A question for the Tech-savy, PC knowledgable

Locrian

Re: A question for the Tech-savy, PC knowledgable

Postby Locrian » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:27 am

Wow! Thanks for all the tips and advice! I totally appreciate it!

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:33 am

Honestly, I love having all the nice looking glowy stuff, and I am not afraid to admit it!
Damn I want a new pc now, not that there is anything wrong with mine. Always been a sucker for blue led lights.

positivegamer1

Postby positivegamer1 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:15 am

I liked Positive Gamer's build, but I would make a few adjustments.

If you are going to scrap your all-in-one system, then use the Windows license from that computer on the new one. That saves $90 right off the bat!

The SSD in the PG system is good, but you will need more space for programs very quickly. However, the only part that will transfer from your AIO system to the PG system is the hard drive. The case PG listed has two internal 2.5" bays, so you could mount both drives without buying any brackets.

However, if you cannot use the monitor in the AIO system, I would sell it for $200 and use the money to buy the Windows 10 license and a 1TB hard drive, which you should be able to find for about $40 USD. That will still leave $70 towards a new monitor. Or, you can do like I do and hook it to your TV. I sit on my recliner with the keyboard in my lap and use a wireless trackball set on the armrest!

Two other things about the PG build. The CPU comes with a cooler. It is not as good as the one PG suggested, but if you are not planning to overclock, the stock CPU heatsink/ fan is plenty. And, I am not the biggest fan of 'H' series motherboards. I prefer the 'Z' boards, which are a little more upgrade friendly and a little faster for gamers. It will cost an extra $20 or so to get a 'Z' board that is feature-wise the equivalent of the 'H' board in the PG system.

Lastly, the video card that PG listed is very good, but you can buy a GTX1050Ti 4GB card and save about $150. When the prices for video cards stabilize after Bitcoin dies, you should be able to get an 1100 series Nvidia card for a good price before SoH releases, and that 1050Ti card is plenty fast for current games, and would be just fine with SoH, so there won't be any rush to upgrade.
^All very good suggestions GladDog!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:31 am

Honestly, I love having all the nice looking glowy stuff, and I am not afraid to admit it!
Damn I want a new pc now, not that there is anything wrong with mine. Always been a sucker for blue led lights.
I want one too now. Maybe with a second or even third monitor. Have two monitors at work and I don't know how I got along with only one monitor for so long.

As soon as my son gets back from college for summer vacation I'm going to put him to work. :D
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Kelha

Postby Kelha » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:10 pm

Nothing constructive to contribute just wanna throw in there I'm running dual monitors on my current gaming PC with a laptop right next to them. I was in the same boat when I got a taste of dual monitors at work and had to come home and make it happen and now I can never go back to just one. Extremely confident I'll be able to run SoH easily on this computer, but I still have plans to build newer better one as soon as I can just for fun.

Mandu

Postby Mandu » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:05 pm

I suggest looking on Craigslist in your area. Hardcore gamers are constantly upgrading and usually consider anything less than absolute top of the line to be complete junk. They won't usually reuse parts from their systems because the ram will be tooooooooo slow, the processor garbage, and the gpu a slug. The actual translation into normal person speak is that the system is a year or two old.

Systems that are a couple years old will go cheap and will still kick the ass of most that you would build yourself in that price range.

You probably can actually build a much better system for that price (I have several times) but it involves watching the weekly sales of your local computer parts stores (I prefer Frys) and buying individual parts as they go on sale. You will see sales where a motherboard will drop below half of it's usual price and the same with all other components. The only thing that almost never has a big discount is gpus. Their price only drops after the next generation model is released. So for the best self build you need patience.

So look in Craigslist and compare what you see there to what you think you would be able to assemble.

Locrian

Postby Locrian » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:14 am

What do you think of this build? I took what you gave me and changed a couple things around. I want a more powerful video card but prices are crazy. Ive been doing some research and i think all these parts are compatible..... i dont know for sure though. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2V7PxG

I am looking to buy/build a new PC, specifically for gaming.
I've never been much of a PC gamer, so my knowledge is basic at best.
I've done some research and a lot of people say that now is a bad time to build a PC: Something to do with Cryptocurrency....... So
I have a couple questions.

1. Below is a Link to the current computer I own. Its an All-in-one HP Envy. This might be a silly question, but are there any Parts that I could salvage and put towards a Gaming Desktop? Or would I be better off selling it for $200 (the best offer I got) and putting the $200 towards an all new Desktop?

https://www.amazon.com/HP-ENVY-27-p014- ... B0176GNTU8

2. Would I be better off building my own PC, or just buying something that is Pre-built?

Any suggestions are helpful!
Thanks!!!!
Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can salvage from an All-in-One computer to help with your custom build. You could potentially use the ram, but it most likely uses laptop ram. I would highly recommend if you have the funds to do an Intel build. You will get way more performance for your money. Only go with AMD if you are trying to save money, but if you take that route go with the Ryzen CPU.

I'm not trying to sound "cool" but i've been the lead tech at a local computer store where I live for the past 8 years. So what i'm getting at is if you have questions let me know! :) I build custom builds all day for a living. (Not always as fun as it sounds!) Lol

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:27 am

I can save you about $200 on that price!

EVGA is pissed about the bitcoin miners and are reserving a good portion of their Nvidia video cards to sell one at a time on their website. This is a fast GTX1050 TI @ $239, plus they have a 90 day step up policy - if you want to upgrade your card within 90 days of purchase, you only pay the difference in price between the cards + shipping. If you get on the auto-notify, they will let you know when they are back in stock. But get one RIGHT AWAY when you get the notification! Right now this is the only place to get a reasonably priced Nvidia card. They run out very quickly, usually within 10 minutes. That will save you about $120.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.a ... P4-6253-KR

Also, ASUS is owned by Gigabyte. Gigabyte boards work great, and are a lot cheaper. This one would work very well. It will save you about $80.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6813128974
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Locrian

Postby Locrian » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:49 am

Thanks GladDog! I have a couple questions. I like the Wifi option on the motherboard, where i live it would be a pain to run a cable. Would it be better to go with an alternative for Wifi? Like usb Wifi or something?

Also, my plan is to buy the parts over the course of the next 6 or so months. Would it be better to wait on the video card and see what becomes available, or if there are price drops? Ideally in the long run i would like a beefy graphics card, like gtx1080 or something close to it. Im willing to pay, just not willing to pay $1,000 for it right now.
I can save you about $200 on that price!

EVGA is pissed about the bitcoin miners and are reserving a good portion of their Nvidia video cards to sell one at a time on their website. This is a fast GTX1050 TI @ $239, plus they have a 90 day step up policy - if you want to upgrade your card within 90 days of purchase, you only pay the difference in price between the cards + shipping. If you get on the auto-notify, they will let you know when they are back in stock. But get one RIGHT AWAY when you get the notification! Right now this is the only place to get a reasonably priced Nvidia card. They run out very quickly, usually within 10 minutes. That will save you about $120.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.a ... P4-6253-KR

Also, ASUS is owned by Gigabyte. Gigabyte boards work great, and are a lot cheaper. This one would work very well. It will save you about $80.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6813128974

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:31 pm

IF you are going to accumulate the parts, I would highly recommend getting the video card last. CPU prices don't drop very quickly; even an outdated CPU stays close to the same price as the cutting edge equivalent for a very long time. Vids, on the other hand, change so quickly, and stores dump their product ASAP when a new generation is getting released. Once the bitcoin thingy goes away, you should have a lot of current gen product to pick through at reasonable prices.

The onboard video with the CPU is adequate for most things. It is a little sub-par with gaming, but you can still play most games at minimum settings with it.

On board WiFi drives the price of motherboards WAY up - way faster than it should IMO. You can get a USB wifi device for under $10 from Newegg. Once I bought 3 of them on clearance for a total of $8 shipped to my house!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

positivegamer1

Postby positivegamer1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:20 pm

What do you think of this build? I took what you gave me and changed a couple things around. I want a more powerful video card but prices are crazy. Ive been doing some research and i think all these parts are compatible..... i dont know for sure though. 

I am looking to buy/build a new PC, specifically for gaming.
I've never been much of a PC gamer, so my knowledge is basic at best.
I've done some research and a lot of people say that now is a bad time to build a PC: Something to do with Cryptocurrency....... So
I have a couple questions.

1. Below is a Link to the current computer I own. Its an All-in-one HP Envy. This might be a silly question, but are there any Parts that I could salvage and put towards a Gaming Desktop? Or would I be better off selling it for $200 (the best offer I got) and putting the $200 towards an all new Desktop?

https://www.amazon.com/HP-ENVY-27-p014- ... B0176GNTU8

2. Would I be better off building my own PC, or just buying something that is Pre-built?

Any suggestions are helpful!
Thanks!!!!
Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can salvage from an All-in-One computer to help with your custom build. You could potentially use the ram, but it most likely uses laptop ram. I would highly recommend if you have the funds to do an Intel build. You will get way more performance for your money. Only go with AMD if you are trying to save money, but if you take that route go with the Ryzen CPU.

I'm not trying to sound "cool" but i've been the lead tech at a local computer store where I live for the past 8 years. So what i'm getting at is if you have questions let me know! :) I build custom builds all day for a living. (Not always as fun as it sounds!) Lol
I can 2nd GladDog's opinion on the motherboard. Where I work we pretty much exclusively use Gigabyte motherboards and they are great! USB wifi devices work just as good as any on board set up and it's an inexpensive alternative. Definitely purchase the GPU last as the prices should start to drop later this year *fingers crossed* The 1050ti is a pretty good card.

Locrian

Postby Locrian » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:26 am

Ok I trust you guys! As long as there's some cool LED lights I'll be happy :D i like the Z270 K5 board, however I've been putting some thought into it....I will probably have this PC for a long time, which makes me want to up my budget a few $100's. I mean... this is what credit cards are for right!

Can you guys take a look at this build and tell me what you think?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KMn7YT

I would probably go with a GTX 1080 whenever there is a price drop of course. Hope I'm not being a hassle! i just want to make sure I get something that works correctly and makes sense!
Thank you guys!

I can 2nd GladDog's opinion on the motherboard. Where I work we pretty much exclusively use Gigabyte motherboards and they are great! USB wifi devices work just as good as any on board set up and it's an inexpensive alternative. Definitely purchase the GPU last as the prices should start to drop later this year *fingers crossed* The 1050ti is a pretty good card.

positivegamer1

Postby positivegamer1 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:25 pm

Ok I trust you guys! As long as there's some cool LED lights I'll be happy :D i like the Z270 K5 board, however I've been putting some thought into it....I will probably have this PC for a long time, which makes me want to up my budget a few $100's. I mean... this is what credit cards are for right!

I would probably go with a GTX 1080 whenever there is a price drop of course. Hope I'm not being a hassle! i just want to make sure I get something that works correctly and makes sense!
Thank you guys!

Looks good to me! Let's start building it! :)

Locrian

Postby Locrian » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:51 pm

Awesome! Much appreciated!!

Thank you guys!

Looks good to me! Let's start building it! :)

Wolfshadw

Postby Wolfshadw » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:44 pm

I know I'm late to the party here but some vendors (Newegg, Amazon, Microcenter if you have one nearby) are offering high-end graphic cards at or near MSRP if you purchase it with the other core components (CPU/Motherboard/RAM). They're pissed about crypto-miners as well.

However, given your budget and if I were building, I'd probably look at something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($188.90 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($71.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($183.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($134.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.79 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GT OCV1 Video Card ($334.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($45.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1177.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-20 16:44 EST-0500

-Wolf sends

Return to “General Discussion”