When did you feel most "Heroic" in CoH?

Lord Drache

When did you feel most "Heroic" in CoH?

Postby Lord Drache » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:10 pm

While we all define "heroic" in our own way, I feel like there were many different ways that CoH could give you that feeling. Whether it was a particular story, fighting an AV, or just the mechanics of the game, there was something for everybody.

Personally, I worked hard to perfect my many different Scranker builds, whether it was /Invuln, /Shields, or /WP... I always liked to build my scrappers as a tanker backup. I loved playing those toons, because, to me, nothing felt more heroic than standing your ground whilst surrounded by a stupid number of baddies, spamming AoE's.

The times I felt most heroic, however, were when I was on a TF or mission team and the (probably poorly slotted) tank had bitten off more than he could chew or there was accidental aggro and the team started the ever dreadful wipe. And while the entire team was down and waiting to use their wakie or waiting for a rez, I'm still in the middle of the mob popping inspirations and spamming AoE's until the herd was thinned enough or eliminated, so players could start rezzing to continue the mish.

Blaze Rocker

Re: When did you feel most "Heroic" in CoH?

Postby Blaze Rocker » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:53 pm

I tended to actually feel heroic when I happened upon other players in trouble and I was able to help them out while not stealing their rewards.

I still remember the time when my Force Field defender came upon a team of three meleers in Perez Park who were getting stomped by one Eidolon boss. The boss was using Oppressive Gloom and none of the players had their mezz protection yet. Twice I watched this team go in, make a couple of attacks and then desperately try to stumble away in different directions as the Eidolon picked one out to administer a beat-down. When I was finally able to stop laughing my butt off I engaged my Dispersion Bubble and flew right in. As my Bubble cleared their disorientation I popped some shields on them and they quickly dispatched the boss.
Valuable lessons were learned that day such as the importance of getting your mezz-protection powers as early as possible, the importance of carrying mezz-protecting inspirations and the value of teaming with Force Field defenders. 8-)
Time to let Ol' Painless out of the bag.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:37 pm

what was that mission... rescue hostages from the trolls given by Julius the troll level 12 -15 I think.

back in the early days there was a glitch in the rescue hostages from the trolls mission where if you aggroed a mob they would Teleport back to the entrance area. The glitch was only around for a week or so.

I was in a pick up group and I we were running through the mission and everything was disappearing before we could do anything. We ran through the entire mission but the mobs would keep disappearing. We head back to the entrance and found them all.

we had to kill the boss.. Gundar? one of our blasters tries to pick off a few on the outskirts and he aggro's most of the group and faceplants before our defender could do anything. the rest of the team faceplant shortly thereafter except for the defender her name was Sugar and Spice and myself. she's in a bad way but I was able to pull the mobs off of her, and nearly die but she heals me up quickly. We had a long in game and real life friendship after this mission or rather that started because of this mission.

So I am holding my own but my damage isn't doing a lot, I move the mob away from the area where everyone died while Sugar keeps me alive and is then able to start resurrecting team members. I'd walk over to a dead team member and they would hand me all the purples and greens they had and I would continue tanking until she could resurrect them. (I think she got Recall Friend just so she could move dead players to her after that mission).

long story short we got the team resurrected and defeated the bad guys. It was my first big Tanking / heroic moment, I couldn't have done it without Val, I have no idea how she kept me alive. afterword we would always check if either of us were online before going on a mission.

lol she had the coolest keybinds. she is the one who started teaching me about them.
Last edited by Golden Ace on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:44 pm

I have a friend that is now a bigwig at Pixar. He had played the game a lot, but his wife was having twins. And, we did not see him for dust for months. High profile job, new twins, yeah, we totally understood. So our group got a number of level caps.

And then he came back to the game, and we were all glad to see him. His best character was level 40, and he wanted to jump into the game with us, so we decided to Power Level him. This was pre-GDN, so we started thinking what would get him up into the upper 40s the fastest. That night it was just three of us and The Flaming Wick. Yep, that was his name, obviously a fire blaster. One guy logged in a 31 that sidekicked to me, and the other guy logged in a 46 alt, and FW sidekicked to him. And me? I was on Gladness, my Hami'd out Darkety Dark Dark Scrapper, so the killing was on me. We are in a Counsel mission running on the highest difficulty.

The first group is about 10 level 54 Counsel that included a boss and a Lt. *GULP* But I had a job to do, and I stealthed, CoD'd and got right in the middle of them. Triggered Soul Drain and then hit Tenabrous Tentacles. And, all the minions fell to the ground! 'OK, I can do this!' jumped in my head. I cleared the group and did a muscle flex emote, even though no one else could see it!

Then I went to town, destroying the bad guys and finishing off the Elite Boss at the end solo. We exited to see that the 46 was now 47, FW was 43, and the 31 was 36! WOOT! I flexed muscles again!

I felt like a true badass at the end of that mission! By the end of the night the Flaming Wick was 47, and high enough to run with us.

Mission accomplished!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:15 am

Blaze Rocker you said ...
I tended to actually feel heroic when I happened upon other players in trouble and I was able to help them out while not stealing their rewards.
and i feel the same way I feel " Heroic " when i can help a new-bee with there mission ...
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Vanishingpointe

Postby Vanishingpointe » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:34 pm

It wasn't very heroic, but man, having Hellion punting contests with knockback in Atlas Park sure did make me feel super :)

Lord Drache

Postby Lord Drache » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:02 am

It wasn't very heroic, but man, having Hellion punting contests with knockback in Atlas Park sure did make me feel super :)
:lol: Oh man, I forgot about that. My first 50 was an NRG/NRG blaster and I remember the first time I returned to Perez Park. It was raining Hellions.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:24 am

One of my group of friend's favorite things to do was in the Shadow Shard. Everyone except me would go tank. I would grab my capped and Hami'd energy/energy Blaster, and we would head out to one of the ring worlds. There, the tanks would agro bad guys, drag them to the edge of the ring, and them I would hit them with Power Push after using Power Buildup. I sent some guys flying for miles! We would ROFLMAO then go grab the next one!

Man, that never got old!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Country Strong

Postby Country Strong » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:39 pm

Fighting any of the Arch Villains always felt heroic to me.

wayyyback

Postby wayyyback » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:05 pm

Howdy Y'all... first time poster!

I don't know about anyone else, but when my team completed the Cavern of Transcendence from Karsis, that was heroic elation right there!
Even better when it took 2 tries or less. When I think about how awesome it was to fight through the Trolls, Circle of Thorns and Igneous to locate the Obelisks and try to touch them simultaneously... Great memories. Favorite Trial.

I'm really excited about getting in and playing this game. Keep up the good work Devs!!

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:04 pm

Vanishingpointe you said you were Hellion Punting...
I never until this day herd of that " Hellion Punting " ... ooooh man that would be really fun .... hopefully Ship will have "Knock-Back "

But alas some of my fellow ship mates are not wanting " Knock-back " ... so we got to convince the DEV's that we need "Knock-Back" with a select button to make "Knock-back" into "knock-down" or "knock-up"
... and yes I know ... that there will be those that will say after betting up a female bad-ee " well just knocked her up " but well deal with that when it comes down to it ... :lol: :lol: ;)
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

StNicky

Postby StNicky » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:13 pm

There were a lot of wonderful moments with in game content, but in general it was when using a power in a way to get max effect or a weak power in a creative way to make it better.
For example Gale was generally a weak knockback power, tended to be of little use, that is unless you were on top of a tall building, or on the edge of lava. You could knock back a whole group over an edge, and actually cause damage. I also loved good team work, that let you maximize the effectiveness of your powers. Like laying out a field of land mines and having a tank or srcapper agro a group to run into them. The more you can work together (especially when taking on monsters and supervillians) the greater sense of victory in the end.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:08 pm

Vanishingpointe you said you were Hellion Punting...
I never until this day herd of that " Hellion Punting " ... ooooh man that would be really fun .... hopefully Ship will have "Knock-Back "

But alas some of my fellow ship mates are not wanting " Knock-back " ... so we got to convince the DEV's that we need "Knock-Back" with a select button to make "Knock-back" into "knock-down" or "knock-up"
... and yes I know ... that there will be those that will say after betting up a female bad-ee " well just knocked her up " but well deal with that when it comes down to it ... :lol: :lol: ;)
lol KNOCK-UP...

lets hope there are not too many all female villain groups otherwise Ace is going to have hock his armor due to lawsuits

Fem Fatal, "he knocked me up!"
Judge, "is this true Me. Ace?"
GA, "well I meant to just knock her down.."
judge, "So you knocked her down and then knocked her up?"
GA, "Can I settle out of court?"
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:29 am

lol @ Golden Ace :)

Any hero felt heroic during the location events - zombie outbreaks or rikti attacks. Everyone gathered at spot, buffing and protecting each other while hordes of enemies pounded on us. Those were wonderfully epic "stand-together against all odds" moments that I loved.

(I've spoken about my favourite moments of my main characters before, so anyone who's read my post can skip the next couple of paragraphs)

More specifically, Harlequynne's best moments were, like a few others, being the last one standing during a team wipe, and holding the fort while everyone rezzed. She didn't do much damage, but ill/storm could cause so much chaos and distraction, on top of perma-invis, hover and soft-capped defense from IOs, there wasn't much that was capable of touching her.

Ebon Angel ended up with three rez powers (rez from regen set, plus two veteran/event rezzes) - which meant even when she got put down, she wouldn't stay down. The refusal to give up, to just stubbornly stand back up and take another beating, constantly healing through it all, defined the character wonderfully for me.

Both of my specific "heroic" moments are ones where the character played like and up to their backstory - standing untouched in the middle of chaos, or bloody-mindedly facing and forcing through death after death, they were quite literally character defining moments.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

brawlizard

Postby brawlizard » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:24 am

I too felt the most heroic when as a very tanky scrapper could stand in the gap while the team reassembled. Or as my fire/rad/rad controller locking down a huge mess and still healing their ass off

Return to “General Discussion”