When did you feel most "Heroic" in CoH?

Zagadka

Re: When did you feel most "Heroic" in CoH?

Postby Zagadka » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:45 am

So many options.

Ending a good storyline with a big, known villain you've been working against for a while was always great.

So were tough battles with lots of enemies. Feel really powerful pwning tons of minions that keep action going for a while, making you conserve power for them all.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:49 am

I've said this before, but for me it was the first time my low level scrapper was suddenly in a Rikti invasion. All of those enemies! All of those buffs! It was great.

Taivas

Postby Taivas » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:47 am

As much as I dislike PvP in general, I think my most heroic moment was in Recluse's Victory. My WP/SS Tank was on the verge of being fully IO'd out and there were a few set bonuses I still wanted to pick up but I decided to pop into RV regardless. I found myself going up against a Brute which, by itself, proved to be an absolute breeze. He came back for more but I hadn't reaised that a Stalker was on the prowl.

Before I knew it, I was battling a Stalker and a Brute by myself. Luckily for me, Rage + insps + Knockout Blow + carefully slotted IOs = Instant death for the Stalker. He had a hard time getting hits in on me and an even harder time defending himself. The Brute was wearing me down while I was distracted by the Stalker and I guess luck must have been on my side because I somehow managed to down him a second time too.

It was like being the top dog in the yard, the big man. That's until a Mastermind joined the fray and I was swiftly annihilated by the redside trio. I didn't for a second go down without a fight, of course. The fact that it took three villains to dispatch me made me feel particularly heroic.

Chocko Canyon

Postby Chocko Canyon » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:17 pm

For me, it was shortly after I got my travel power. Playing a tank, cruising around Baumtown (Boomtown), seeing a small group of players overwhelmed by a horde of Fifth Column and super-jumping right into middle of the fight with a ground-crunching slam, and helping them defeat the Fifth Column scum. Super-jump was so remarkably done, so compelling, that I think I just super-jumped around town for a few hours enjoying the feeling of it.

Honoun

Postby Honoun » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:47 pm

I never got to play CoH, but people kept talking about it and now I feel so dejected that I had missed it. Still I'm pumped for SoH so there is that as concelation :D

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:50 pm

When did you feel most "Heroic" in CoH?
When I built my first Fire/ICE tank.
When I fire up all the AOE fire powers.
Wondering into a mob drop the Ice pad and watch the mob try to get away but instead they just fall and stumble. Then I would drop the burn AOE it was awesome.
lol.
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

zapped

Postby zapped » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:15 am

I felt the most heroic when my hero could step into another role to keep the mission going.

Our tank left so I stepped in with my Regen scrapper and finished the mission after we added another damage dealer.......those were usually much easier to find.

This overlap of archetypes was awesome in CoH and I hope it's continued here.

Not just for this reason but because it also allowed players to truly customize a character to their playstyle while adding more dimension to the game.

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:34 pm

I don't know about heroic but i can tell you the most villainous thing i did.

Does anyone remember the flat islands way way behind the Peregrine statue in Peregrine island full of GM's?
Well there happened to be a large meeting of lvl 50's under the statue, could have been a super group meeting or costume contest, not sure.
So i went and taunted a GM and brought it from one of the islands (took what seemed like ages) to the statue and then flew out of range and watched.
It was mass panic, death everywhere. Funniest thing i ever saw :lol:
Last edited by Turtlesandwich on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:05 pm

An odd one for me.

I had gotten a little bored soloing my dark/sonic defender, and in a fit of ennui, I accepted a blind invite. Bear in mind that the last time I had accepted a blind invite on this character, I was summarily kicked after being inside the door for less than a full minute with the explanation: "Sorry, thought you were a healer."

I arrive at a mission already in progress, with the team inside waiting. I zone in and am teleported to the elevator where the team is gathered. I say my hellos, and the action starts. Team is a little cautious, but we complete the mission without issues.

Conversation after the boss goes down (as closely as I can recall - it's been some twelve years):

Teammate 1: Did you turn down the difficulty after the wipe?
Team Leader: No, still the same. First floor was probably buggy.
Teammate 2: Yeah, should report it.

We continue and complete a couple of missions without incident and several more comments are made about lack of team wipes and how easy these new missions are.

To be fair, dark had very subtly FX, and with the light show that was a typical CoH team it was very easy to miss. I would have thought that at least one of them might be able to work out cause and effect, but I had long ago grown weary of trying to educate people about debuffs. I said my goodnights, and gave myself a congratulatory pat on the back for heroism that no one actually noticed.

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:18 pm

Dying Breath
........ I said my goodnights, and gave myself a congratulatory pat on the back for heroism that no one actually noticed.
LMAO!!! I love it. :lol:
Time to let Ol' Painless out of the bag.

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:25 pm

The defender set was the worse for getting a team if you were not a healer, more so in the lower levels. Level 50's, by then most people realised that you were quite useful.

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:23 pm

I just thought of something that might fit the thread.

Okay, so there were times when a particular character needs a particular TF or trial done. I start the recruiting process and, naturally, we end up heavy with one kind of archetype ... MINE. Despite all my searching and calling on all my channels there's nothing we can do aside from wait. Well... there's one thing we can do: somebody has to switch ATs to balance things out. When nobody was willing to switch I switched to get the thing started and done.
So, great, we got the TF/trial done finally. Now I'm back to my original problem of needing that TF/trial on the character I originally started recruiting with. D'oh!

Oh well. At least I helped out everyone else.
Time to let Ol' Painless out of the bag.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:18 pm

I had gotten a little bored soloing my dark/sonic defender, and in a fit of ennui, I accepted a blind invite. Bear in mind that the last time I had accepted a blind invite on this character, I was summarily kicked after being inside the door for less than a full minute with the explanation: "Sorry, thought you were a healer."
I occasionally heard about this happening, but I never saw it in person. I mean, if a team leader had done this while I'd been on the team I would have edumacated 'em. I'm amazed people got any kind of distance into the game without figuring this out, but I guess they had learnt the mindset from other games and never unlearnt it.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Manchine

Postby Manchine » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:24 pm

Defeating the first named villain. Only one I can really remember was Frostfire.
Check out my Super hero comic at www.globaldefenseforce.net its a real comic that started out as a web comic from city of heroes.

Also check facebook out #GlobalDefenseForceBoardGame for a board game where you can make your own characters.

Manchine

Postby Manchine » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:39 pm

I occasionally heard about this happening, but I never saw it in person. I mean, if a team leader had done this while I'd been on the team I would have edumacated 'em. I'm amazed people got any kind of distance into the game without figuring this out, but I guess they had learnt the mindset from other games and never unlearnt it.
This happened to me for my main. I was a bubbler.
Check out my Super hero comic at www.globaldefenseforce.net its a real comic that started out as a web comic from city of heroes.

Also check facebook out #GlobalDefenseForceBoardGame for a board game where you can make your own characters.

Return to “General Discussion”