Control Powers

Re: Control Powers

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:42 am

While Ice (cone slow) and Fire control (targeted-aoe slow/area of denial) had OK slows, my absolute favorite slow came from Earth control. Quicksand had that great targeted-aoe cast that enabled casting from around a corner to mitigate the return alpha-strike while doing double-duty to reduce the DEF of the mobs making them easier to hit for one's teammates. While it didn't slow their attack speed (just movement), Quicksand with a follow-up of Earthquake was my go-to fight-starter for the slow, -DEF (stacking from both Sand and Quake) and -attack frequency from all the mobs flopping around due to Quake.

Almost brings tears to my eyes remembering all those good times....
thats why I brought the idea with elemental powers up :) Every element has its very own way of fun - and for your example with slowing it would pretty much work for every element too :)
Water - Ice (freezing your opponent - or friend if you like ;) )
Air - either some kind of storm or compressed air :)
Earth - Sand slowing you :)
Fire (ok that one is tricky ;) ) - could imagine a thermic field which cristallizes the dust in the air :)
(ok I admit, that is not truly fire but a combination of fire, air and earth - but fire isn´t a real element but only the visualization of heat anyway ;) )
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

olepi

Postby olepi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:52 am

I remember on my ice/ice blaster stacking ice storm, ice slick, and frost cone. That would slow the mobs down to a crawl LOL. They'd all be running at .01 mph to get out of the storm, all the while slipping and falling down. I really hope SoH can capture that fun.
2020: 43 years on the Net.

Postby Avatar PDM » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:52 am

I remember on my ice/ice blaster stacking ice storm, ice slick, and frost cone. That would slow the mobs down to a crawl LOL. They'd all be running at .01 mph to get out of the storm, all the while slipping and falling down. I really hope SoH can capture that fun.
though Ice storm should not just slow down - I think it should also do a little bit of damage
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:20 pm

though Ice storm should not just slow down - I think it should also do a little bit of damage
I agree; with small crystals of ice flying through the air.

I think we could figure out something for fire...a cage made out of flame that immobilizes for a moment, or a flame that rushes toward a target, causing them to fall to the floor to get out of the way?

Anck-Su-Namun

Postby Anck-Su-Namun » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:07 am

Confuse: Confuse is unique to CoH to my knowledge (could be wrong), and is one of the most unique and interesting control effects I've ever seen. I liked the suggestion made by someone else in this thread - the idea of enemies attacking the confused individual after being attacked. I will see and raise that idea with this: It would be fantastic if you had an intelligence probability for enemies with high enough intelligence which determined whether the remaining un-confused group members would aggro and attempt to locate the source of the confusion. This could be thwarted by a caster by having invisibility or stealth. But it would add further depth and realism for being a confusion-bearing hero - i.e. that you'd have to make a conscious decision about having stealth or invis.
The AoE confuse in CoH was very under estimated power, as a mind controller with a DDD we did on occasion duo task forces, the mobs being able to attacking back is a nice twist.

Another thing is I did not see but may have missed is a push or repel, non damaging version.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:24 am

I think we could figure out something for fire...a cage made out of flame that immobilizes for a moment, or a flame that rushes toward a target, causing them to fall to the floor to get out of the way?
That is beautiful. I love that. add 3 or 4 different kind of dodges to it so it's not the same every time and have it so they also stand there and take damage 1 in 5 chance? because they missed their savings throw. :D
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:43 am

could work but maybe instead of a flame a fire roller -
or a fireball exploding around a person and stuns it by doing that
another way of immobilizing could be if that flame would melt the ground,so that you are basically caught in molten stone :)
or like I wrote earlier before ;) the heat of your flame could cristallize the air and therefore being stuck as some kind of heated glitter (fiery look :) ) around the person who has been hit

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:33 am

A flaming fence and circling them preventing them from moving

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:02 am

A flaming fence and circling them preventing them from moving
maybe better a net?
could also work for an electro-powerset too :)

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:09 am

Even better! A net fire and electric

Love it

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:14 am

Even better! A net fire and electric

Love it
you know - creativity seen we are a good team - I like that kind of brainstorming, its like throwing a ball back and forth :)
You have ideas and I think about them adding something and vice versa :)

Thinking about it what you think about a lava fountain which coats a hero and makes him immobile while cooling down?

Oh and when thinking about Elementals I could picture an Elemental, which takes a hero into him so you basically have the hero inside the Elemental, where he cannot escape without breaking the Elemental (works for different ones too - you are coated by a green-blue creature -water by a red creature - fire by a light blue creature - air; you cant see your hero anymore - either you just got no electricity, burned your screen or it was an earth elemental ;) - no I would think about brown and green for a nature elemental :)

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:36 am

Let’s see

I have five foes in front of me (or more) I stumped my foot and out shoots five (or more) streams of lava. The lava reaches them shoot up in a fountain and encases their lower halfs in Molten stone which quickly hardens - we don’t want to burn them to death after all (unless the are villains) :D

The elemental idea is interesting.

I was thinking of a multiple personality

One personality is a blaster another personality is a tank and third personality is a defender. You get to choose the form for each of them.

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:12 am

Let’s see

I have five foes in front of me (or more) I stumped my foot and out shoots five (or more) streams of lava. The lava reaches them shoot up in a fountain and encases their lower halfs in Molten stone which quickly hardens - we don’t want to burn them to death after all (unless the are villains) :D

The elemental idea is interesting.

I was thinking of a multiple personality

One personality is a blaster another personality is a tank and third personality is a defender. You get to choose the form for each of them.
when you like the elemental idea - picture following:
a character which combines elemental powers - you could switch between a blaster class and a tank class (like Kheldians ;) )
so your blaster combines air and fire powers your tank combines earth and air powers :)
he can project focused air blasts, like little tornadoes, can blast fireballs or nets while the tank can use water and earth to build an armor or project walls (just a few basic examples of what the class could do ;) )

or instead of blaster and tank a defender and controller
uses can absorb heat (and therefore slow down and do damage) can project ice, use the earth to project shields and water to support healing or things like that :)

a combined elemental user would be so awesome with limitless possibilities in question of creativity :)

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:28 am

You got it. I was thinking of non alien Kheldians where You have control of all three forms only limited by the character creator. Male/female/alien/animal

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:22 am

You got it. I was thinking of non alien Kheldians where You have control of all three forms only limited by the character creator. Male/female/alien/animal
Yep :)
My dream, which I never could realize with CoH Concept was of creating a true Martial Artist - you know, like Batman who would throw stuff but could also fight without weapons or like Cable (or Grifter from WildStorm too ;) )who is a great Martial Artist, but also has mental powers to use, or Green Arrow who uses a Bow but also could fight without it, if it goes into close combat ... there are so many examples of Superheroes which would use a distance weapon and still could fight in an artistic or martial arts style - and I always wanted that (creating a Ninja for example - I know its getting annoying :D) . Or I created (in my own Universe) a character which is basically a Superstrength-Tank but also used a weapon; could also be Terrax from Marvel or most of the other Heralds of Galactus by the way ;)
So there are dozens of examples, why class combinations would make sense and would be an asset to the game which would make it truly special :)

By the way, I still believe the easiest (at least I hope so) way to achieve that would be by grouping all powers after classes and giving each character just a certain amount of slots for each power class and anyone could combine the powers after his own choosing.

For example Class 1: you have for example 4 powers and can choose from any kind of powerset
Hitting with a weapon, punching or kicking (different styles), simple blast (fire, ice, air, stones) etc., slowing somebody down
For Class 2: you have 4 powers - as stated above
For Class 3: you have 3 powers - as stated above
For Class 4: you have 2 powers - as stated above
For Class 5 you have 2 powers - as stated above
and so on

With that thought anyone could combine as he would want and if he chooses to start with some light distance and want to be a heavy hitter in close combat than he can be and if he wants to control everything or be the absolute healer it would be possible too :)

Return to “Announcements”