A question for the Tech-savy, PC knowledgable

Locrian

A question for the Tech-savy, PC knowledgable

Postby Locrian » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:26 pm

I am looking to buy/build a new PC, specifically for gaming.
I've never been much of a PC gamer, so my knowledge is basic at best.
I've done some research and a lot of people say that now is a bad time to build a PC: Something to do with Cryptocurrency....... So
I have a couple questions.

1. Below is a Link to the current computer I own. Its an All-in-one HP Envy. This might be a silly question, but are there any Parts that I could salvage and put towards a Gaming Desktop? Or would I be better off selling it for $200 (the best offer I got) and putting the $200 towards an all new Desktop?

https://www.amazon.com/HP-ENVY-27-p014- ... B0176GNTU8

2. Would I be better off building my own PC, or just buying something that is Pre-built?

Any suggestions are helpful!
Thanks!!!!

Golden Ace

Re: A question for the Tech-savy, PC knowledgable

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:34 pm

I am not tech savy, but I do know this.

Cheaper to build

My son built mine for a lot less than what I could have bought one of similar specks he's off at Virginia Tech but I can forward your question to him if you want.

how much are you willing to spend?
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:44 pm

Are any of the components accessible?
With a tower you can upgrade the parts quite easily. If you think you can get some cash for your pc then i would sell it.

You can pick up a second hand gaming tower from ebay which would save some money and would be a good place to start. Or pick up a second hand complete gaming pc and upgrade the cpu, gpu and memory and power supply if it is not powerful enough.

Of course if you have £700/$1000 then you can get a pre-built one, but even at this price the main components will not be the latest spec but still pretty good.

Building a pc takes time if it is your first one, but its not hard if you do some research. Youtube vids are good and make plan of all the parts you need before you start.

I have to support the family pc's and the kids ones need upgrading on a regular basis. At Christmas i got a prefigured mother board with installed cpu that just plugged in, no messing around with the bio. That was exceptionally easy.
Just need to remember to re-register it with Microsoft as they class a motherboard as a large hardware change.

Locrian

Postby Locrian » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:01 pm

Cheaper to build

My son built mine for a lot less than what I could have bought one of similar specks he's off at Virginia Tech but I can forward your question to him if you want.

Thanks for replying Golden Ace

If you could forward it to him it would much appreciated! my budget would be around $1,200

Thank You!

Locrian

Postby Locrian » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:17 pm

Are any of the components accessible?
With a tower you can upgrade the parts quite easily. If you think you can get some cash for your pc then i would sell it.

You can pick up a second hand gaming tower from ebay which would save some money and would be a good place to start. Or pick up a second hand complete gaming pc and upgrade the cpu, gpu and memory and power supply if it is not powerful enough.

Of course if you have £700/$1000 then you can get a pre-built one, but even at this price the main components will not be the latest spec but still pretty good.

Building a pc takes time if it is your first one, but its not hard if you do some research. Youtube vids are good and make plan of all the parts you need before you start.

I have to support the family pc's and the kids ones need upgrading on a regular basis. At Christmas i got a prefigured mother board with installed cpu that just plugged in, no messing around with the bio. That was exceptionally easy.
Just need to remember to re-register it with Microsoft as they class a motherboard as a large hardware change.
Thanks for replying Turtlesandwich!

Im not sure what is accessible and what isn't. I havent actually taken anything apart yet, for fear that i might ruin something. I have checked out some videos on how to build a desktop. My budget would be about $1,200. Do you think it would be better to build one?

positivegamer1

Postby positivegamer1 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:24 pm

I've done some research and a lot of people say that now is a bad time to build a PC: Something to do with Cryptocurrency....... So

1. Below is a Link to the current computer I own. Its an All-in-one HP Envy. This might be a silly question, but are there any Parts that I could salvage and put towards a Gaming Desktop? Or would I be better off selling it for $200 (the best offer I got) and putting the $200 towards an all new Desktop?

2. Would I be better off building my own PC, or just buying something that is Pre-built?

Thanks!!!!
Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can salvage from an All-in-One computer to help with your custom build. You could potentially use the ram, but it most likely uses laptop ram. I would highly recommend if you have the funds to do an Intel build. You will get way more performance for your money. Only go with AMD if you are trying to save money, but if you take that route go with the Ryzen CPU.

I'm not trying to sound "cool" but i've been the lead tech at a local computer store where I live for the past 8 years. So what i'm getting at is if you have questions let me know! :) I build custom builds all day for a living. (Not always as fun as it sounds!) Lol

Weylor

Postby Weylor » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:11 pm

Cheaper to build

Thanks for replying Golden Ace

If you could forward it to him it would much appreciated! my budget would be around $1,200

Thank You!
If you have $1,200 to put into a new PC I would highly recommend building a computer. If you find the right time to buy (like during a sale), building a computer with that much would be the equivalent of a pre-built computer for around $1,600 to $2,000 depending.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:24 pm

I think that you would be better off buying something someone else assembled for you. For several reasons...

If you have never built a system, it is pretty intimidating. I can assemble a system in a little over an hour from boxed parts, but I've built about 300 over the years. My first one took over 4 hours and I refused to turn it on until my tech geek friend came over and graded my work. I got a C-. He had to fix a few things, but it worked!

Dealers get a much better deal on Windows than you can. That saves some cash that is invested in other parts.

The system is tested and warrantied. You won't have to do a thing to it for a year if there is a problem, other than get it to the manufacturer.

Store made machines almost invariably look cooler than anything you can assemble if you are a novice.

Here is a machine I liked that should play SoH very, very well, Currently selling for $919. It meets all of my criteria; It has plenty of RAM, a good video card, a strong CPU that will perform well for years, an SSD, and it has lot of pretty flashy lights. :mrgreen: :lol: Honestly, I love having all the nice looking glowy stuff, and I am not afraid to admit it! One of the best things about this is that the video card can be replaced easily when the next gen vids are released.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6883102097
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Locrian

Postby Locrian » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:32 pm

Thanks!!!!
Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can salvage from an All-in-One computer to help with your custom build. You could potentially use the ram, but it most likely uses laptop ram. I would highly recommend if you have the funds to do an Intel build. You will get way more performance for your money. Only go with AMD if you are trying to save money, but if you take that route go with the Ryzen CPU.

I'm not trying to sound "cool" but i've been the lead tech at a local computer store where I live for the past 8 years. So what i'm getting at is if you have questions let me know! :) I build custom builds all day for a living. (Not always as fun as it sounds!) Lol
Thanks PositiveGamer!
What parts would you recommend for an Intel build? for around a $1,200.00 budget?
thanks again!

Locrian

Postby Locrian » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:52 pm

I think that you would be better off buying something someone else assembled for you. For several reasons...

If you have never built a system, it is pretty intimidating. I can assemble a system in a little over an hour from boxed parts, but I've built about 300 over the years. My first one took over 4 hours and I refused to turn it on until my tech geek friend came over and graded my work. I got a C-. He had to fix a few things, but it worked!

Dealers get a much better deal on Windows than you can. That saves some cash that is invested in other parts.

The system is tested and warrantied. You won't have to do a thing to it for a year if there is a problem, other than get it to the manufacturer.

Store made machines almost invariably look cooler than anything you can assemble if you are a novice.

Here is a machine I liked that should play SoH very, very well, Currently selling for $919. It meets all of my criteria; It has plenty of RAM, a good video card, a strong CPU that will perform well for years, an SSD, and it has lot of pretty flashy lights. :mrgreen: :lol: Honestly, I love having all the nice looking glowy stuff, and I am not afraid to admit it! One of the best things about this is that the video card can be replaced easily when the next gen vids are released.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6883102097

Thanks GladDog! I'm not opposed to buying something Pre-built, so I will definitely look into that! And most of my pc gaming will be on SoH, I remember playing CoH on my parents old Dell and the graphics were terrible(but i still had tons of fun), haha, So my worry was with the video card but if it can be replaced down the line then there shouldnt be any issues!

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:09 pm

There was a Minimum hardware thread in the Off Topic section. That might help.
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:24 pm

looks like you're getting plenty of help Locrian, and that looks like a nice system that GladDog posted.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:39 pm

Locrian welcome and your post was welcome...
I am looking to buy/build a new PC, specifically for gaming.Any suggestions are helpful! Thanks!!!!
I to will be building a system this year anticipation of the launch of the " Ship " My only advice to you is what ever you do jump ahead of the curve and go with a i7 quad core or better ... and definitely go with a SSD its worth all the money

I build 2 computers for Penniguin and I early 2016 and It has a "i5 duel processor " ... atlas now its beginning to become out dated only 2 years later.
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

positivegamer1

Postby positivegamer1 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:02 am

Thanks!!!!

Thanks PositiveGamer!
What parts would you recommend for an Intel build? for around a $1,200.00 budget?
thanks again!
Here's a link to a build I threw together for you on pcpartpicker.com: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dnx7r7

This is $100 over your budget (darn Windows license!) but I just wanted to give you an idea of what I would consider a pretty solid, future ready intel computer. The biggest thing I can stress is spend some extra money on your core components. That way you can easily upgrade easier things in the future like your ram, gpu, etc... What I like about this website is you can play around on it. Lower the ram to 8GB and see how it affects the price or bump that gpu down to a 1050ti. It will also let you know which parts are compatible with each other (and it's usually pretty accurate!) Hope this helps a little! I tend to over due these things because I LOVE building new machines, lol.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:57 am

I liked Positive Gamer's build, but I would make a few adjustments.

If you are going to scrap your all-in-one system, then use the Windows license from that computer on the new one. That saves $90 right off the bat!

The SSD in the PG system is good, but you will need more space for programs very quickly. However, the only part that will transfer from your AIO system to the PG system is the hard drive. The case PG listed has two internal 2.5" bays, so you could mount both drives without buying any brackets.

However, if you cannot use the monitor in the AIO system, I would sell it for $200 and use the money to buy the Windows 10 license and a 1TB hard drive, which you should be able to find for about $40 USD. That will still leave $70 towards a new monitor. Or, you can do like I do and hook it to your TV. I sit on my recliner with the keyboard in my lap and use a wireless trackball set on the armrest!

Two other things about the PG build. The CPU comes with a cooler. It is not as good as the one PG suggested, but if you are not planning to overclock, the stock CPU heatsink/ fan is plenty. And, I am not the biggest fan of 'H' series motherboards. I prefer the 'Z' boards, which are a little more upgrade friendly and a little faster for gamers. It will cost an extra $20 or so to get a 'Z' board that is feature-wise the equivalent of the 'H' board in the PG system.

Lastly, the video card that PG listed is very good, but you can buy a GTX1050Ti 4GB card and save about $150. When the prices for video cards stabilize after Bitcoin dies, you should be able to get an 1100 series Nvidia card for a good price before SoH releases, and that 1050Ti card is plenty fast for current games, and would be just fine with SoH, so there won't be any rush to upgrade.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Return to “General Discussion”