Should SoH give rewards for teaming with new players as a method of making the new people feel welcome?

Blue Yankee

Re: Should SoH give rewards for teaming with new players as a method of making the new people feel welcome?

Postby Blue Yankee » Tue May 08, 2018 7:07 pm

Yes, we should get a bonus for taking new players under our wing.

Dying Breath

Re: Should SoH give rewards for teaming with new players as a method of making the new people feel welcome?

Postby Dying Breath » Tue May 08, 2018 10:39 pm

Unpopular opinion yet again. Quelle surprise.

I am not in favour of handing out extra rewards for playing with new players. Helping the newbies out to get rewards just feels wrong to my rose-coloured world - like bribing the cheerleader to go to the dance with the autistic kid. How do they feel once they stop being newbies and people aren't being rewarded for playing with them?

And who's to say when they stop being newbies? An arbitrary number of hours played will not fit all people. A player-controlled flag seems exploitable to me.

Give us the proper tools: a server-wide help channel, as well as a LFT channel; a *good* team building tool, hopefully with options for team looking for player as well as player looking for team; an optional flag to mark players as new if they so choose. Then have faith in the community (and the moderators who oversee us). You're building a game predicated on great community, and I know my fellow heroes (and probably a fair few villains) will make everyone feel welcome.

Strife3

Postby Strife3 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:40 pm

The reward system should first be like a contract, but you can turn it on and off. when you agree to take new players with you, you show up on a list. In City of Heroes I carried alot of players thru the levels to let them learn as well as explained things like how their powers work and such. with the new player help system I think there needs to be a chat system put in place so they can talk.. I have no issue helping out new players at the same time I learned in CoH There are timed you tell them how to do things and other timed let them learn and do it themselfs.

I would say every half hour you get dust, every hour, salvage, if enhancements or recipes are added put them in as two and three hour rewards.

Let me spell it out so it's easy to understand

30 Minutes: Dust
1 Hour: Dust, Salvage
90 minutes: dust x 2
2 Hours: dust x 4, Salvage. enhancment
2 1/2 Hours: 5 dust
3 hours: dust x 6. Salvage x2 Recipe

So every 30 minutes you get dust, Every hour you get Salvage, Every two hours you get enhancement, every 3 hours a Recipe

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed May 09, 2018 4:21 am

Well, I kind of think that the idea with a list, where people can put themselves who are willing on showing people around. That certainly gives new players an easier approach - so if you create your first character (and I mean only the first one, because otherwise the helper will would always have to ask if somebody is new and needs to be told everything or not - and I mean if somebody is just creating a new character and knows the ropes already, he can as well just ask for people willing to team up) you will be asked if you want a mentor or not - if you say yes a list will open, where you can see who is online and call him up. Of course the guys being on the list should have before logging in (and later in the game) the chance to cloak their name on that list for the case, that somebody maybe is already in a bigger mission with his team or is just getting online for 5 minutes to check something (I think that is important, that people who ask for a mentor are not disappointed, because they may be asking five or six people in a row if they would come along and the first one says no because he is in a team, the next one is just online to work on his base, the next just wanted to check his mails and the next wanted to work in the laboratory and so on - that would be bad news for the concept. While the ones being visible should really be available then - so much for my thoughts to that idea :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Wed May 09, 2018 12:04 pm

I have one word, but it needs to be repeated and have a scary snake thrown in..
badges badges badges badges....
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

Penniguin

Postby Penniguin » Thu May 10, 2018 11:16 am

Unpopular opinion yet again. Quelle surprise.

I am not in favour of handing out extra rewards for playing with new players. Helping the newbies out to get rewards just feels wrong to my rose-coloured world -
We may be sharing the same rose-colored glasses DB-

WE want our game to grow and thrive....we want to increase our community.....
Part of the draw and promotion of the game is for community. Rewards or no rewards we should be teaming with newbies. There is nothing worse than starting a new game and not have any players high or low level acknowledge let alone team with you. I do not spend much time in those games. Some of my best memories of CoH when I first started and other came along side and took the time to explain and show Penniguin the in's and out's of the game. Shout out to Rocky! I hope to see her some day in SoH. Don't give drops for doing what we should be doing as a growing community any way. But badges.......now that's a different story........... ;)
I am gonna need to stop for coffee before we head out for the battle. 8-)

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu May 10, 2018 11:36 am

How about if the reward was not guaranteed, but just some sort of higher probability of purple drops? It might happen or it might not.

This is not the system...I'm just speculating.

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Fri May 11, 2018 7:26 am

:mrgreen: I would like to turn this discussion on its head. :mrgreen:

This community is very civil and helpfull on its own, i for one do not need cookies to help newbies, i will gladly do it. And i think most people here will.

The main problem i see here is how to identify a newbie (compared to an oldie playing his 97. alt.). So here are my suggestions:

1) Give everybody who doesn't have lets say 20 hours played (on any char) an aura toggle power at level 1. This aura starts activated and is a visual cue for others to indicate a new player. The player can of course turn that off.

2) Give those same characters another little temp power that will grant a badge to helpfull other characters. That power has for example 3 charges (or maybe 1 charge every hour). The granted badge has a running count and can level up. So players granted that badge tons of times will have a bigger, better badge. If the badge counter exceeds 100 the player will be considered for a server guide program.

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon May 14, 2018 2:50 am

How about if the reward was not guaranteed, but just some sort of higher probability of purple drops? It might happen or it might not.

This is not the system...I'm just speculating.
For my part I stay with what I mentioned earlier and some others also stated
It should not be and does not feel right having usable benefits for being a hero (somehow I just thinking about Booster Gold in his early days). Being a hero includes helping when possible - so having a badge to show that you do something is more than enough for helping.
So for my part - no tools for that :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Echo Magnus

Postby Echo Magnus » Mon May 14, 2018 9:29 am

Should SoH give rewards for teaming with new players as a method of making the new people feel welcome?Rewards could include better drops, more dust, badges, etc.
Perhaps some of the time, but not always.

Rewards should not be such that an advantage is given to the most helpful of players -- but some encouragement to help will go a long way in assisting the community realize the best version of itself.

One of the aspects of DC Universe Online that a lot of players asked for in the forums was for it to implement the CoH systems of SideKick, etc. (didn't play CoH, so this is all I can reference).

There were a lot of new players that would struggle a bit, especially after the years passed and the game grew up. However there was no incentive for the games veteran players to help new players through the content. As the void between New players and Veteran players grew, the lack of incentive disenfranchised new players, and they'd simply leave because they were looking at 40-50 hours play just to get somewhere other players would want to join them.

I've always found that it was good to have a system where High Level Players interact with Mid Level Players, and Mid Level Players interact with Low Level Players -- However they all need to be exposed to each other. Sometimes the mere presence of a High Level player in a game gives incentive to Low Level Players to get more involved.

When DC Universe hit it's popularity peak, a lot of the top Leagues divided themselves into "Varsity" and "Junior-Varsity" Leagues (SG's in CoH I think). In this case, the Varsity League and their reputation were the incentive. The JV League was where you went "to school" and hopefully earned yourself a spot in the Varsity League, which is where end game content was being pushed by the most veteran of players.

In that example, the community made these choices on their own... However this was early on in the games life, and only came after the game had gained traction and popularity. Unfortunately this only carried the idea so far. As I originally mentioned, the gap between the top players and the lowest players grew to such that inevitably most new players did not want to cross that divide. WoW had to start handing out the first 60-90 levels free to new players just to get them to come/stick around.

So in summary, I believe their should be some incentive. Not even exclusively personal incentive, but alos Supergroup/Guild/League (etc) incentive. Perhaps the whole should benefit, so that maybe one of the staples of earning Rank/Respect within a SG/League is service to others.

Just more thoughts among many.

Echo Magnus

Postby Echo Magnus » Mon May 14, 2018 9:36 am

"snip"

I am not in favour of handing out extra rewards for playing with new players. Helping the newbies out to get rewards just feels wrong to my rose-coloured world - like bribing the cheerleader to go to the dance with the autistic kid. How do they feel once they stop being newbies and people aren't being rewarded for playing with them?

"snip"
I hear you -- but I would like to note that when a player transcends the status of Newbie, I hope by then that the human on the other side is motivated to make the rest of the climb without a need for assistance.

I strongly believe the "mid-Level" range should be a highly independent phase of the process. There must come a time where you get to know your character intimately, and without the assistance of others.

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Tue May 15, 2018 1:07 am

I would leave it as simple as; once you've reached a certain number of hours of playtime yourself, you can toggle on "mentoring" which puts you in a special chat room with new players, marks you as available for *exemping* (not sking, the point is teaching them the game at their level, not bumping them to end game stuff); while available in mentor mode, you can only party up if there is a new player in the party, and you cannot solo instance. It's literally sitting there saying "I'm dedicating this time to helping!"

Time spent in this mode can earn rewards, like badges.

Here's how I'm envisioning it; you flag mentor and relax under the statues. New player help chat is quiet, so you don't have to do anything. New player chat starts getting filled with questions, the system monitors how often you chat as well. Someone asks for help from a mentor, it will send you a party window (if more than one mentor is available, it chooses the one who's been waiting the longest). You click this window and are auto partied and exemp'ed with the new player. You also have the power to teleport directly to them, no matter where they are. While partied with a new member, your "timer" for mentoring gets a boost, maybe 20% increase.

Now, if the chat is hopping, the system assumes a lot of questions are being asked, and if you don't say anything you get removed from mentor flag and your time since last flagging is not counted. Same for if you get requests and ignore them. (however, you can choose to only chat mentor, which means no party requests and no penalty for just chatting). While you are in the party with the new player, you are immune to ignored-chat deflagging, because you are focusing on your party mate.

That's just what comes to mind for me, I'm sure this could be improved on and there are things I didn't think of that others will.
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

Major Victory

Postby Major Victory » Tue May 15, 2018 10:01 am

I think Sidekicking and/or having them join a supergroup as a junior member would cover pretty much everything needed there. Get some mentor badges for helping out a low lever character would be about all one would need.

We have had a number of mentions of parents playing COH with their children. The kids wouldn't play as much as mom or dad might and would be left behind level-wise. so sidekicking them is great in the early levels. And younger kids may or may not understand the system as well as older kids and would need lots of "mentoring" for the game.

And I recall when COH had mentoring/sidekicking there were lots of folks in the low level area who would announce that they would help out any newbies who wanted to learn the system firsthand instead of reading a guide book. I'm going on the assumption that lots of folks would do the same here.

Just give them mentor badges as a reward, so many hours as a mentor and you get a badge. So many badges and you get a new title to put over your name if you want to. Something progressive like Mentor, Wise Mentor, Great Mentor, The Legendary Mentor, The Legendary Hero Mentor being the last. Or something like that.

One thing though, I don't think Mentoring/Sidekicking should be used to raise the sidekick up to do the tougher missions in order to get greater rewards. They would just jump past all the really good low level stuff that I am sure will be in the game. Rather the Mentor should drop down so that they are only a few levels higher than the low level player and help them through the early missions and show them around the neat stuff that would be in those levels that they might not ordinarily find.

Probably what is needed is something to distinguish between sidekicking/mentoring and team ups/parterning.

Sidekicking/Mentoring should only happen with helping out low level characters. Once the characters reach the mid-levels, sidekicking would no longer be an option as these new heroes are now ready to fight as equals or near equals as the other heroes. Sort of like when Robin aged into Nightwing.

After that, they are no longer sidekicks or junior heroes but partners. Once they become Partner level, then you can have them Partner Up and raising their levels so they can participate in the higher level missions with friends and family.

So two systems. Sidekicking for low-level characters where a mentor drops their levels so that they are only a few levels higher than the sidekick. Then Partner Up for when the characters reach mid-levels and they can have their levels artificially raised up to join in the tougher missions. Or maybe Partner Up would average out the levels between the two heroes or the group of heroes. That's an idea to play around with.

TheAmazingFezz

Postby TheAmazingFezz » Tue May 15, 2018 11:40 am

Imo, this seems like it should be lower on the priority list. Focus on getting a solid game with awesome content, then add in new player bonuses later.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue May 15, 2018 11:50 am

Imo, this seems like it should be lower on the priority list. Focus on getting a solid game with awesome content, then add in new player bonuses later.
yep. everyone will be new.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Return to “Polling Discussion”