so many negative comments on Youtube

Re: so many negative comments on Youtube

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:12 am

The part about past passion being not exact is what worries me about SEGS.
why that? you fear about it not having the feeling or that people won´t accept it or that the expectations will be to high or what do you mean?
I'm talking about this game and the other successors. People not even trying because they are not exactly like CoH via SEGS.
I understand - but I believe Gilbegger is right. The parts of our community, which we want (the positive ones) will give it a try because it is what they surely are waiting for - I am positive about that :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

olepi

Postby olepi » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:18 am

It's a fundamental problem humans have. We had a great experience in the past, and now we want to repeat it.

But life doesn't do that. You can't repeat it, exactly. The amount of effort you put into trying to force the present to mimic the past, is the amount you are putting into making yourself miserable. If you apply this effort against people, trying to make them into something they're not, you are basically doing violence to them.

Instead, let's celebrate the good things in CoH (not everything was good, btw), and look to a new game coming out that is better!
2020: 43 years on the Net.

Dragonnas Xavier

Postby Dragonnas Xavier » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:04 pm

Youtube comments eh?

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:31 pm

lol
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Postby Avatar PDM » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:09 am

It's a fundamental problem humans have. We had a great experience in the past, and now we want to repeat it.

But life doesn't do that. You can't repeat it, exactly. The amount of effort you put into trying to force the present to mimic the past, is the amount you are putting into making yourself miserable. If you apply this effort against people, trying to make them into something they're not, you are basically doing violence to them.

Instead, let's celebrate the good things in CoH (not everything was good, btw), and look to a new game coming out that is better!

interesting thoughts whith which I totally agree and thank you for writing them, because it is like you said human nature not accepting that past is past and there lies a danger in it which has to be taken care of; still, though of course it is impossible to copy the past the knowledge is something to learn from. Like you said, not everything was good or perfect - and that is, what we should avoid here, but the good things should be analyzed and the essence of it should be used to perfect this one as much as possible.
About trying to apply something against people - well, doing anything "against" people is always violating them and sadly everydays routine (which I do not agree with, and also don´t want to talk it down, just stating it) it is part of our society and way of living in multiple ways and most times people do not even realize, they are doing it, anymore. The important question in that case is, how that effort is being channeled. But that effort does not necessarily needs to be felt the way you wrote it. That also can be
by trying to have a harmonic enviroment and helping people to honor the memory.
by telling everybody how superior the players from the good old days were (that for example leads down a dangerous path),
or like you stated it, by trying to redo everything and try to shape the new players to fit in the old SG Schedule and behaviour (another example of manipulating people, which would be, as you did, critizisable)
there are certainly other possibilities but I think that example shows what I mean
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:55 am

Contrary to popular opinion, I do visit other sites! :D And, I have watched the schmoo about Ship of Heroes slooooowly get better and better. It was ridiculously negative at first. But now, when a new article or video goes up on MMORPG.com, there are far more positive comments than negative. The steady progress has won a lot of people over.

And yes, there are proponents from other projects (not just superhero games, btw) that feel compelled to poo-poo on SoH every chance they get. But, these guys are finding less and less ammunition to fire as the game gets closer and closer to the supporter's beta.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:04 am

Contrary to popular opinion, I do visit other sites! :D And, I have watched the schmoo about Ship of Heroes slooooowly get better and better. It was ridiculously negative at first, and probably contributed to the failed Kickstarter. But now, when a new article or video goes up on MMORPG.com, there are far more positive comments than negative. The steady progress has won a lot of people over.

And yes, there are proponents from other projects (not just superhero games, btw) that feel compelled to poo-poo on SoH every chance they get. But, these guys are finding less and less ammunition to fire as the game gets closer and closer to the supporter's beta.
People just can't seem to get over the name. :/ at least that seems to be the biggest complaint I see.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:15 pm

Contrary to popular opinion, I do visit other sites! :D And, I have watched the schmoo about Ship of Heroes slooooowly get better and better. It was ridiculously negative at first, and probably contributed to the failed Kickstarter. But now, when a new article or video goes up on MMORPG.com, there are far more positive comments than negative. The steady progress has won a lot of people over.

People just can't seem to get over the name. :/ at least that seems to be the biggest complaint I see.
If you say it enough it becomes familiar, i don't have a problem with it anymore. I guess the people that are new are having that problem now but hopefully it will become part of the furniture.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:05 pm

You can post a video of bananas and there will be negative people whom state they hate bananas. You knew it was a banana video by the thumbnail, why post in it? WoW has many negative comments, as-well as popular moba titles. That does not stop them from running up their profits.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:04 pm

You can post a video of bananas and there will be negative people whom state they hate bananas. You knew it was a banana video by the thumbnail, why post in it? WoW has many negative comments, as-well as popular moba titles. That does not stop them from running up their profits.
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE PLANTAINS!?!?!?!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

ivanhedgehog

Postby ivanhedgehog » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:35 am

Some people have been burned in the past by games that looked promising. COT has been going at it for a long time and we havent seen what the game will look like. SOH has a timeline that is near its end and that was put up months late. VO goes off in a corner and there is nothing to really see.
We really have no idea when or if any of these will bear fruit, we have no idea when any of the dev teams will go full time. That will indicate to me that that game is for real coming out soon. As far as I know, all 3 teams are volunteer at this time. I am just waiting my time to see what happens. People get discouraged, they get overly critical. I try not to build up too much enthusiasm so as to not be disappointed. There will be plenty of time for that when we can see a game.
In the past, you didnt really see a game until it was in beta. Now we see the pre alpha stages and it looks like it will never come together. I think VO's open alpha hurts them more than helps, at least with the apparent pace they have been keeping. We dont see the actual effort it takes to put one bullet item into the patch.

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:00 am

Some people have been burned in the past by games that looked promising. COT has been going at it for a long time and we havent seen what the game will look like. SOH has a timeline that is near its end and that was put up months late. VO goes off in a corner and there is nothing to really see.
We really have no idea when or if any of these will bear fruit, we have no idea when any of the dev teams will go full time. That will indicate to me that that game is for real coming out soon. As far as I know, all 3 teams are volunteer at this time. I am just waiting my time to see what happens. People get discouraged, they get overly critical. I try not to build up too much enthusiasm so as to not be disappointed. There will be plenty of time for that when we can see a game.
In the past, you didnt really see a game until it was in beta. Now we see the pre alpha stages and it looks like it will never come together. I think VO's open alpha hurts them more than helps, at least with the apparent pace they have been keeping. We dont see the actual effort it takes to put one bullet item into the patch.
I think you are right - of course the Dev Teams want to show people that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but since it is a long tunnel, people tend to be afraid, that it won´t reach the other side but instead ends up somewher beyond (along with hopes, time and money).
That is basically the reason why I stayed silent so long here on the Ship

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:37 pm

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE PLANTAINS!?!?!?!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:55 am

I also agree with Gilbegger.

But I also think that even negative comments are interesting. In my spot I see a lot of people writing to us, and asking/ demanding things. One person wrote to me (seriously, I think) wanting to know why I had never mentioned the key, essential feature of COX -- riding your dragon over that fantasy castle and scorching your enemies with dragon fire. Then they went on to describe the COX character creator pretty accurately, and to mention Statesman.

People remember what they want to remember.

In COX, the graphics were not just as good as an Avenger's movie, they were better!

And all of those facial expressions your character could make -- classic!

And of course, the dragons. :)

Our YouTube comments are actually pretty positive. If you doubt this, take a look at some of the stuff that the Crowfall guys receive. You'll recoil back to our community feeling pretty good. There are some serious trolls on the Internet and yet teams like Crowfall remain unfazed, building one of the big, and great new MMOs.

So I guess my suggestion is this -- don't let the comments get you down. We're building something new, and very good, here at Ship of Heroes. But it may not be for everyone.

Fortunately, it does not have to be.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:00 am

Yep. You can't please everyone all of the time, nor should you try.

But... I didn't get a dragon! Where was my dragon?
All those dragonless subs - I want a refund!
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Return to “General Discussion”