Should SoH give rewards for teaming with new players as a method of making the new people feel welcome?

olepi

Re: Should SoH give rewards for teaming with new players as a method of making the new people feel welcome?

Postby olepi » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:13 am

Welcome Olepi ... and glad you mentioned " mentor stat" ...
How about a mentor stat? Based on an experience index; as you play, you increase the experience index. Even a level 1 could have a high index if they play lots of alts.
So, help a true new player, based on their low index, and you get points to allocate into something. Craft something for a low index player, get more points. etc.
In your thinking is that " mentor stat " just for that toon or for any toon on your account ??? ...

If one would roll out a low lvl toon to help another toon ( just for the alt-a-holics in us all ) would that " Mentor Stat " show on you lvl 1 toon ???
As I see it, if that thought is being put in consideration, than the mentor stat should be a general stat which is automatically with any character one person got - otherwise it would not make that much sense as your example showed so nicely :)
I imagined it as an account wide value. Otherwise, I could just create newbie after newbie and let someone "help" me, even though I already have 5 top level toons. The "mentor stat" is the true indicator of a real newbie player.

You wouldn't get much credit for helping a low level toon of a high level player. Whereas helping a low level toon of an actual new player would get you points.
2019: 42 years on the Net.

Re: Should SoH give rewards for teaming with new players as a method of making the new people feel welcome?

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:30 am

Welcome Olepi ... and glad you mentioned " mentor stat" ...

In your thinking is that " mentor stat " just for that toon or for any toon on your account ??? ...

If one would roll out a low lvl toon to help another toon ( just for the alt-a-holics in us all ) would that " Mentor Stat " show on you lvl 1 toon ???
As I see it, if that thought is being put in consideration, than the mentor stat should be a general stat which is automatically with any character one person got - otherwise it would not make that much sense as your example showed so nicely :)
I imagined it as an account wide value. Otherwise, I could just create newbie after newbie and let someone "help" me, even though I already have 5 top level toons. The "mentor stat" is the true indicator of a real newbie player.

You wouldn't get much credit for helping a low level toon of a high level player. Whereas helping a low level toon of an actual new player would get you points.
that is how I understood it and agree with it :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Blue Yankee

Postby Blue Yankee » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:47 pm

Will there be badges for mentoring/sidekicking lower level characters?

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:44 am

Will there be badges for mentoring/sidekicking lower level characters?
that is at least what most of us here are voting for :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

PaperTank

Postby PaperTank » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:33 am

Probably something else;

Like most in forums (making assumptions); I have played other MMO's to fill the CoH/CoV hole in my gaming. The one I've attuned to the most is SWTOR because of the Star Wars Label and well these days... that is mostly all there is to the game now. BUT, things I have noticed while playing are the new player promotions.
One thing they have up is subscriber perks. If you click a link from an existing subscriber for a friend to play 14 day trial and they sub during that time OR use the code while currently subbed and have not used a prior code on the account then the person who posted the link gets cumulative rewards for 'x' amount of people that use the link. While the new player gets nearly nothing at all besides a trial sub. I like and dis-like this... as it promotes favoritism towards someone who spam posts the link on the forums as well the person who is finding out about said link is already in game and simply wants to continue playing game without having to go to an exterior host to use link and then re-log into game for link to activate. IF anyone on here has ever tired to do that on a laptop or pc that doesn't handle multi-tasking well... you know the headache this causes. But I do feel that SoH could gleen some ideas from this...

I enjoy the idea about the different tier teaming reward system geared toward player usage. But if I am right in my interpretation of the question/statement on the forum and my overall feel of what Gladdog is promoting community. Like CoH, I'm sure there will be the Sidekick/Exemplar feature. Especially with the idea of playing and replaying some of your favorite missions. But to promote new player base is and has been MMO struggles for as long as they have been here. I am confident in the content that will come out from the Dev team. I already see a strong base of community and support. What I love the most as y'all did was the team building that helped me meet many new people behind avatars and make some awesome friendships.
One of my favorite things was rolling up a new toon and yelling HELP and sure enough someone from the Taxi SG was on route to assist. (I tend to monologue)... With the ideas in prior posts from account date made, in game run time, for new players and not simply a divisive level reward cap system... It will groom new community

However; there needs to be a stamp or some sort of large notice attached for new account holders to inform them not just prior to log in.. (but as annoying as it may be) in game as well... another thing I gleaned from SWTOR was people simply ignoring tutorial windows... closing command windows... and literally just focusing on smash and grab without ever reading game notices, powers, or attention banners in chat windows.
I feel that this happens in games no matter what.. much like the guy who builds something from IKEA without reading instructions then wonders why he has extra pegs, screws, and gears after he has assembled said item...

I like the halo buffer idea, a nice staple for people to know who is NEW... but I also enjoyed sitting under Atlas and talking up people only to find it was there first day of playing and me my 5 years in counting... but it only happened when I looked up their ID card and saw they had little badges, no accolades, etc... watch them in combat and see their rotation all over the place....

As much as I love the reward for new players and encourage newcomers.. I also fear the attention of false privilege this may bring to the community. Much like a person who has a Costco or Sams membership...there is a generation of gamer that feel because they pay for something.. something else should be rewarded immediately (having worked behind the counter it had a different affect on the employee vs the consumer/member). As well when something is given for a period of time then taken away... that same mindset can come into play.
I did notice this a little in CoH with the temp powers for Veteran players which I loved. Because as player who hadn't played for much time it gave me something to strive for. Also when powers were being developed for longstanding veterans to receive them first. Watching some vids I see this is already thought about.

I like the reward system idea but not as a carrot tease. Like getting loot from a mission that I may not readily use... But then want to delete the character and make a new one.. need a way to transfer that loot onto the new character. Should be implemented after X amount of time during account being active or reached a certain veteran status to trade among own account.

I hope this all makes sense.
When there's nothing to be gained, rising to the challenge at those times... is surely the mark... of a true hero!!

EVERYTHING IS FINE!....WHY?......I AM HERE!!!! :D :D :D :D

PaperTank

Postby PaperTank » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:42 am

In short; I am all for each Vet and Noob to be rewarded for teaming the first time. tiered rewards would be great for a vet who needs the extra incentive to team or roll up a new toon for teaming. As well; the temp power or smaller tier rewards for the new player that is just getting settled into the game but also help them get those precious levels
When there's nothing to be gained, rising to the challenge at those times... is surely the mark... of a true hero!!

PaperTank

Postby PaperTank » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:46 am

I also feel that the rarity of drops should tilt to length of account user vs newer players having a smaller percentage. This way they still have the chance to grab the loot but may not see what is available loot for the veteran...due to level or game time played. Also 'hopefully' will help from people trying to blow up the market on the first day.

Having capped multiple toons, I know how frustrated I got when I kept getting rare enhancers in my drops but I couldn't personally use any of them.. and when I sell them on the market I am still nowhere close to the asking price for the enhancer I need. I am not sure what steps could be taken to mitigate this, but I feel the percentage drop will definitely be beneficial

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:45 am

just since Paper Tank had that much text I just want to mention, that I would agree, that it should be possible (though I believe it will be that case anyway ;) ) to safe equipment (enhancements) somewhere in your base so that your next character can pick them up

Now back to the topic ;)
He got a point here - giving temp powers which disappear after a while always has some kind of bad taste and so I would think that either you can keep your present or there should be no present at all.
Which brings me back to my thought about badges only (and a support-aura for a real noob :) )

olepi

Postby olepi » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:19 am

He got a point here - giving temp powers which disappear after a while always has some kind of bad taste and so I would think that either you can keep your present or there should be no present at all.
Which brings me back to my thought about badges only (and a support-aura for a real noob :) )
I'd vote for some kind of small permanent bonus for helping others, not just a badge. Perhaps the badge brings an extra 1% dmg for each level of badge. Or maybe it could work like Warshades did, where as you get more in a group, they start strengthening each other. Get two people with the helper badge in a group, and the group gets some kind of bonus.

Or, if you don't get any tangible benefit, other than a badge, how about a costume part that is unique?
2019: 42 years on the Net.

Postby Avatar PDM » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:48 am

I'd vote for some kind of small permanent bonus for helping others, not just a badge. Perhaps the badge brings an extra 1% dmg for each level of badge. Or maybe it could work like Warshades did, where as you get more in a group, they start strengthening each other. Get two people with the helper badge in a group, and the group gets some kind of bonus.

Or, if you don't get any tangible benefit, other than a badge, how about a costume part that is unique?
ok the costume part could be something interesting, though I wouldn´t do it for that (maybe the badge is the costume part ;)?)

But if you talk about a permanent power extra - I see the exact problem we were talking about, that people might help not because they want, but because it is part of the lvl up concept.
The only idea, how I can picture that, would be that the extra power would be only available while helping as a newbie mentor - that would be something which would make sense again.

Just think about it that way - the (real - I take that as guaranteed) newbie would get an aura, which helps him/her regenerate faster and avoid thos max damage hits and the mentor for him/her gets your power boost (a bit) while being in a team with him/her to help ihm get through :). So basically the power up would be combined with the mentor/sidekick relationship for newbies

Vertigo Blue

Postby Vertigo Blue » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:41 pm

Hey everyone, new here and came across this thread, figured I'd toss in my 2 cents.

I vote "something else."

I agree with olepi, I think cosmetic rewards such as auras and rare costume items are always in demand...might be better than buffs or powers that wear off eventually. It's always a bummer when those fade. Either that or you get to keep power/buff rewards permanently.

As far as the mechanism to get players to interact, why not create an optional story arc/task force with a series of missions where older players need to team up with the newbies to reach some goal? Beneficial to both parties that way. I don't know how difficult that will be development-wise, but I think if theres a story arc where both the new player and the experienced player walk out with cool costume parts, buffs, powers, badges or whatever, people will want to engage. Make it a collection of goodies to earn with every mission/arc you run and you'll have repeat customers for sure.

Be sure to make the goals of the missions within the arcs simple for the newbie and fun for the experienced player, as I know that holding a new player's hand can be frustrating to some. Keep each player's tasks relevant to their respective levels in the team setting. Maybe bring the new player's hit points/damage/defense up to the higher player's level as opposed to exemplaring the more experienced player down. It will lessen the burden to the higher level player (losing powers was annoying when exemplaring...) and the newbie will feel like a boss.

I completely agree with Sentinel King, running with and buffing newbies was super fun in CoH, I used to do it too. Throw in collectable goodies and a great story to tie everything in and you've got a winner I think.

Xyrx

Postby Xyrx » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:24 pm

hrm..I'd say either no or something else. I already have that personality where I'll help someone out, new or not so don't feel I deserve something for it. Besides, how are you going to make a supergroup without helping others out?!

Return to “Polling Discussion”