SoH Combat Alpha

brawlizard

Re: SoH Combat Alpha

Postby brawlizard » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:07 am

Yes, we're excited too. :)

In some ways, we are on the edge of our seats. We are working on solving some problems and getting some more cool stuff to show, and we are also working our way through a lot of new material. In fact, I should say that we are working on four general areas:

1. Tracking and planning for improvements based on the combat Alpha feedback. We have a growing list.
2. We're working on some bigger things in the game, like getting the map of Apotheosis City closer to final state, and on optimization issues, which never really end. But it is stuff that makes the game fun for a lot of players at the same time. this also includes infrastructure code issues that only have to be created once (as long as they work as desired).
3. We're working on "more." More costumes, more powersets, more enemies, etc.
4. We're working on adding and expanding the elements that we think will make SoH fun to play. Some of those ideas come right of these forums.

We're having fun too, just like all of you. :)
Consultant, I've heard you on most of these streams.
Are you getting enough sleep?

All of these ideas and interaction has made the last week the most exciting for us all :)

Nephthys

Postby Nephthys » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:32 am

Yeah, so sorry Eulb. I have an infection in the bone of my jaw, so the past month has been a long heavy road of serious painkillers combined with grogginess and nausea from medication. We weren't able to settle the schedule for the stream until Friday, and I posted it to my Patreon page and then immediately went to lie down for the rest of the day and evening and just completely didn't think to post it to Twitter, FB, or here. Hopefully Consultant will let me do more streaming, for those who missed it. 8-)

In regards to the targeting, yes I agree, there were issues there. What I noticed is that it wasn't immediately obvious which particular enemy you had targeted from a distance, and that while it cycled, it didn't cycle through the entire group. If the group looked like this with 3 in front and 3 behind:

A B C
D E F

Player

The target selection would cycle between the closer 3 (D, E, F). If you were facing the group at an angle, like say with F closest to you, you would then have the targeting cycle between C, E, and F. Like this:

A
D B
E C
F

Player

Since the selected mob wasn't easily determined (the selection indicator around the mob was so small and light that it was getting visually lost against the background sky), if the 3 mobs you happened to have closest to you had the same name, it felt like you weren't cycling.

What would be nice would be having minor targets displaying all the mobs that have aggro on you or your groupmates that you could target by clicking on them. Vanguard used to do this. It looked like this (It's a random screencapture of a YouTube video I found):

The top right large healthbar displays his hard target, and the little red healthbars beneath that shows all the monsters that are in combat with him. It would move those little selections around based on aggro level to you. Vanguard really had the best targeting system that I have ever seen in a game.

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:14 pm

I thought the whole run was excellent!
I know it is proof of concept at the moment but one thing did stand out if i had to find a fault. When the enemies were in between firing their weapons they looked like they were waiting for a bus.

I probably would never have noticed this if i was playing and i can't say what the enemies did in COH either. The only thing i can think of that they could be doing is cocking their weapons in between shots, but it didn't bother me, something that could be tweaked at a later date. Otherwise i was with everyone else trying to mouse the screen and clicking my buttons :)

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:17 pm

I thought the whole run was excellent!
I know it is proof of concept at the moment but one thing did stand out if i had to find a fault. When the enemies were in between firing their weapons they looked like they were waiting for a bus.

I probably would never have noticed this if i was playing and i can't say what the enemies did in COH either. The only thing i can think of that they could be doing is cocking their weapons in between shots, but it didn't bother me, something that could be tweaked at a later date. Otherwise i was with everyone else trying to mouse the screen and clicking my buttons :)
From Dirtsleeper in another thread. I had the same comment.
The AI system is going to get a complete overhaul. Currently, the AI featured in the Alpha video is just place holder.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

sensible

Postby sensible » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:05 pm

A quick video review by MMOByte

Upcoming Sci Fi MMORPG - Ship Of Heroes - Combat Alpha Update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy9afJuOChU

Dirtsleeper

Postby Dirtsleeper » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:37 pm

Here's a little video I made to attempt to better show how tab targeting currently works.

Whenever you hit tab, the system grabs all the enemies that are within range and in front of you and sorts them using an algorithm where the inputs are distance from the player and angle to the player's facing direction. The algorithm then outputs a "score" and the target with the lowest score is targeted.

You can see this in action especially near the end of the video where the targeting order changes as I move closer to the enemies. This is because of the angle increase of the two side enemies which causes the enemy towards the back to be prioritized.

https://streamable.com/q3wuj
Ship of Heroes Programmer

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:17 pm

Here's a little video I made to attempt to better show how tab targeting currently works.

Whenever you hit tab, the system grabs all the enemies that are within range and in front of you and sorts them using an algorithm where the inputs are distance from the player and angle to the player's facing direction. The algorithm then outputs a "score" and the target with the lowest score is targeted.

You can see this in action especially near the end of the video where the targeting order changes as I move closer to the enemies. This is because of the angle increase of the two side enemies which causes the enemy towards the back to be prioritized.

You're awesome. as always.

I'd like to see a melee only version. just to see it cycle through what is in range.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:45 pm

Bravo! The pace at which you all have been accomplishing these huge milestones is pretty astonishing. It looks great, especially for an early alpha version!

I'd like to volunteer some comments on the power graphic fxs and animations, since you guys are still developing them -

First of all, the fire explosion graphics look phenomenal. So satisfying. The entire street sweeper power set, actually, seems really ready and satisfying to play as.

The darkness ray graphic ends a bit abruptly, and could use a sort of trail off or fade away at the end of the beam. The plasma beam, as well. I know this is because it's early in development, but just saying so because it's an example of a graphic effect that has a subtle, but definite (and cumulative) effect on the player. The ends of all the powers should probably be looked at to make sure they're not ending abruptly. I'm sure you guys are doing that anyway.

Along the same vein, I'd really try to make character movement animations and power emissions/strikes to be "heavy", and a bit slower for some than they currently are. One thing that really contributed to the CoH magic was its absolutely stellar animations - every power felt like it had weight; even a radiation hero leaning forward to shoot a beam out of his eyes felt strong and deliberate. The weapon strikes were savage and clear. Even the radiation eye beam's leaning forward animation was not rushed - all those little movements were accounted for and seemed to be "showcased". A big issue Guild Wars 2 has, in my opinion, is rushed ability animations - the characters movements are light, and the abilities are less satisfying.

That leads me to another point - duration of abilities. Guild Wars 2 had less satisfying combat, imo, also because many of its abilities would affect enemies or the character for only a few seconds. Slow for 3 seconds? Not enough gratification. This goes for the graphics, too - Eclipse, for example, could last at least a two or three seconds longer, and would be more satisfying, I think, as a result. CoH, as we all know, had awesome, lasting visual effects for aoe debuff powers.

I'd also not be afraid to have lasting graphic effects on the character - the second Dark Magic power, the shroud, is an example of a graphic that could be extended a bit longer. It's just more fun and more satisfying, imo, to actually see this effect on a character more permanently. The same goes for self-buffs - have them change the look of the character, why not? And I'd put them on a longer cooldown to avoid the GW2 problem of having ample access to very short-term effects. I know all these details are being worked on, and it's not fair for me to critique them now - but I feel it's better now than later! No disrespect intended - I'm in awe of your guys' expertise and ability to accomplish so much.

I also have a question about the fire aoe volcanic eruption graphic - it's cool, but it's hard to understand and it takes up a lot of visual space - especially since it can be used fairly frequently atm. Are we thinking this fire power is actually causing a little eruption in the ship? Is the whole thing summoned? It doesn't matter really, but slight little inconsistencies like that are just slightly irksome. Those little things contribute more than their component parts, I think, to how the gameplay is perceived.

I'm not a huge fan of the falling flaming boulders in Rain of Fire, for a bit of a similar reason - it's just a bit harder to accept that this is actually going on in the ship. Straight pillars of fire, though, wouldn't be a problem at all, imo. And I'd make that one a longer cooldown, too.

So that's basically all I wanted to say in terms of a critique - and it's only because I personally appreciate the time spent making those animations and power graphics totally smooth, unrushed, and complete. This was one of the things I liked most about CoH, as I dont think anyone would disagree their animations and power graphics were basically all very satisfying. I think that feeling of satisfaction has a lot to do with completeness of the animation - and that has a lot to do with every part being deliberate - no part of the animation or power graphic being too quick. Animations that are a bit too quick gives some subtle discomfort because, all of a sudden, the character does not seem realistic anymore. Maybe THAT is why I found the characters in CoH so satisfying - because, due to their animations, they seemed realistic. And that was due in large part to the "heft", the "purpose" behind the animation of every movement. And that often translated to the characters moving a little more slowly.

That became rambly, apologies! But I only wish to help in however a way I can. I think the fidelity of power graphics and animations, although counted as important, can be often looked at less critically when judging an overall gameplay experience. But I think the subtleties in that department contribute much more to the player's experience than is normally considered. We are seeing them over and over again, after all :geek:

Overall, I'm just appreciative you guys are making this at all! And I continue to be super-crazy-impressed by the work you all present to us!

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:39 pm

It would be neat if heroes ran on walls, because, lets face it, heroes defy reality. The art of flying without assistance is unrealistic, and defines human logic in itself.

CoT has spider abilities and super-speed wall crawling.

https://cityoftitans.com/comment/129526#comment-129526

In one of the twitch videos, a guy shoots out some white string. Can't find it for some reason. Spider-man is not the only guy whom swings or crawls on buildings. Nor is Wolverine the only guy with claws, Vega has them.

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:34 am

I was honored to have a go at the first Alpha street sweep. I played as Green Pants power was set to Electric range. On the Second round I had a go with Meltdown power was set to Fire range.
I really like the fire power set sounds and graphics.
The electric powers is nice as well. They also seem to be a bit more powerful as I was able to agro the enemy away from the tank. Thus being the first none DEV to die and be resurrected. :roll:
I have to admit to being distracted as this was my first time in the game. Was looking everywhere. The city is sooooo coool. :D The lighting is perfect.
I just wanted to run around and look at everything. However I was cautioned it would probably end badly as there are allot of enemy mobs out there. :shock:
I had a great time!!! Can't wait for the release. I know SOH will just be getting better and better.
More thoughts later.
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:18 pm

The electric powers is nice as well. They also seem to be a bit more powerful as I was able to agro the enemy away from the tank. Thus being the first none DEV to die and be resurrected. :roll:

That is quite an honor! I motion to have a statue erected of you, or a plaque! "Here fought Galactus, known and beloved by many as Green Pants Man the Brave, first officer of The Hero Corps felled in Nagdelian assault during The First Invasions."

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Hello to you Nephthys you said ...
I have an infection in the bone of my jaw,
I hope that all will be healed soon ... you are now on my Prayer list ... sickness is not what is fun TY for all you comments and support ...
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:00 pm

That looks great, i always worked on the title above the target to know who i was aiming at

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:02 pm

Is there by any chance a list of the pc specs that were being used.
How representative was the run of the sort of processing power we would need?

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:30 pm

I was fortunate enough to be in a run. I hope to get in another run, so I could test the game on my 'old' gaming PC. If I don't get in another run, I will report how well it runs when the supporter's beta starts. BTW, the drive I include in the specs is the one the game was/ will be installed on.

i7-6700 @3.4GHz
32GB DDR4
500GB SSD
XFX RX-480 video card w/ 8GB
played at 1920X1080

The game was flawless on this system.

My other system, which is hooked to my 1080p TV in the living room;

i5-3450 @ 3.1GHz (I thought it was a 3470, but it says 3450 on the Windows System screen - I must have cheaped out at the last minute when I bought it)
16GB DDR3
256GB SSD
XFX Radeon HD 7870 w/ 2GB

I was sure the game would run exceptionally on my main system; I am far more curious how well it runs on the living room PC, and on my laptop

ACER Aspire 7750Z
i7-2660 @ 2.9GHz
6GB DDR3
640GB HDD
Radeon 6650 w/ 1GB
17.3" screen @ 1600X900
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Return to “Announcements”