Travel Powers... From the beginning?

Solarverse

Re: Travel Powers... From the beginning?

Postby Solarverse » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:29 pm

Hey guys, I had a chance to chat with Consultant last night. When this travel power poll comes up, make sure you vote, and get your friends that use this site to vote! This is a perfect example of HGC's vision for this game; They want it to be OUR game, not THEIR game. They were sure that they were going to start with travel powers, but after seeing what was being written in the forums, they thought they should poll the future players and see what they want.

This poll will likely come up again in the future. Once some non-dev players get a chance to try the game, they may want to put this poll (and maybe a few others) back up for reconsideration.

This is where you get your voice heard! Make it count!
I honestly preferred not having a travel power until after I had earned one. It gave the game a much higher sense of accomplishment. Then when Peace Bringers came out and you got your travel power at level 1, it was another sense of accomplishment because I had unlocked that character by leveling to 50. I would say keep it like it was in City of Heroes in the early years. My vote will reflect this. :)

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:33 pm

Thought:

What was the difference between hover and fly?

Speed, basically.
hover also didn't drift. with flight if you stopped you would keep going for a bit. with hover you would stop right away. I also think there was a knock-back inhibitor with hover.

in the early days prior to ED I knew some people who would 6 slot hover for speed as their travel power.
I always wished that the 'ultimate' power in the flight pool was Afterburner - By expending a significant burst of endurance, flight speed is increased by a factor of three for 15 seconds. One minute timer.

This with super slotted hover would have been the ultimate combo!

Group Flight was either ultra-awesome or ultra-sucky. I think Afterburner would have been a much better liked power.
I agree. I always thought that group flight sucked. - by the time you got group flight everyone had a travel power already. Afterburner now, that would have been a power worth taking. making flight the fastest travel power.

side note. I really liked Air Superiority from the flight travel pool. All my characters would take it even if they didn't take flight. I recall some boss fights early in Ace's career where air superiority was the sole reason I won.

for those that don't know Air Superiority would knock your target to the ground. and they couldn't attack right away until they got up again. That Ice Slick, and the slows inherent in the Ice secondary meant I could outlast most one on one fights. it took forever in a day, but hey I enjoyed it. :D
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:36 pm

I honestly preferred not having a travel power until after I had earned one. It gave the game a much higher sense of accomplishment.
This. could not agree more.

Lord Drache

Postby Lord Drache » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:15 pm

Thought:

What was the difference between hover and fly?

Speed, basically.
hover also didn't drift. with flight if you stopped you would keep going for a bit. with hover you would stop right away. I also think there was a knock-back inhibitor with hover.

in the early days prior to ED I knew some people who would 6 slot hover for speed as their travel power.
I always wished that the 'ultimate' power in the flight pool was Afterburner - By expending a significant burst of endurance, flight speed is increased by a factor of three for 15 seconds. One minute timer.

Group Flight was either ultra-awesome or ultra-sucky. I think Afterburner would have been a much better liked power.

I could get on board with that... especially if afterburner came with an animation of breaking the sound barrier or something.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:45 pm

I could get on board with that... especially if afterburner came with an animation of breaking the sound barrier or something.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:54 am

In a huge ship, you need some way of getting around - even if it's just a jetpack. Superheroes that can't reach the villians they're supposed to be fighting might as well go back to tinkering with the engines or painting the outside of the ship.

A possibility could be to start (or get at a very low level) a basic travel power then earn powerups for it as you go either through missions or gain them as drops from aliens or whatever.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:55 am

I could get behind the idea of a quest line that unlocks each power, but only has to be done once per power per account. Especially if it can be done fairly early.

That way, players can pick when they want to invest the time to unlock it. Gives players a bit more control over when they get it, adds more gameplay, provides the satisfaction of "earning" the power, but doesn't penalise alt-makers.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

zapped

Postby zapped » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:23 am

Here's my idea:

Have characters reach a certain level before getting a travel power

BUT once they've earned a specific travel power, such as flight, unlock it from the beginning on all subsequent characters.

If you wanted superspeed or teleportation you would still have to reach a certain level to unlock it.

This solution would allow players to experience the content from the outset but also allow for those of us with altitis at the same timr

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:59 am

I see this as a damned if you do and a damned if you don't situation. If everyone has travel powers from the beginning much of the content will be skipped by simply zooming toward the mission door not having to fight your way to it.

The Hollows for instance (pre Nerf) it made you learn, and you became a better player just for having learned how to avoid, or what not to pull getting to your mission.

giving travel powers to vets, would mean that new players will see other level 1 players their level that have access to a travel power that they don't, and will think the game is unfair, or a pay to play, etc..., before even trying it out.

There is not going to be a magical solution to make everyone happy. You have to do what is best for the game. and if its decided that getting a travel power from level one, level 14, or from a special mission is the way to go then so be it. not all of us will be happy with that decision, but if its what is best for the game I think we can all understand and support that decision.

I do have a suggestion though just came to me as I was writing this. it was mentioned in one of the videos about a suppression zone or something for Travel powers. so I thought how about a Travel Power Curse that prohibits the activation of a travel power for an x amount of time or until cure is found at the next mission?

GA

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:35 pm

how bout this ...when you earn the travel powers you get your choise sooner at a lower lvl ... But if you wait for a higher lvl ( both to be decided by the DEV's ) then you get a special look travel power at the higher lvl ...
like the one Golden Ace suggested and earlier talked about ...

...If we have Contrails in game its because Golden Ace Suggested them ...

so the flying special look could be a contrail or a sound barrier wave front , or lighting streaks out the back...

a Super speed would work the same way ... a simple SP if obtained early with no effects , or if gotten later SP w/ speed streaks , or lighting flashing under foot or vapor poofs following ...

An then there is TP ...a simple TP would go ... poof leaving and zing arriving if taken earlier or ... a portal entry and portal exit , or a dissolve into a energy stream apon entry and a blast apon exit ...
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:53 pm

Oh that's going to come back to bite me.

Jasix

Postby Jasix » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:08 pm

When CoH made travel powers at a much earlier level I rejoiced! I HATED waiting until level 20 to get flight/SJ/SS (I never liked TP as a travel power). I wouldn't mind if it was like level 2-4 here since the game is starting with probably only 20 levels, but I do not want to feel gimped most of my journey in the beginning slogging along with sprint. I really wished Super Jump was one of the travel powers that was released at launch as that was my main travel power I chose; I liked combat jumping/SJ.
If we are already super heroes I think it important that we feel super and jogging around a huge spaceship would not feel super to me in the slightest or having to rely on some temporary power to get places. I also hope that fly here is a tad quicker than it was in CoH as I always loved the power, but even slotted it still felt much slower than someone with SS/SJ.
Original backer #122.

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:25 pm

The Hollows for instance (pre Nerf) it made you learn, and you became a better player just for having learned how to avoid, or what not to pull getting to your mission.

I spent what seems like an eternity in the hollows with my first character, such a evil place to negotiate without travel powers, so many large mobs close together. How many times did you get taken out trying to get to a mission. It did me good to go through it though, valuable lessons learned. Its a tough call.

I guess it wont matter to veteran players if they have a power straight up as they have seen it all before, but for newbies will they be missing out on something?
Last edited by Turtlesandwich on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:54 pm

I spent what seems like an eternity in the hollows of my first character, such a evil place to negotiate without travel powers, so many large mobs close together. How many times did you get taken out trying to get to a mission. It did me good to go through it though, valuable lessons learned. Its a tough call.

I guess it wont matter to veteran players if they have a power straight up as they have seen it all before, but for newbies will they be missing out on something?
I was able to navigate it very well after a few years. :D or if you did aggro, just keep running. (preferably not into another mob) :D

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:11 am

I spent what seems like an eternity in the hollows of my first character, such a evil place to negotiate without travel powers, so many large mobs close together. How many times did you get taken out trying to get to a mission. It did me good to go through it though, valuable lessons learned. Its a tough call.
I was able to navigate it very well after a few years. :D or if you did aggro, just keep running. (preferably not into another mob) :D
Avoiding The Gulch always helped :) You soon learned that funny coloured areas on the ground shouldn't be stepped on...
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Return to “General Discussion”