Weather Logic in the Ship (of Heroes) and other ideas

Weylor

Weather Logic in the Ship (of Heroes) and other ideas

Postby Weylor » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:37 am

So, I think I remember hearing that SoH wasn't going to incorporate weather into the city, at least not at launch. I hope they do, at least eventually. The reason is because people living on the ship would need to feel like they aren't living on a ship. Think of The Truman Show. In SoH, the 'sun' is just an illusion but with such advanced technology there should be weather, natural or created. Since there is water around the city, clouds are easily justified...like real clouds, not pictures like the sun. Clouds cause rain, but even if this wasn't possible, the ceiling of each level could be riddled with holes that could mimic rain to the section below it. And will it be sunny 24/7? or will there be night time since light is 100% controlled?

I just think the more diversity in the game the better. That makes me think of other things the humans on the ship would want/need, like one level of the ship could be for outdoor recreation, mountains and cliffs and caves, etc etc etc, for rock climbing, camping, exploring, etc. I'm sure if would get old to be stuck on one level of the ship your whole life, which is like 1 square mile?

There could also be a level that is like 90% underwater for new plant and animal species discovered while travelling in space. This opens up a lot of new lore and story lines and potential.

One level might be a condemned level, like the first level ever built that is now in ruins and deserted, but something survived and has infested the level.

JestersGhost

Re: Weather Logic in the Ship (of Heroes) and other ideas

Postby JestersGhost » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:27 am

Weather is planned, but it's unfortunately a way down the priority list and will take some time. A day/night cycle is already planned, and might actually even be implemented by this point.

As to the other levels, others have asked for an aquatic level, so it may well happen :) And there's at least some areas of the ship taken over and controlled by the Promethean enemy faction, which may well end up looking very much worse for wear.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:58 am

JestersGhost is right. We'd love to add weather, even if it is just occasional snow or rain. But it has to wait for later.

Later levels will be quite varied. And aboard ship, people would naturally visit other levels for recreation and for work. And since we are aboard a ship, the population can also land and have adventures (and recreation) on the planets that the ships visits.

In a way, it is sort of like living in a single suburb. You can get to the other nearby suburbs pretty easily, and occasionally, you can visit some more distant attraction.

Solari

Postby Solari » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:35 am

I really hope there's a rainforest style level which acts as the "lungs" of the ship :) That could be awesome and you'd definitely forget you're aboard a ship underneath the canopy and running through the mist!

Weylor

Postby Weylor » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:25 am

Perfect responses, thank you! I had a feeling I wouldn't be let down =D

Healy

Postby Healy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:02 pm

I've just started tinkering with the new game Astroneer and on the first planet I landed and started exploring, periodic windstorms whip up and if not careful, can blow your stuff around/away. I quickly learned that I can hide behind a tree or dig a hole and hide in there to reduce the impact....the concept is pretty interesting where weather can whip up, cause a little ruckus and then pass. Maybe something like that could occur (at some time in the development pipeline) where a weather disturbance or a tornado-boss, or something occurs that just is random and temporarily discombobulating!

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:40 am

This would work when visiting different planets, travel powers affected etc.
Flying into a head wind slows you down, while flying downwind doubles your speed. Super jump landing becomes unpredictable while SS makes you swerve into things.

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:05 am

A villain or villain group could also sabotage the weather system to send tornados, blizzards, horrible heat waves, etc. So much villain potential in our setting - the ship supercomputers could be sabotaged, reprogrammed, and all sorts of strange, wonky things could happen!
Holographic malfunctions... !

Return to “General Discussion”