Travel Powers... From the beginning?

Lord Drache

Travel Powers... From the beginning?

Postby Lord Drache » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:09 pm

I may have misunderstood, but based on what I read, each hero will be able to fly from the very beginning?

Personally, one of the things I loved about CoH was all the milestones from leveling, including earning your travel power. Toons started off pretty useless. You were slow, didn't have a cape, and only had a couple of weaker attacks/shields/abilities at the beginning. One of the major turning points in your characters development was lvl 14 when you received your travel power, then lvl 20 to get your cape, then you received your Aura at lvl 30? I guess I just like the idea of having to earn a travel power. Thoughts?
Last edited by Lord Drache on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Ace

Re: Travel Powers... From the beginning?

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:35 pm

I may have misunderstood, but based on what I read, each hero will be able to fly from the very beginning?

Personally, one of the things I loved about CoH was all the milestones from leveling, including earning your travel power. Toons started off pretty useless. You were slow, didn't have a cap, and only had a couple of weaker attacks/shields/abilities at the beginning. One of the major turning points in your characters development was lvl 14 when you received your travel power, then lvl 20 to get your cape, then you received your Aura at lvl 30? I guess I just like the idea of having to earn a travel power. Thoughts?
I'm with you.

it gave me something to strive for. I wanted to fly! and would do whatever it took to do so. it was a milestone that I think needs to be here. get your travel power at level xx instead of 1. make us trudge through the zones and see everything up close and personal. heck just traveling through the hollows in the early days was a learning experience in itself.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Dirtsleeper

Postby Dirtsleeper » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:19 pm

I also agree. I think the travel powers should be unlocked at certain thresholds and not given at character creation.
Ship of Heroes Programmer

Blaze Rocker

Travel Powers: "Almost" From the beginning.

Postby Blaze Rocker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:24 pm

My view is a tad bit different on the issue, just a tad.

While the devs can choose whatever they want, I personally don't think we should have travel abilities at the very beginning. Honestly, I think we should have access to travel abilities at level 2 and beyond. Seems weird I would choose that level but there is a reason for my thinking.

In both CoH tutorials there was a significant incident going on, with the destruction of Galaxy City being way worse than the contamination in Outbreak. The tutorial can, and should, represent at least one of several milestones in a hero's career: a rite of passage in the eyes of others, natural growth or a defining character moment. I feel that leveling up from 1 to 2 should accomplish at least two of those milestones, perhaps all three, and upon making those significant milestones the character should earn the ability to travel like a superhero and be viewed as one by both the people they will serve and the heroes they will serve alongside.
It's also possible that while going through the tutorial the character gets to choose their travel ability before actually leveling from 1 to 2, but it must happen after the character has gained some experience. They shouldn't have a travel ability from the start. A travel ability must be earned. It can be earned quickly and easily but it still must be earned somehow, or perhaps even reacquired after a temporary loss.

So there is my opinion. No travel abilities from the start (0 XP) but access to them by level 2.
Last edited by Blaze Rocker on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you defund the police, the terrorists win.

Zagadka

Postby Zagadka » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:27 pm

Gotta agree with OP - developing more powers after working and gaining them is far more rewarding (and easier to balance mobs in particular zones). If you can fly etc immediately... there is no room for growth, no reward, nothing to strive for.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:22 pm

I'm going to dissent - people were NOT happy with having to wait for travel powers - to the point that Paragon started giving out temp jet packs almost immediately after they took over. The first issue after they took over was also the one where veterans got their travel power at level 6.

If we have to wait to the end of the tutorial to get a travel power, thats OK, but I know the dev team was planning on having travel powers upon character creation.

By the way, there are 3 travel powers planned for release - Flight, Super Speed and Teleport. You can pick whichever you want. It is probably a good idea to get a jet pack ASAP, since there are some areas that will be very difficult to get to without some tyope of flight ability. The reason you see all of the devs flying is because they chose to do the animation work on the hardest one, Flight, first. Super Speed should be ready *next*.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Lord Drache

Postby Lord Drache » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:54 pm

I'm going to dissent - people were NOT happy with having to wait for travel powers - to the point that Paragon started giving out temp jet packs almost immediately after they took over. The first issue after they took over was also the one where veterans got their travel power at level 6.

If we have to wait to the end of the tutorial to get a travel power, thats OK, but I know the dev team was planning on having travel powers upon character creation.

By the way, there are 3 travel powers planned for release - Flight, Super Speed and Teleport. You can pick whichever you want. It is probably a good idea to get a jet pack ASAP, since there are some areas that will be very difficult to get to without some tyope of flight ability. The reason you see all of the devs flying is because they chose to do the animation work on the hardest one, Flight, first. Super Speed should be ready *next*.

I don’t think I would mind a temporary jet pack (that was slower and more limited than actual flight), especially since it sounds like some sort of flight is necessary for the world or having travel powers available at a much lower level after a certain milestone (having a toon hit the lvl cap permanently allows travel powers to be obtained at lvl 6 for an example) but I do think it would feel much more rewarding if you had to work for them the first go-round.

Vanishingpointe

Postby Vanishingpointe » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:06 pm

Well, do we have solid assurance of level 1 travel powers? Even if we do, there is no saying they'll be fully fledged from the get go. Maybe super speed starts as a super jog? Maybe more advanced versions like bullet flight or group teleportation become available later?

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:19 pm

Vanishingpointe good thought ...
Well, do we have solid assurance of level 1 travel powers? Even if we do, there is no saying they'll be fully fledged from the get go. Maybe super speed starts as a super jog? Maybe more advanced versions like bullet flight or group teleportation become available later?
I'm on the fence with this one could go ether way ... that said I do believe that earning what one get is more pleasing , working for that which one wants for your toon is a grate accomplishment...

Making a travel power progress over a few lvl's is not a bad thing ... in COH one got hover before you got flight...
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:57 am

Earning a travel power may be more 'rewarding' the first time you do it but, for me at least, creeping around at a snails pace on subsequent characters was nothing short of annoying.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Vanishingpointe

Postby Vanishingpointe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:23 am

Had a hard time sleeping last night, so I picked a bit at the idea I had suggested offhand: travel power progression. CoX had some related powers in the Travel Pools, but most were pretty subpar when compared to the utility of the travel power proper.

As an extension of the highly customizable character tenant, I'd like to suggest that travel powers grow with the character, that way a sense of accomplishment is maintained, and there is no painful crawling around the city waiting on level 14.

The following suggestions are a result of sleep loss, so take them with a grain of salt. At the time, it seemed like presenting travel powers as a branching tree would accomplish both of the goals I stated above. There's room for improvement and expansion.

Flight-running jump to flight, must maintain velocity/bearing
launch-instant top speed
bullet flight-increased flight speed
flyby-fly to enemy and strike them in flight, ending behind them x meters
Flying tackle-knockdown, knockback
Divebomb-aoe knockdown
Hover-stay aloft with no forward motion
Sonic Boom-Fly by AOE Knockdown
Tempest-disturb debris, aoe accuracy debuff
Snatch-grab a baddie and drop them like a rock, grab a friend and bring them along (careful on the landing release!)

Super Speed-wind up to top speed over distance
Velocity-run faster
Boost-instant top speed
Run by attack-
Shoulder Tackle-rush, close gap
Wake of flame-leave flaming tracks
Launch-increase jump height/distance
Rapidity-series of melee strikes
Surface Tension-walk on water
Sonic Rush - Run by AOE knockdown
Dodge-defense up
Frictionless-slide to a stop, drift
Whirlwind-disturb debris, aoe accuracy debuff

Teleportation-sight, wind up, multidirectional
Blink-teleport back x meters
Phase-go through solid material
Blink of an eye-instant TP
Group Teleport-bring the whole party
Dimensional Anchor-TP to location/lair/base
Shudder Step-instant close and melee
Teleport other - pull an enemy or a friend from position and deposit them somewhere to your liking
Be everywhere-aoe melee strike, interrupt (rapid teleportation strikes)

Taivas

Postby Taivas » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:50 am

One of the most memorable and exciting moments of CoH for me was when I was brand new to the game and had just hit level 6. I immediately took "Hover" and had a blast with it. Even though it was painfully slow, I loved knowing that flight was just around the corner. I think that, if at the time I had been given access to flight immediately, I wouldn't have appreciated it anywhere near as much as when I managed to hit 14 and rush back to Atlas to acquire it.

There's something in the journey that makes the destination all the more fun and worthwhile. It was a similar story with WoW back in its vanilla days. Getting a mount took 40 levels of grinding, exploring, dying, and accomplishing, but when you were finally able to get that damn mount it felt like you'd climbed a mountain. On the other hand, I can totally understand having altitis. After the hundredth toon you do start to lose that magic and wish for instant gratification as you level.

Solari

Postby Solari » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:00 am

I think it needs to be earned. Give access early on as long as its in a lesser form. Levels and upgrades need to go into travel powers to make them godly IMO.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:15 am

OK, I sketched out an upcoming poll question on travel powers, which has gone into the queue. It should be soon. This is the question, as currently drafted:

Should some travel powers have to be “earned” through special missions/gameplay? If so, which ones? [Choose All that Apply]

A. Flight (not jetpack)
B. Superspeed
C. Teleport
D. Travel powers don’t need to be earned; I choose one as I level up.
E. Travel powers don’t need to be earned; I choose one at character creation.

Should this poll question be adjusted, or is it more or less good to go? Or do we need additional poll questions to flesh this out completely?

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:10 am

Add a choice;

Select travel power when completing the tutorial?
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Return to “General Discussion”