When did you feel most "Heroic" in CoH?

Golden Ace

Re: When did you feel most "Heroic" in CoH?

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:02 pm

Defeating the first named villain. Only one I can really remember was Frostfire.
I think most people remember him because of the difficulty, but the do-ability at the same time. it was a low level so everyone had to go through him, many of us did the mission many many times on different characters. once in the mission you had several tough bosses before you got to him. as I recall you had to defeat them before proceeding onward. so there was no skipping ahead. all in all it was a very well designed mission. your entire team would level at least once. several would level a couple of times by the time the mission ended.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:23 pm

Also if you where at that level you got so many team invites for frost fire. I think i did that mission about 6 or 7 times in a row with different teams.
Last edited by Turtlesandwich on Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manchine

Postby Manchine » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:26 pm

Defeating the first named villain. Only one I can really remember was Frostfire.
I think most people remember him because of the difficulty, but the do-ability at the same time. it was a low level so everyone had to go through him, many of us did the mission many many times on different characters. once in the mission you had several tough bosses before you got to him. as I recall you had to defeat them before proceeding onward. so there was no skipping ahead. all in all it was a very well designed mission. your entire team would level at least once. several would level a couple of times by the time the mission ended.
There is 4 total I actually remember. The Forstfire one. The MegaMech Cometh this one is on Stirgo Island. The Fall of the Clockwork King, this was another LONG one. FIghting the Clockwork King at the end was fun. Finally Time's Arrow because heroes and villains could team up and fight this one.
Check out my Super hero comic at www.globaldefenseforce.net its a real comic that started out as a web comic from city of heroes.

Also check facebook out #GlobalDefenseForceBoardGame for a board game where you can make your own characters.

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:51 pm

There is 4 total I actually remember. The Forstfire one. The MegaMech Cometh this one is on Stirgo Island. The Fall of the Clockwork King, this was another LONG one. FIghting the Clockwork King at the end was fun. Finally Time's Arrow because heroes and villains could team up and fight this one.
Probably all of you CoH players can make the connection, but those are the actual titles of three TF's: Ernesto Hess, Synapse, and Imperious. I'm a little surprised that Synapse makes this list, because I found it to be an ungodly long slog through mostly similar missions. I still remember it quite fondly, since the Babbage ambush is what hooked me on the game for good. Also because I was running with a team of five defenders who were snubbed from the popular teams (rad/rad, dark/dark, storm/dark, kin/elec x 2). I miss the all defender teams :(

Just going to throw out another all defender team: STF. I recall walking down the ramp to face the Inner Circle while whistling the theme to the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Pull? Nah, we got this. I think we were running at over 100% defense, with some decent resists, unlimited endurance, and close to the damage cap. Good times.

Healy

Postby Healy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:23 pm

I believe I had two types of heroic feelings experienced... I was typically a healer for the teams I played with.....and I would be totally focused on doing my job....I felt most heroic when I was healing, teleporting people to me and reviving them if I couldn't protect them and basically spending my own energy on healing, not attacking. If i didn't use any other powers but healing, reviving, and buffing and we were going nuts in a mission....it just was me focusing how I could best add value.

On another note, the players behind the toons were people...and people that had stuff going on in their lives....when we played together for months or years and someone had a bad day, they would chat about it. Many times we would not even worry about any missions, we would go find a fun or hidden place to hang out and private chat to help a friend work through an issue with a boss, a spouse, a friend, a parent, or whatever (in real life). I guess I am a good listener, and can help people think through some alternative approaches to getting either their head in a good frame of mind, or at least identify a strategy on how to approach someone in real life in a new way, to help resolve an issue or difference, or miscommunication that may have occurred. I guess that may sound weird to some, but I see it as a small form of 'feeling heroic" when you can help someone with a challenge....in their mission, or in their life if desired. I never went around prying into people's business or telling people what to do....but if the conversation went there and I had some experiences that could help them... we chatted about it. IT made online and team relationships stronger and it allowed for true fun and true collaboration....not just plowing down some baddies for XP.

hope that's not too sappy :)

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:35 pm

On another note, the players behind the toons were people...and people that had stuff going on in their lives....when we played together for months or years and someone had a bad day, they would chat about it. Many times we would not even worry about any missions, we would go find a fun or hidden place to hang out and private chat to help a friend work through an issue with a boss, a spouse, a friend, a parent, or whatever (in real life). I guess I am a good listener, and can help people think through some alternative approaches to getting either their head in a good frame of mind, or at least identify a strategy on how to approach someone in real life in a new way, to help resolve an issue or difference, or miscommunication that may have occurred. I guess that may sound weird to some, but I see it as a small form of 'feeling heroic" when you can help someone with a challenge....in their mission, or in their life if desired. I never went around prying into people's business or telling people what to do....but if the conversation went there and I had some experiences that could help them... we chatted about it. IT made online and team relationships stronger and it allowed for true fun and true collaboration....not just plowing down some baddies for XP.
Sadly CoH was the only MMO where I had similar experiences. the community for the most part was wonderful. I along with most of us here miss it greatly.
Not at all. Thanks for sharing. It is appreciated.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Locrian

Postby Locrian » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:38 pm

I know it sounds funny, but one of the things that made me feel the most heroic was the amazing music that comes on when you are making your hero. It was triumphant and just gave this feeling that I was about to save the world. Music is so important in games, i really hope SoH nails it! (Oh and not to mention getting my first travel power and cape, that felt pretty heroic!)

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:12 am

That really is heroic!

Solari

Postby Solari » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:19 am

<snip>
Please tell me you had a toon called "Agony Aunt" :D

Or "Auntie Agony" could be fun too. :lol:

Healy

Postby Healy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:22 pm

<snip>
Please tell me you had a toon called "Agony Aunt" :D

Or "Auntie Agony" could be fun too. :lol:
I did not have any aunts! or uncles!....but as I think about it a couple in that direction come to mind (looking forward) may be:
Uncle Knuckle - a downright strong fisted damage dealer.
Uncle Caesar (with his sidekick Cornelius) making Caesar a monkey's uncle (if you are a planet of the apes follower), and a monkey himself) - A silly goof with a minor social anxiety due to a very hairy back.

Red5

Postby Red5 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:11 am

Heroic you ask....

To be honest, I was playing Doc Wagon Empathy/Radiation Defender. There was days I had short game play time and would log him on and just port around to zones helping street sweepers out...random bufs and heals. Even helping folks get around the zone by teaming and teleporting them to locations.

There was one particular time that was kinda embarrassing. I called out in chat to let the PuG know my buff powers where on cool down. But what I said was buffs are charging or some such thing. They all paused because they thought I was saying, 'If you want a buff you have to pay me for it' and lol half of them were very much prepared to pay. I quickly rectify the meaning and we all got a chuckle out of it.

Now if you was asking the Time I felt most Super.... Most Characters pre ED honestly. Part of the fun was putting thought into costume, background, and powers and seeing them in action and evolve to fruition...ultimately even after ED and purple patch I still felt SUPER, all be it not as I once was.
...reporting in.

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:16 am

Shortly before NC Soft killed CoH I was part of a hero group which worked together like a well-oiled machine. Everybody knew without any real communication what he/she had to do and so one took out the blasters, the next one took the fighters and so on. Me, I was the one in the background who took care that everyone stayed alive, healed gave auras and stuff like that. Being part of a team like that (sometimes nearly killing myself by passing on my own energy, so that the front fighters could do their job) that was a great and heroic feeling :D
I loved being a healer in any aspect anyway helping whenever and wherever I could

But I don´t know if you guys ever thought about it, but it was kind of a heroic feeling too, to create those heroes. I for my part always took my time to create a origin, which I included in the creation why my hero fought, where his powers came from and stuff like that (as a kid I already loved creating super-hero comic characters and with writing for my own that gave also a great feeling to it)
Last edited by Avatar PDM on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:27 am

That really is heroic!

That is what I loved about our community! We did that in our team too! team-colleagues talked to me about their relationships or working issues and I told them about mine - yes I can relate to that!
Sometimes we just been online in our team base and chatted.
We even created our own Story (I started writing a book about our team - another member made a theme song - like our own soundtrack! and we talked about all that - was great fun too!
I really hope we will get that kind of feeling back in Ship of Heroes - and that this time no profiteer will kill it without a thought (though I have my hopes up since this team here seems to have their hearts in it!
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Return to “General Discussion”