time? Being able to see other peoples creations was so much fun.

Now I need a time machine to go back and play my illusion controller, nostalgia is killing me.
Exactly. I have trouble sometimes finding the words, I'll borrow yours.

Return to “General Discussion”