What are you looking forward to most in SoH?

Dirtsleeper

What are you looking forward to most in SoH?

Postby Dirtsleeper » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:30 pm

The title pretty much sums it up. In addition to the question in the title, what specific announced feature are you looking forward to and what feature do you wish ends up making it into the whether it's been hinted at or something you just want to experience in game?

For me it's definitely the raids and "questing" because those are my two favorite things to do in WoW. My would be added feature would be pvp mini games similar to what WoW has like capture the flag, king of the hill, etc.
Ship of Heroes Programmer

Golden Ace

Re: What are you looking forward to most in SoH?

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:59 pm

• Personal Lairs - I really think they would be a big boon to the game.
  • The Character Creator. Yeah I spend hours at that and look forward to doing so again.
  • A more versatile Emote system than what CoH had. toward the end it started getting better, but ...
  • A keybinding system that was as easy to use and as versatile as CoH.
  • But the big one is I really just want to feel super again. There is nothing quite like taking on a whole group of bad guys and outlasting them. I guess it depends on your play style, Me? I loved playing Tanks.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Zagadka

Postby Zagadka » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:41 am

Power sets. Being able to create mostly unique combinations and filling a type or role. Combat is the bread and butter, and finding new ways to approach combat is half of the fun. Interesting long-term storylines for factions are also important.

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:06 am

[Edit: clarification at the start]

My post is mostly about what CoH did right and what i would like SoH to be. Mostly i feel you guys are on the right track.

1) Feeling heroic. That's the thing CoH got right. In other MMOs the more you level up the less powerfull (compared to same level mobs) you actually feel. In the end you need whole groups to defeat single normal enemies. In CoH the higher level you got the more crazy the tasks that you could accomplish. It was a power trip. My advice to devs: don't be shy to go over the top graphics wise.

2) People not taking themselves so seriously. Because of the goofy comic graphics and the over the top costumes people felt like they were in a comic universe. Everything is dramatic and ridicoulus at the same time, leading to a fun environment and mostly funny people.

3) Flying and super speed. That was always a good feeling.

4) Community. But that was pretty much a result of 1) and 2) i think.

5) Ability to do what you want. No gaming on rails.

Dirtsleeper

Postby Dirtsleeper » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:39 am

Are you just referring to keybinds for using powers and movement? If so, that's what I'll be working on and I'm aiming for something similar to WoW's keybinding system which I feel is very easy to use and versatile.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:03 am

Are you just referring to keybinds for using powers and movement? If so, that's what I'll be working on and I'm aiming for something similar to WoW's keybinding system which I feel is very easy to use and versatile.
powers, movements, and saying something at the same time.

I used WoW for years and it was not nearly as versatile as CoH was :/

Dirtsleeper

Postby Dirtsleeper » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:04 am

powers, movements, and saying something at the same time.

I used WoW for years and it was not nearly as versatile as CoH was :/
How would you improve WoW's?

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:47 am

not sure,

with CoH I had hundreds of rotating Taunts linked to my keybinds all of them were external and could be worked on without being in game. and I could assign every key to do something different if I so wished, by using the number pad I could load the keybind file I wanted then pressing F5 it would start the rotating bind I wanted. when it was completed it would set back to default. or if I decided to stop it mid bind I could do so by selecting another rotating bind or sending it back to the default with the press of a key. I also had a lot of other stuff I could use and do.

Zero was default. 1 was taunt binds then 1-9 for which taunt bind string I wanted. so 0 1 1 (0 default ) (1 Taunts) (1 Jingles) and my character would sing "sometimes you feel like a tank, sometimes you don't" and taunt the target then proceed to the second rotating bind on the series "Ace is the Tank with the helpful armored suit" and so on until it finishes and starts over again. pressing a 0 would set you back to default whereas pressing 1 would restart the same bind or 2-9 would give me a new set of rotating bind strings (2 favorite things), (3 Gilligan's island), 4 (ring of fire), 5 (all my old flames have new names) etc. each string had 10 to 12 lines I could sing out.

I had a mime who would go through all my mime emotes by the same system. pressing 0 7 1 (0 default ) (7 Mime) (1 wall) would be a mime pretending a wall was in front of him. 2 was the cut throat emote, 3 - 9 would do something else etc.

with wow it was all internal and not nearly as intuitive. the systems were not at all alike.

Dirtsleeper

Postby Dirtsleeper » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:29 am

not sure,

with CoH I had hundreds of rotating Taunts linked to my keybinds all of them were external and could be worked on without being in game. and I could assign every key to do something different if I so wished, by using the number pad I could load the keybind file I wanted then pressing F5 it would start the rotating bind I wanted. when it was completed it would set back to default. or if I decided to stop it mid bind I could do so by selecting another rotating bind or sending it back to the default with the press of a key. I also had a lot of other stuff I could use and do.

Zero was default. 1 was taunt binds then 1-9 for which taunt bind string I wanted. so 0 1 1 (0 default ) (1 Taunts) (1 Jingles) and my character would sing "sometimes you feel like a tank, sometimes you don't" and taunt the target then proceed to the second rotating bind on the series "Ace is the Tank with the helpful armored suit" and so on until it finishes and starts over again. pressing a 0 would set you back to default whereas pressing 1 would restart the same bind or 2-9 would give me a new set of rotating bind strings (2 favorite things), (3 Gilligan's island), 4 (ring of fire), 5 (all my old flames have new names) etc. each string had 10 to 12 lines I could sing out.

I had a mime who would go through all my mime emotes by the same system. pressing 0 7 1 (0 default ) (7 Mime) (1 wall) would be a mime pretending a wall was in front of him. 2 was the cut throat emote, 3 - 9 would do something else etc.

with wow it was all internal and not nearly as intuitive. the systems were not at all alike.
So all of this was manipulated outside the client?

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:27 pm

sorry for the late reply work happens.

yes, but you could also do some things inside the client also like creating the keybind file and assigning binds but just opening the text file would give you a better idea of what you were doing.

if you look at the keybind thread in ask a dev directory I posted the first keybind file that a friend sent me back in 05 she was very good at it, that is what I used to learn with, and start making my own binds.

a rotating bind was simply having this statement "$$bind_load_file c:\1\Gilligan02.txt" at the end of a bind telling it to go to the next bind in line.
I made a directory called "1" just because it was short and it kept all the keybinds in one directory.

F5 "♫ Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, A tale of a faithful Tank, ♪ $$powexec_name taunt$$bind_load_file c:\1\Gilligan02.txt

$$bind_load_file c:\1\Gilligan03.txt
$$bind_load_file c:\1\Gilligan04.txt etc

the bad part off all this is that they were located on the one computer say your desktop for instance., and if you went somewhere with your laptop you would have to load the files on it. not that they took up a lot of room.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:28 pm

I just want to be able to create a really nice (and hopefully near enough unique) looking character and get flying again. After that, everything's a bonus!

I want to see that City as well, we've all seen it in videoes and screenshots where it looks amazing... a real tease :)

And, of course, I'm looking forward to teaming with some great people again. The last few years have been a bit desolate in that regard with every MMO I've tried being a solo game with lost of other people around! I like some soloable things in an MMO but not everything!
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Dirtsleeper

Postby Dirtsleeper » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:43 pm

sorry for the late reply work happens.

yes, but you could also do some things inside the client also like creating the keybind file and assigning binds but just opening the text file would give you a better idea of what you were doing.

if you look at the keybind thread in ask a dev directory I posted the first keybind file that a friend sent me back in 05 she was very good at it, that is what I used to learn with, and start making my own binds.

a rotating bind was simply having this statement "$$bind_load_file c:\1\Gilligan02.txt" at the end of a bind telling it to go to the next bind in line.
I made a directory called "1" just because it was short and it kept all the keybinds in one directory.

F5 "♫ Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, A tale of a faithful Tank, ♪ $$powexec_name taunt$$bind_load_file c:\1\Gilligan02.txt

$$bind_load_file c:\1\Gilligan03.txt
$$bind_load_file c:\1\Gilligan04.txt etc

the bad part off all this is that they were located on the one computer say your desktop for instance., and if you went somewhere with your laptop you would have to load the files on it. not that they took up a lot of room.
Unreal uses a keybind file as well so most of this should be possible. The only thing that might need implemented extra would be the rotating keybinds like you're talking about.

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:26 pm

Serendipitous: I was just thinking about this today. Here are some commands that CoH used that I particularly liked and would very much like to see again.

target_custom_next <alignment> <state> <token> Allowed the player to pick out targets that met certain criteria based on the tokens. You needed at least one, and I believe CoH allowed 3. For instance: target_custom_next enemy alive sapper would target any enemy not yet defeated whose name contained "sapper." target_custom_next sapper would also work, but would also target dead sappers, as well as teammates with "sapper" in their name.

bind_load_file <filename> As you might suspect, this command loads a file containing one or more binds. This was the step needed for rotating bind files - generally each bind in the rotation would call the next and overwrite itself. I used to leave all my bindfiles in the /data directory so I didn't have to specify a path.

pow_exec_name <power name> This executed the named power, so long as it could be activated. This was used to free up slots on your hotbar. I frequently used this for my travel power.

go_to_tray <#> This command changed the active hot bar to whichever number was called. I used this frequently to get more buttons on my hotbar, since i have relatively short fingers: I can't comfortably reach beyond 7 without taking my hands off the movement keys. I disliked using the "alt" tray, again because it usually meant taking my fingers off the movement keys, and also because my alt-tray was usually full of powers too.

begin_chat <text> This command puts <text> into your chat window and places the cursor at the end of the line. I used this extensively for chatting in global (since there wasn't a better shortcut), as well as an on-the-fly custom target bind. I believe many players also used it to change the font for their chat bubbles.

insp_exec_name Activated an inspiration (single-use self-buff item) by name. In the beginning, I would organize my inspiration tray by color and size so I could use the default keys (F1-F4) to get a specific inspiration type. Tedious, unnecessary and far less efficient than rebinding the keys to pop insps by name.

Of course I would also like to use slash commands to chat in the various channels without having to change my chatbar - I used to leave my active chat in a dead global channel and use slash commands to direct my chats ever since I accidentally sent a rather unkind message to /team rather than /sg. I think this is generally a given in MMO's.

I think what made the CoH system so elegant was the ability to string together multiple commands on the same line by using "$$" between commands. For instance the insp-popper bind was: "insp_exec_name respite$$insp_exec_name dramatic Improvement$$insp_exec_name resurgence" Also note that the underscores were for readability only - the server ignored them entirely. Since we had a limit (255 characters?) to the length of the bind, I used to drop all of them.

Starting to ramble again, so I'll wrap up here. Anyone else have something to add? Or want to recommend a good psychiatrist?

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:11 pm

bind_load_file <filename> As you might suspect, this command loads a file containing one or more binds. This was the step needed for rotating bind files - generally each bind in the rotation would call the next and overwrite itself. I used to leave all my bindfiles in the /data directory so I didn't have to specify a path.
*Facepalm* :oops:

it never occurred to me....

Grazer01

Postby Grazer01 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:06 am

Can we have the ability to add more power trays as well? And along with that I was always more of a "macros" guy and not so much a "keybind" person. I added an extra tray so I could add macros buttons to it.

Return to “General Discussion”